Namecheck: Congressmen willing to help

forrest_gump

Registered Users (C)
Gurus,

I am stuck in namecheck, and I wrote to a couple of my Congressmen (about 10 days ago) to help me out. Both of them contacted me today - one through email, and the other through regular mail.

One of them told me that they have placed a "congressional inquiry" with USCIS, and will let me know once they hear back.

The other Congressman told me that they have requested FBI to "expeditiously process" my case. (He also attached a copy of the letter that he faxed to FBI).

Here's my question: How long does it take from the time a Congressman initiates an inquiry to the time the case is resolved by FBI/USCIS?

Does anyone have any anecdotal experience to share?

My details:
I-140: ND: July 2006; AD: Aug 2006
I-485: ND: Oct 2006

I am also in the same boat. Is it possible for you to pass on the information as to where can I contact regarding this case.

PD: 06/08/2001
I485: Applied 08/13/2004
Case moved from VSC to TSC.

Thanks,

Hey Listen,

Gurus,

I am stuck in namecheck, and I wrote to a couple of my Congressmen (about 10 days ago) to help me out. Both of them contacted me today - one through email, and the other through regular mail.

One of them told me that they have placed a "congressional inquiry" with USCIS, and will let me know once they hear back.

The other Congressman told me that they have requested FBI to "expeditiously process" my case. (He also attached a copy of the letter that he faxed to FBI).

Here's my question: How long does it take from the time a Congressman initiates an inquiry to the time the case is resolved by FBI/USCIS?

Does anyone have any anecdotal experience to share?

My details:
I-140: ND: July 2006; AD: Aug 2006
I-485: ND: Oct 2006

I've been through all this process. It typically takes a month or more to get response from FBI. But from USCIS it could be in two weeks. Again, it's my experience.

Begreen, you can post the information on this thread, or you can send me a private message.

I am also in the same boat. Is it possible for you to pass on the information as to where can I contact regarding this case.

PD: 06/08/2001
I485: Applied 08/13/2004
Case moved from VSC to TSC.

Thanks,

Thanks srichalam. That's helpful information.

Anyone else have any similar experience?

I've been through all this process. It typically takes a month or more to get response from FBI. But from USCIS it could be in two weeks. Again, it's my experience.

Hey,

when we contact congressman/senators - these days - the common response is - we will create a congressionl inquiry with USCIS (email)...and USCIS gets back to them (email response) with the status 485 pending/namecheck pending or so...and that's it.....and USCIS is happy to blame FBI for namecheck delay...

So, expect a status update from USCIS and nothing more...!

But, in your case, it looks like the other congressman is contacting FBI - that's awesome.....if they talk to FBI and can push your namecheck through...your namecheck can clear fast.....

most senators/congressman - that I spoke to these...days...refuse to contact FBI...that way - it's good for you, that the other congressman is talking to FBI at least

Hi banta4gc,

Thanks for the information. Yes, you're right - most Congressmen send just a routine inquiry to the USCIS, as one of my Congressmen did.

Hence, I was pleasantly surprised to receive this letter from my Congressman.

I was particularly impressed with the fact that he explicitly requested FBI to "expeditiously process" the name checks pertaining to my case.

I guess he has a better knowledge of the system. This Congressman has been actively involved with the Congressional Committee on Immigration. So perhaps that's why he knows that I-485 petitions get held up due to the "name check" from FBI. In fact, even in his letter to me he mentioned that these days, I-485 cases get delayed due to complex FBI name check.

Anyway, let's hope things turn out fine.

Hey,

when we contact congressman/senators - these days - the common response is - we will create a congressionl inquiry with USCIS (email)...and USCIS gets back to them (email response) with the status 485 pending/namecheck pending or so...and that's it.....and USCIS is happy to blame FBI for namecheck delay...

So, expect a status update from USCIS and nothing more...!

But, in your case, it looks like the other congressman is contacting FBI - that's awesome.....if they talk to FBI and can push your namecheck through...your namecheck can clear fast.....

most senators/congressman - that I spoke to these...days...refuse to contact FBI...that way - it's good for you, that the other congressman is talking to FBI at least

Info needed...

