Name check status update--Ab kya karun?

ab kya karun

Registered Users (C)
I had done an inquiry into status of my application for I-485, when the processing dates got past my receipt dates. The response from TSC was that my namecheck was pending. I had emailed FBI and also sent them letters and faxes without any response. I contacted the congressman without much help. Finally I contacted our Senator. I got a letter back from the Senator's office today, with an attached copy of email from FBI. The following is the text:

"A review of FBI Name Check Program database concerning __________ (my name) revealed that the request was received from USCIS 0n 4/**/2004 and is currently in a pending status. Also the DOB listed on the submission was **/**/****.
(The next line is illegible--?whited out?)

While an exact date for completion of this review cannot be given, please be assured that the results will be made available to the immigration authorities as expeditiously as possible. The FBI is sensitive to the impact of the delays in processing name check requests. At the same time, the consequences of the FBI's mission on homeland security requires that our name check process be primarily focussed on the accurate and thorough result. This means that there are instances when the FBI's review of a name check request must require as much time as needed to obtain an unequivocally correct result."

There are a few things clear from this:

1. USCIS asks for namecheck when the 485 application is filed (within the first month).
2. The FBI has no time frame to complete a namecheck---in effect people in similar situation may be stuck indefinitely.
3. One and a half year is not enough time for FBI to do a namecheck.
4. I and other's in similar situation are scr***d!!

Any suggestions as to what can be done at this point.

I know I am stuck in retrogression anyway. However, my case would have been processed several months ago if it had not been for the namecheck delay. If ever the retrogression relief legislation is passed or when the processing dates become current or pass my date, I do not want to be passed over again.

Same boat as you

I got a letter from senator which he received from FBI. It is exactly the same letter as you received except the name is different. I also wonder what I should do next. Please share!

ab kya karun and find:

Can you tell me how long did it take for FBI to respond to senator's inquiry?

Thanks a lot,

ksy

Not long!!!

It took a 3-4 wks for the Senator to respond to my inquiry. It probably took less than 2-3 weeks for FBI to respond.

I suggest you write to the FBI

ab kya karun said:
It took a 3-4 wks for the Senator to respond to my inquiry. It probably took less than 2-3 weeks for FBI to respond.

ab kya karun,

I suggest that you start correspondence with the head of the FBI name check division. I believe there are two individuals that you can write to within the FBI. If you lay out your case and highlight the difficulties that this is causing you (financial burden etc) they may get someone to look into the case. Nothing is guaranteed but atleast you will know that you tried everything.

It is really unfortunate that cases get stuck this way. This whole "name check" process is so screwed up. It should not take the FBI more than 6 months to check a damn name. The problem is that immigration related cases fall at the bottom of the FBI priorities. There aren't enough people assinged to this division and those that are assigned take their own sweet time.

I have a feeling that my own case may be stuck in the name check process. I was unable to make an inquiry because the official processing dates never moved beyond my dates and my case continued to show that it was in Miami. By the time the case status changed to show that the case was back at TSC retrogression had hit. Now whenever my PD becomes current I will have to go through the process of finding out my Name Check status. At times I feel that all this is just not worth it but then I realize that I have put in 6 years of my life into this damn process. I am not going to give up without a fight .. neither should you. I am even ready to go to court and sue the USCIS if need be. At this point I am ready to take any necessary step to get a resolution to this messed up process. I am only waiting for my PD to become current then I intend on going all out irrespective of what my lawyers have to say.

regards,

saras

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Saras for your words of encouragement!!

I have written to the FBI heads before, but will keep trying. I am also hoping the Senate provisions for immigration prevail, and hopefully retrogression is eliminated for now. If this happens then I will ask the Senator for help again with FBI or take klegal action if nothing else works.

Name check status

Hi Ab kya karun,

ab aisa karo, Please try to do a background check on yourself. your state /city court pretrial services should have the information, it is only 15 dollars. Believe me it is worthed. you would know whether you have any tickets or felony. This helped in my case.
I requested to expedite through 2 senators and 1 congressman. eventually the background check worked. Now my name check is cleared. I am waiting for the priority date to be current.

indoamerican

Hi Indoamerican,

Can u tell me how u did background check and how u contact with fbi.Can u please write me in details how u did the entire process to clear ur name check clear from fbi.I am desperately waiting for your reply

To those who have known from the Senators’ Office about your Name Check pending status from the FBI.

Have you seen your I485 online case status been updated after your FP date or it still shows the filing date only?