Name on Green Card different from legal name

swadhwani

Registered Users (C)
Hello - my wife and I are getting ready to apply for our citizenship. My wife is Chinese and her first name has 2 parts. Consequently, her full name is ABC-DEF (first name), XYZ (last name). The green card approval notice and all other documents from the INS list her name correctly as XYZ, ABC-DEF.
However, the physical green card lists her name as XYZ, ABC D (implying that D is her middle initial).

On the N-400 form, they ask for
1 A) Legal Name and
1 B) Name as if exactly appears on the Green Card.

My question is, will they naturalize here with her legal name (as it appears on her foreign passport) or will they naturalize her with the name that appears on her physical green card? If the answer is the name on the green card, then perhaps it makes sense to check the "Name Change" box on the N-400 form and revert it back to XYZ, ABC-DEF.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

swadhwani said:
Hello - my wife and I are getting ready to apply for our citizenship. My wife is Chinese and her first name has 2 parts. Consequently, her full name is ABC-DEF (first name), XYZ (last name). The green card approval notice and all other documents from the INS list her name correctly as XYZ, ABC-DEF.
However, the physical green card lists her name as XYZ, ABC D (implying that D is her middle initial).

On the N-400 form, they ask for
1 A) Legal Name and
1 B) Name as if exactly appears on the Green Card.

My question is, will they naturalize here with her legal name (as it appears on her foreign passport) or will they naturalize her with the name that appears on her physical green card? If the answer is the name on the green card, then perhaps it makes sense to check the "Name Change" box on the N-400 form and revert it back to XYZ, ABC-DEF.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Legal name is what ever her name is in her current passport. She will be naturalized with that name, unless she requests for a name change during the N400 process.

ocworker said:
If you notice the bottom of her greencard, it shows

XYZ>>ABC>>DEF

ocworker - you are right, it does show XYZ>>ABC>>DEF at the bottom of the green card. Does this imply that the INS does not "print" a physical green card with a 2-part first name? On line 1b of the N-400 form (name as it appears on the green card), should I put XYZ, ABC D (as it appears on the top of the green card) or XYZ>>ABC>>DEF (as it appears on the bottom)?

Thanks
Sanjiv

i just got back from tenprints(biometrics ) a couple of days ago...i have the same exact problem,my first name and last name has been interchanged however all these years when i called the hotline they said they would correct it when applying for citizenship....in the biometrics they tried to make a deal out of it ,but since i have applied for name change on n400 they agreed to carry out the tenprints with my name as it appers on the green card.....
unfortunately i had i90 biometrics a month ago and they have given me 80 days to go back with notorised birth certificate and a affidavit attested by indian embassy;-]

hope this helps....nothing to worry for n400 if u have given for name change

for n400 in ur case print the name exactly as it appears on the green card and just n case if u wish ask for a name change giving her legal name in her motherland....

I would SUGGEST you take an INFOPASS and go into your USCIS District office and meet with an Immigration Officer and ONLY then fill out the form.

same problem

I have the exact same problem. My name is Chen, ABC DEF, and they put Chen, ABC D (treated D as middle name???)

So, what is the resolution on this?

Thanks
Jack

jackchen09 said:
I have the exact same problem. My name is Chen, ABC DEF, and they put Chen, ABC D (treated D as middle name???)

So, what is the resolution on this?

Thanks
Jack

yes, they treat DEF as a middle name.

What was your question?

again, in the bottome of your greencard, it prints

CHEN>>ABC>>DEF

On the top of the greencard, it prints

FIRST_NAME, MIDDLE_INIT, LAST_NAME

I am not sure what kind of "resolution" you are looking for thou.

Sanjiv,

My wife's first name too had a space in it - firstpart<space>secondpart. In the GC it was printed with a space - firstpart<space>lastpart. So in your wife's case, uscis treated it as a middle name.

thanks
Subbu

Legal name: Passport/Birth Certificate vs. Green card.

Dear friends,

I need URGENTLY help with the Legal Name vs. green card name issue.
I and my wife will apply to citizenship but this matter is really a nightmare.
Different people gives different interpretations.
So, I will try to do some statements that i believe are true. if for some reason I am incorrect, please help me with a brief explanation. Thanks! At the end I will give a brief summary of my case (why I am asking).

1. N400, part1, section A Your legal name.
- Use the one in your birthday certificate or Passport from your country of origin.
- Ignore the green card name. It doesn't matter if you have been using the GC name for your driver license, taxes or employment.
- Only use a different name AS LEGAL in case you got marriage in the USA or change the name in a USA court.

2. N400, part1, section B Your name exactly as it appears in your green card.
- Use the Name in the BOTTOM with the FULL middle name.
- Ignore the top "FIRST_NAME, MIDDLE_INIT, LAST_NAME" reference.

3. All the Green Cards have the Middle name abbreviatted with the initial only for the Middle Name AT THE TOP.

My case:
We got the green card in a consular process. I was the sponsor for my wife (my employer supported my petition).
The consulor forced my wife to use my last name. They said that that it was a requirement to link the two green cards. We could not complain. So, my wife had the oportunity to keep her orginal famliy name as the second middle name.
So, now our concern is which one is HER LEGAL NAME... the one in the passport-birth certificate... or the one in the GREEN CARD?
Which of them in the green card.. bottom... top?
Should she use the CHANGE OF NAME option to keep her original single name?