How we get the information about namecheck ? Does USCIS give it over the phone ? Is there a particular way to ask USCIS the information ?

Thanks,

Hi begreen,

You should contact the Congressmen who are from your state. Congressmen can either be a Senator or a House Representative.

On this forum, people use the term "Congressman" to refer to a House Representative, but technically, both Senators and House Representatives are "Congressmen"

If you post the name of your state, I can give you some suggestions regarding who might be suitable Congressmen to contact. (I spend quite a bit of time on political forums and election campaigns, and so I have a rough idea as to which Congressmen are more sympathetic (vs. less sympathetic) to new immigrants).

FYI: I contacted 1 Democratic Senator and 1 Republican senator, and from their past records, I know they are both pro-immigration.

Hi forest_gump,

I just need information if possible from you as to which (Senator's and Congressman) you contacted. Can I approach them??

begreen

hudakchullu,

The best way to get definitive information about namecheck is to set up an infopass appointment. At infopass, the immigration officer will tell you if you are stuck in namecheck.

How we get the information about namecheck ? Does USCIS give it over the phone ? Is there a particular way to ask USCIS the information ?

Thanks,

hudakchullu,

Thats right, the best way is to get infopass appointment and ask the immigration officer. I just did this today morning.

forrest_gump,

I am from the state of NJ. Please let me know which congressmans are good.

Thanks,

begreen

hudakchullu,

The best way to get definitive information about namecheck is to set up an infopass appointment. At infopass, the immigration officer will tell you if you are stuck in namecheck.

Begreen,

Both your Senators (Lautenberg and Menendez) are favorable and sympathetic towards immigrants.

Similarly, Representative Frank Pallone (the House Representative from NJ's 6th district) is extremely friendly and sympathetic towards immigrants.

The only problem for you is that since NJ has such a high number of immigration applicants, I am sure they have flooded these Congressmen with requests.

So the only reason Congressmen Pallone, or Lautenberg, or Menendez might turn down your request can be due to they being flooded with similar other requests over the past few years.

Otherwise, all 3 of them (and a few more NJ Congressmen) are extremely friendly towards immigrants.

Good luck!

hudakchullu,

Thats right, the best way is to get infopass appointment and ask the immigration officer. I just did this today morning.

forrest_gump,

I am from the state of NJ. Please let me know which congressmans are good.

Thanks,

begreen

Its of no use contacting these people.
I contacted all 3 of them Lautenberg, Menendez and Ferguson.
They will not contact FBI but only USCIS. And i got a letter from USCIS same old story - namecheck pending blah blah blah......
Now a days even FBI have started giving standard reply that its not possible to expedite and cannot promise when it will be done.

I donot understand, how will this get over with. Is it that we just have to wait? Is there any other process that we have to follow? Are there a lot of people awaiting for namecheck?

Its of no use contacting these people.
I contacted all 3 of them Lautenberg, Menendez and Ferguson.
They will not contact FBI but only USCIS. And i got a letter from USCIS same old story - namecheck pending blah blah blah......
Now a days even FBI have started giving standard reply that its not possible to expedite and cannot promise when it will be done.

I tried all the resources and nothing worked. I spent 3-4 months collecting information and contacting them . Its all waste of time and money and even cannot concentrate on work. Now i stopped everything and just concentrating on work.
one thing i dont understand when FBI is unable to send the results to the one USCIS requested then again next month so many people file for 485 and again USCIS will send even more name check to FBI. Its ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who in MA would be best candidate for name check expedite request?

Hi forrest_gump/Tom Hanks,
I am planning to send a request to congressman in MA. Can you please tell me who would be a good choice here?

Hi begreen,

You should contact the Congressmen who are from your state. Congressmen can either be a Senator or a House Representative.

On this forum, people use the term "Congressman" to refer to a House Representative, but technically, both Senators and House Representatives are "Congressmen"

If you post the name of your state, I can give you some suggestions regarding who might be suitable Congressmen to contact. (I spend quite a bit of time on political forums and election campaigns, and so I have a rough idea as to which Congressmen are more sympathetic (vs. less sympathetic) to new immigrants).

FYI: I contacted 1 Democratic Senator and 1 Republican senator, and from their past records, I know they are both pro-immigration.