Name check to I-485 question

tail_end

Registered Users (C)
Hello, this is a very informative site and am hoping somebody might have additional info on the following:
1. How long does it take for I-485 approval after name check is cleared? I got news 10 days back that name check has been cleared by FBI (where it was stuck for past 9 months) and am wondering what the delay is now.
2. Is there any other step between name check clearance and I-495 approval. My lawyer said 10 days back that my file is now with the USCIS officer (Neberaska).

Thanks much in adavance...

Wanted to add that my nationality is Indian and I am the dependant on an L1 A based GC application on EB 1 category. My husband's GC was approved in Feb 2007, 9 months ago.

Any info/ideas, anyone? My lawyer said they will check status on 27th, that would be 5 weeks already. I am posting my original question below:

1. How long does it take for I-485 approval after name check is cleared? I got news 10 days back that name check has been cleared by FBI (where it was stuck for past 9 months) and am wondering what the delay is now.
2. Is there any other step between name check clearance and I-495 approval. My lawyer said 10 days back that my file is now with the USCIS officer (Neberaska).

Priority date is current.....husband's I-140 was approved in Oct 2006...
nationality is Indian and I am the dependant on an L1 A based GC application on EB 1 category. My husband's GC was approved in Feb 2007, 9 months ago.

Hi tail_end,
How did you know that your Name check has been cleared by FBI? Can you post details?
did u call 1800 number and found out or did u r lawyer found out?

thanks

Assuming that PD is current (which it is) and all FBI checks are cleared (which it seems they are), your case is just awaiting final adjucidation. This can take as little as a couple of weeks or as many as few months, depending on the case load. It will probably be sooner rather than later. If there are no RFEs on your I-485 (like birth certificate translation problems, proof of marriage, etc) then you should get it soon. I don't think anybody on this site can predict the exact time frame as these things vary. Good luck.

And yes, it's very evident that you are Indian from the language structure of your post!! :)

There was an RFE in Dec of last year - on a birth certificate. I have a duplicate with name missing. Plus I was registered only in an army cantt. so wasn't able to secure a missing certificate document from India. I did submit a notorized affidavit from both my father as well as mother, stating I am their daughter as well as the Army base being the only documenting agency. (The missing birth certificate was issued by army hospital)

If there is an RFE, can this adjudication go on for months?

What language structure :) ?

Okay, it looks like any RFEs on your case were already done, so hopefully it will only be a matter of a few weeks for approval. Which service center by the way?

Oh - many Indians never use the word "ago", so "10 days back" instead of "10 days ago" was the proof for me... but this is now slowly spreading to other people as well, who think it's cool to use "back" instead of "ago". But don't worry, you will become a true American when all your 'problems' go away and are replaced by 'issues'. :-D

Hi tail_end,
How did you know that your Name check has been cleared by FBI? Can you post details?
did u call 1800 number and found out or did u r lawyer found out?

thanks

Hi there, my lawyer found that out by talking to USCIS, which you can every 45 days. She asked me categorically not to call as she is handling everything. If it were upto me, I would have been calling them....

Okay, it looks like any RFEs on your case were already done, so hopefully it will only be a matter of a few weeks for approval. Which service center by the way?

Oh - many Indians never use the word "ago", so "10 days back" instead of "10 days ago" was the proof for me... but this is now slowly spreading to other people as well, who think it's cool to use "back" instead of "ago". But don't worry, you will become a true American when all your 'problems' go away and are replaced by 'issues'. :-D

Nebraska Center.....I mentioned Indian as I read somewhere on the forum that after name check etc., the final adjudication also depends on nationality. Is that true or an urban myth?

lol on language str.

Thanks, my birth place is also India. I had an RFE on birth certificate, and that may be the problem, as I was born at a then remote army base. Do they actually contact the home country certifying body?

lawyer

You have a great lawyer. One of the most frustrating, aggravating and time consuming thing is calling the USCIS.

How long are biometrics valid? Mine were done last Nov (2006), am I close to expiration? My lawyer advised that USCIS may request another biometrics before approving my case.....please advise.

I agree, my lawyer is great :)

Fingerprints are valid for 18 months, so you may be called for another set if your case remains pending after April/May....

Correction: 15 months, my mistake. You may be called for another set if your case remains pending after February.

Last edited by a moderator: