Name Check

gccp2003

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,
Does anyone have any idea about Name Check process. I just attended the interview and my wife's name has been put for a Name Check.
Any idea how long this takes? I ve heard that in some cases it takes months!!
If that is the case, can I return to US on my H1 till I hear back from the consulate? My H1 has not been cancelled yet.

GCCP

gccp2003, is your wife's name a very common local name ?

Senior Members, any clue or idea if additional screening (Name Checks) are done for most commonly occuring local names or .... ??

Appreciate your comment.

RK

Hi guys,
Well her first name is a common local name. I havent heard anything from the consulate yet. Its more than a week now. Its a worrysome situation for us.

gccp2003:

Does anyone have any idea about Name Check process. I just attended the interview and my wife's name has been put for a Name Check. Any idea how long this takes? I ve heard that in some cases it takes months!!
* Takes upto 4 weeks and in very exceptional cases upto 6 months. General rule of thumb is 3-4 weeks.

If that is the case, can I return to US on my H1 till I hear back from the consulate? My H1 has not been cancelled yet.
* If you visa is not cancelled without prejudice and if you are the primary applicant on the GC case then yes you can return to usa on your valid visa. But if you are a derivative candidate for the cp process then the primary has to enter usa first so in that event you will not be able to enter usa. Are you the primary candidate for the gc process? For you has the GC approval packet been issued? Also what consulate are we referring to?

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the reply. The consulate is Mumbai consulate.
The consulate did not issue my GC packet separetely. I guess this is just a wait and watch situation.

gccp2003:

i know it is easy for me to say but just take it easy enjoy while you can ... if it has been 3+ weeks since this event contact the consulate for next steps! or even better is stop by the consulate information window for further information as opposed to talking to them over the phone!