Name change

nscgreen

Registered Users (C)
My wife would like to change her Last Name. WHat is the order of change? Passport, Green card and SSN ? Please also let me know the procedure if possible.

For Name change on Social Security Number Card

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin...WRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NTkwJnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=

How do I change my name on my Social Security card?

Question

How do I change my name on my Social Security card?

Answer

To change the name shown on your card, you need to complete Form SS-5 which is available for download at http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.html and submit evidence of your identity. Or you can obtain Form SS-5 by calling 1-800-772-1213 or visiting your local Social Security office. These services are free.

If you are living outside the United States, there is a different form, the Application for a Social Security Card (SS-5-FS) - Foreign Service.

Your card will have your new name but the same number as your old card.

To change your name on your card, we need one or more documents identifying you by both your OLD NAME on our records and your NEW NAME. Examples of documents which might show both your old name and new name include your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or a court order changing your name. Or we can accept two identity documents ?one in your old name and one in your new name. The document identifying you by your new name must be of recent issuance so that we can determine your continued existence. Generally, we prefer to see a document with a photograph. However, we can generally accept a non-photo identity document if it has enough information to identify you (e.g., your name as well as your age, date of birth, or parents?names). If you were born outside of the U.S, we also need proof of your U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status.

Some documents that we can accept as proof of identity are:

Driver's license
Marriage or divorce record
Military records
Employer ID card
Adoption record
Life insurance policy
Passport
Health Insurance card (not a Medicare card)
School ID card

All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies of documents. We need original documents or copies certified by the custodian of the record. Notarized copies are also not acceptable.

Mail or bring the application and evidence in person to your local Social Security office. You can find that office at: http://www.ssa.gov/locator/. Your documents will be returned to you.

You should receive your card within two weeks of the date we have all the information we need to process your request. If you have not received your card within this time frame, contact the Social Security office where you filed the application.

2 more questions

Thanks for info reg SSN name change.
If some one could also throw some light on sequence of change, that is which order should passport , SSN and GC be changed. Also what is the procedure for passport name change and GC name change?

Is this a joke that u are saying? Could someone who has already changed, add to this conversation.

It is not a joke. In many cases, you need to go to a court to
have your name changed. For people born here, you can get a
new birth certificate with new name once you get a court
order. For women who wanted to change their last name to
that of husbands, they do not need court action if they do that
immiedietly after getting married. But if they want to
do that at very later time, they still need court action.
But if you want to change your birth given name officially,
I think you need a court action.

Check out this NAME CHANGE FAQ at Nolo site

http://www.nolo.com/lawcenter/faqs/detail.cfm/objectID/7C7FA175-7305-4E94-8D24DB5866EEE3CB

FOr wife who want to change her name to that of husban

http://www.nolo.com/lawcenter/faqs/...E4A/catID/211754E8-4167-4E64-9EABA23C9510DE4F

Quote:

Question:

Do I have to file forms in court to change my birth name?

Answer:

Maybe not. In all but a handful of states, you can legally change your name by usage only. A name change by usage is accomplished by simply using a new name in all aspects of your personal, social and business life. No court action is necessary, it costs nothing and is legally valid. (Minors and prison inmates are generally exceptions to this rule.)

Practically speaking, however, an official court document may make it much easier to get everyone to accept your new name. Because many people and agencies do not know that a usage name change is legal, they may want to see something in writing signed by a judge. Also, certain types of identification -- such as a new passport or a birth certificate attachment -- are not readily available if you change your name by the usage method.

If it's available in your state, you may want to try the usage method and see how it goes. If you run into too many problems, you can always file a court petition later.

You can find out whether your state requires a court order by contacting your local clerk of court. Or, if the court clerk doesn't give you enough information, you can look at your state's statutes in a local law library -- start in the index under "Name" or "Change of Name" or ask the reference librarian for help.

End of Quote:

Minnesota's Supreme Court once ruled that a man who wanted to change his name to the number "1069" could not legally do so, but suggested that "Ten Sixty-Nine" might be acceptable (Application of Dengler , 287 NW2d 637 (1979)).

In some countries, some name are illegal. In Germany,
Adolf Hitler is not a legal name. Recently a guy there
wanted to name his son Bin Laden and the case is still
in court.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last name change

I am just meant to ask specifically regarding Last Name change after marriage. I read thru ur website for Last Name change. That does not say anything regarding 'how long one could change Last Name without having court document'. I hope for last Name change, we could do that without any court document even if it is 5 years down the lane.

The FAQ mentions that you can change simply by usage without
a court action. But i think that it is preferrable to have a court
action so that you have a legal document to back up. Such a

The only disadvantage of a court action is you may have to
pay a fee plus some time in court

to answer this specific question. I think marriage certificate is enough. just use MC to change all the IDs in any sequence. You should be fine if wife is using husband's last name.

experience with last name change

Thanks for the info. Could someone who has actually done this shed some light?

Name Change info..

My Passport is stamped with I551 recently and waiting for wife's 485 approval.
While i was at local Arlington INS office, i had a chance to ask the namechange question.

I asked the officer, how should i change my wife's last name as we are expecting I485 approval anytime.?

IIO responded greatly..He said, i can do it anytime at local INS office with just a Marriage certificate OR a Court order or a Passport..

So this is what i suggest:

1-- Goto Passport office and get a new passport with new name..
Actually, you will still have the old passport with old name but new passport with new name will be stapled to the old one..
2-- Take this and Marriage certificate to SS office and apply for a new SS Card
3-- Goto Local INS office and apply for a new Green Card

** ofcourse dont forget to update ur Credit card and Bank...

I am planning to follow the above sequence...