NAME CHECK - Am I the only Cynic here ?

Swani

Registered Users (C)
Folks:

Priority Date: July 14, 2003
Finger Printing:September 2, 2003
Naturalization Interview: March 11, 2004 (Name Check Pending)
FOIPA Reply (Letter received in Mail from FBI in response to my fax): August 26, 2004 (No Records)
Name Check Completed (Email received from FBI in response to my fax) : October 13, 2004
Talked to Immigration Officer at Dallas District Office and was told that I will hear something in a month. Copy of FBI Email was taken by the Officer and supposedly placed in my file: October 15, 2004

Above is my timeline and guess what! I still don’t have a clue about my Oath and my fingerprints will expire tomorrow as per fifteen months validation period.

Also on these particular Name Check Threads on this forum, almost all of us are Name Check Victims including myself. We have been sharing our experiences and knowledge but frankly speaking, most of us are groping in the dark as except Rahul Kumar I don’t find a single person who got stuck in this Name Check quagmire and was able to extract an Oath Letter.

Am I the only Cynic here?

Swani

Swani,

There are umpteen people whose name checks have been cleared and who have progressed (485/n400 etc). Your case is most likely in the hands of your local DO. They are the ones delaying .

Take up your issue with the local DO immediately, contact the local dist court to find Natz dates for 05. I expect you to get Natz in the next 2-3 months at th latest, assuming you are in a decently fast DO

Swani:
I agree with Rahul. It does look like it's your District Office that's stalling your oath...The same thing happened to me. I called the national ins and they sent a request to my district office and a month later i got my oath letter. It was also my local office that sent the letter to my old address, never even updating my new address on their computer!!!! If you have info-pass internet option in your DO - schedule an appointment and go see an officer asap!
Good luck!

Nope

Your timeline is is better than mine:

July 2003 FBI name check sent
November 12th 2003 had my interview
All 8 requests for information have come back with no response from USCIS (or INS back when) just state that my file is 'pending' and that they are waiting on the FBI name check.

Who did you contact at the FBI to get a response?

Edd224:
Who did you contact at the FBI to get a response

I used the information provided by Rahul

mfar:
...a month later i got my oath letter

Were you also stuck in NAME CHECK and able to extract an Oath Letter?

I called the national ins
How do you do that and what information is needed. Is it an automated system or can you talk to a live person

schedule an appointment and go see an officer asap
I have already done it and that is exactly why I am cynical because each time you meet a different officer and he/she tells a different story. I even handed over a copy of FBI email which clearly stated that my name check has been done and sent back on October 13, 2004

Swani said:
Edd224:
Who did you contact at the FBI to get a response

I used the information provided by Rahul

mfar:
...a month later i got my oath letter

Were you also stuck in NAME CHECK and able to extract an Oath Letter?

I called the national ins
How do you do that and what information is needed. Is it an automated system or can you talk to a live person

schedule an appointment and go see an officer asap
I have already done it and that is exactly why I am cynical because each time you meet a different officer and he/she tells a different story. I even handed over a copy of FBI email which clearly stated that my name check has been done and sent back on October 13, 2004

Swani:
I considered myself "stuck" in the name check process, b/c i did not hear from anybody for 4 months after the interview. Also, that was the only reason my interviewing officer did not give me the oath letter that day...
National INS is 1-800 number posted on their web site. It is automated unless you punch "0" to talk to the customer service reps. That's what i did. After your interview, if you have not heard from anybody for 90 days, National INS can send a letter to the local DO requesting to send you an update on the case...I do believe it is the local DO that is delaying the process. They did not even update my new address in their system, even though i updated it with National INS. Ridiculous! I sympathize with you, Swani. Please try to make an appointment with the officer who interviewed you! Find out if it's possible. Fortunately for me, i did not have to go that far, but i was about to had i not found out my oath letter had been at my old address!!!
Good luck!

What About Women?

I just wanted to find out from your guys if name checks are run on women as well, just curiouse. :) :confused: :rolleyes: Thanks

What is a name check?

Is it required when you ask for a name change in your N-400 or is it required for every one? Am I confusing Name check with name change?
Please clarify as I want to change my name and don't wanna fall trap in these name checks delays. What exactly it is and whom it applies to?

Naaz

Naaz2004 said:
Is it required when you ask for a name change in your N-400 or is it required for every one? Am I confusing Name check with name change?
Please clarify as I want to change my name and don't wanna fall trap in these name checks delays. What exactly it is and whom it applies to?

Naaz

Nazzi Joon,

NAME CHECK is done out of the applicant's wish and authorities. NAME CHANGE on the other hand is what that is based on the applicant. You might decide to change your name or just stick to your old name, it'd be your decision. I am not sure how much name change request will affect the timeline.

lidia said:
Nazzi Joon,

NAME CHECK is done out of the applicant's wish and authorities. NAME CHANGE on the other hand is what that is based on the applicant. You might decide to change your name or just stick to your old name, it'd be your decision. I am not sure how much name change request will affect the timeline.

Thanks Lidia joon!

So it means that name check is different from name change, right?

BTW, u know persian?

Naazi, like it that way :)

Naaz2004 said:
Thanks Lidia joon!

So it means that name check is different from name change, right?

BTW, u know persian?

Naazi, like it that way :)

Exactly. They are different. But I guess till the implementation
of the new NAME CHANGE rules, through court, we will be fine.
I also want to drop my middle name. Uh boy it is something :rolleyes:

Off the record:

Dar morede esme shoma, har dosh zibast Naz Nazakam ! :p