Name check!! What is the time frame? Going nuts

wouldliketoknow

Registered Users (C)
I have filed I-140 and I-485 concurrently in Vermont center EB1 EA in august 2004. Current processing dates are more than half a year in advance. Immidration officer keeps telling me that my NAME CHECK is still in process and as soon as that is cleared she doesn't see any problems for my case to be approved.

Now what is this name check? She clearly said it wasn't FBI, but another instution that they employ and that USCIS has no way of checking what is going on exactly with one or the other case.

Has ANYONE had anything like this in their cases and knows what's up?
Really would ease my mind a bit if I knew what is the usual time frame for these things.

Thanks so much for any input.

wouldliketoknow said:
I have filed I-140 and I-485 concurrently in Vermont center EB1 EA in august 2004. Current processing dates are more than half a year in advance. Immidration officer keeps telling me that my NAME CHECK is still in process and as soon as that is cleared she doesn't see any problems for my case to be approved.

Now what is this name check? She clearly said it wasn't FBI, but another instution that they employ and that USCIS has no way of checking what is going on exactly with one or the other case.

Really would ease my mind a bit if I knew what is the usual time frame for these things.

Name checking is done by intelligence agencies, primarily the CIA. I have seen name checks take a couple months, and I have seen them take a couple years. If there is a hit on the name check, the agency needs to clear it and that can take a long time.

Question on the same topic. My I-140 at NSC is pending for more than an year and I was told that my application is stuck with "security review". Is this same as name check you are talking about? What happens if I file another I-140 at a different service center? What are the chances that it will stuck with a "security review"? If you get a hit at NSC, does that neccessarly mean that you will get a "hit" if you apply at another service center? Thanks.

wouldliketoknow

Hi, wouldlikwtoknow,

Any update with you case? I just wonder if you I-140 was stucked by "name check", did you receive any LUD online?

Which immigration office told you that "as long as the name check was cleared she doesn't see any problem for your case to be approved". It sounds like she know the case approved already but just wait for security clearance.

Thank you!

wouldliketoknow said: