Name different on birth cert. & filing for Green card

h14life

Registered Users (C)
Hello folks,

I have a situation where my name on birth certificate is different from my passport. What happened was, the indian passport authority used my father's name as my last name. I was in a hurry to apply for my visa etc, so since then my visa, passport, college degree all have my First name and my father's name as my last name. I never bothered changing it. Now it's time to file green card and looks like this needs to be corrected. Here are some thoughts I have in order to proceed with

Option 1) Change my name to my original name as reflected on my birth certificate; so that will require getting a new passport, new H1 stamp w/ the changed name, new college degree issued with the name, new driving license, new Social Security #

Option 2) Get a new birth certificate with the name that I've been using so far while I'm in US. Doing this would be a easy way, but it's cumbersome to deal with local municipal authorities in India and very time consuming.

Option 3) Not sure if this is possible, but get some kind of affidavit saying that the name stated in Birth Certificate is the same as the one on Passport.

If there are any other faster and easier methods, experiences from anyone I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,
-Ram