name check and interviews

maybesomeday

Registered Users (C)
I went in to ask about our 485 case. It was really an act of futility as they did not provide any good information. I asked for the reasons our case got transfered, etc. They officer was too lazy to go get our file to answer the detailed questions. She did say, however, that they only initiate fingerprint and name checks once they get to adjudicate your case (at least for local office cases). Has anyone else heard this? I was hoping that the name check was initiated a long time back when our case was started. I know our fingerprints were done and the initial results were received shortly thereafter (April 2004). Why wouldn't our name checks have been started back then as well?
I'm just hoping that this person in confusing the local family based cases with our employment base case. Since the CSC should have already started these checks and have results back already, I'm hoping we don't have to wait another 6 months for new checks to be performed.....

maybesomeday,
I had similar situation. My I-485 was transferred to local office (Baltimore) and I went there and asked about my current status. They only told me they have received my file, and the date file was received (Dec 2004). They told waiting time for scheduling interview is 6 months in Baltimore office. When I asked my name check status, they told they will be able to look at it only after someone will open the file to schedule interview, means shortly before this 6-months period...i think when they are ready to schedule interview, they open your file and they check FP and name check status and put your data in computer so if you come and ask another officer can see it. And when they do so they probably mail you another FP invitation if your FP are expired (they are valid for 15 months).
I did send e-mail to FBI and received response from them that my name check is pending since oct 2003 - info which I was not able to get at local office...

compass,
So you think that once they are at the point of scheduling the interview, the name check status will be entered into the computer system? Sounds like this is the only way to get this kind of information from the first level officer's. By your response from the FBI, it sounds like they initiated a name check while it was at the service center (2003). I wish you a speedy result.

Last edited by a moderator:
Name check pending/Approval pending

Hi,
Here is my case details.....
I attended interview @ local office on march 2nd and the officer told me that FBI Name check is still pending,bring police clerance letters from the police stations where i lived in past 5 years.
I got all the police clearance letters and appared again today. The officer again said the FBI name check is still pending, she would approve my case as soon as the name check is clear. My case transferred to local office in november 2004.
You guys have any idea how long it will take to clear FBI Name check ?

Any body is in the same situation ( I hope not) ? Please advise ....It's very scary......

Thanks,
K' :confused:

krupakar said:
I got all the police clearance letters and appared again today. The officer again said the FBI name check is still pending, she would approve my case as soon as the name check is clear. My case transferred to local office in november 2004.
Why did they bother to bring you in with the clearance letters unless they were ready to approve it them? I was told by my attorney that sometimes they also request the clearance letters if they don't get good fingerprints that are readable. I wish they would take the clearance letters in lieu of the stupid name check.