Thanks!

Jesus

Don't worry!

I am a Chinese, and have the same problem.

I got a help from Illinois Congressman last week,
and he checked with USCIS for me.

The answer is --- It's a pretty common problem for Chinese.
Since the system can not accept '-',
the only thing they can do is put a space between first name.
Then, the system 'think' it's First and Middle name there.

So, the name above your photo will be dfferent to the bottom one.
Don't worry, the system still keep your legal name,
but just can not print it out correctly.

Hope it's helpful.

Thanks for your answer.
I would like to make sure I understood your kind response.
1. The legal name (the one in our country of origin: birth ceritficate or passport) is in the goverment records linked to the GC in some way.
2. The name printed in the green card is not relevant since it can have some mistakes or modifications due to the administrative/capture process.
Thanks again.
Jesus

Actually, I got a surprise when I went for my fingerprints (the second time): The lady at the INS office said that my legal name was the name on the green card (married name), and she actually changed the information in the computer to match it.

I explained to her that my name was never legally changed and my passport and social security card still have my maiden name. She went to the supervisor, who confirmed that my legal name was the one on the GC... Other people at the INS office did not agree with this, but the change was made and submitted to the FBI.

Note that this same lady reviewed the fps the first time I went, and she did not say anything about the name on the green card being different from the legal name I have submitted in all application forms.

Given my experience, I would say that, just in case, you should check the name change box so that they do all pertinent checks before your wife gets the interview letter. If the Philly INS supervisors are right about this, then her citizenship records could end up with the wrong name.

I got another input that confirms your experience.

A friend followed the advise of an immigration attorney (neighbor's friend). The "legal" name is the one at the top of the Green Card (with the middle name initial). The attorney advise to put that name in the field A (legal). Then select "change of name" and enter the original name in the passport/birth ceritifcate. Apparently this process is safe and takes care of any possible error in processing the final name.
She has the interview, change of name, and oat ceremony next month. The same day. Her case is exactly as my wife situation.

In my case, the only concern is the MIDDLE_NAME_INITIAL at the top. At the bottom of the card, the name is correct. I had problems getting my driver license some years ago since the official insisted that my LEGAL name was the one at the top of the green card (with the INITIAL only). Obviously, my SS card, Passport and other documents showed my full middle name. She did not want to look in the bottom name field to confirm.

jjimmig said:
I got another input that confirms your experience.

A friend followed the advise of an immigration attorney (neighbor's friend). The "legal" name is the one at the top of the Green Card (with the middle name initial). The attorney advise to put that name in the field A (legal). Then select "change of name" and enter the original name in the passport/birth ceritifcate. Apparently this process is safe and takes care of any possible error in processing the final name.
She has the interview, change of name, and oat ceremony next month. The same day. Her case is exactly as my wife situation.

In my case, the only concern is the MIDDLE_NAME_INITIAL at the top. At the bottom of the card, the name is correct. I had problems getting my driver license some years ago since the official insisted that my LEGAL name was the one at the top of the green card (with the INITIAL only). Obviously, my SS card, Passport and other documents showed my full middle name. She did not want to look in the bottom name field to confirm.

I had to change my SS and driver licene to match with the top name field.
However, in my N400 form, I filled the bottom name as my "legal name", which it was "shown" on my greencard.

I put my top name as one of the name i used.
I requested to change my name by adding my english name with the full middle name with no space and no dash in between.

jjimmig said:
My case:
We got the green card in a consular process. I was the sponsor for my wife (my employer supported my petition).
The consulor forced my wife to use my last name. They said that that it was a requirement to link the two green cards. We could not complain. So, my wife had the oportunity to keep her orginal famliy name as the second middle name.
So, now our concern is which one is HER LEGAL NAME... the one in the passport-birth certificate... or the one in the GREEN CARD?
Which of them in the green card.. bottom... top?
Should she use the CHANGE OF NAME option to keep her original single name?

Thanks!

Jesus

It is interesting to know the Consulor forced your wife to use your last name.

I am intereted to see how my wife's name would print on her greencard. she received her immigrant visa thru DCF process in her home country thru married to me. We did not file her name using my last name. We were told to use her original "family name" in all the application form. her firstname has a dash in between 2 parts of the words. I wonder how USCIS going to enter her name in the system to turn out like

HER_ORIGINAL_LAST_NAME, FIRST_NAME MIDDLE_INIT_NAME

or

MY_LAST_NAME, FIRST_NAME MIDDLE_INT_NAME

Dear OCWORKER,

I would like to know how it ends for you and your wife.
I guess you had this option of used the bottom name in the GC since you checked the CHANGE OF NAME option anyway.

I feel that my wife is safe using the same approach.
My concern is that my BOTTOM name is my CORRECT ORIGINAL LEGAL NAME.
So, if I do NOT check the CHANGE OF NAME, there is some possibilities that they can use the middle initial in the final papers.
I read that they can make the change before the ceremony, so...
I will let you know my experience.
Thanks!

Name change - pls help

Hi everyone!

I have a green card with my married name. But I got a divorce and changed my married name back to my maiden name on my drivers license, social security, etc.
Do I have to change my name on my green card too? It's $370.
Or will my name automatically change to maiden name on US passport when filing the N-400, as I will put maiden name as legal name, and married name as name "as it appears on the permanent resident card"? Will this delay the naturalization process?

Thank you in advance for your help!