Name change

FS68W

I have recently joined the army and am a green card holder and right now am filling out the naturalization form and there is a name change option. my name is not very US friendly (..... very not US friendly ) and I don't want it to effect my military career (or social life in the states). my question is: is it a good idea to change my name at this stage. and what happen to my old paperwork from my original country since it cant be changed to the new name( Examples include my college degree and passport). basicly how does it work to have two names (one in the US paperwork and another in the other countries paperwork), is there some sort of bridge between the two names after its changed. for example lets say I wanna apply for masters degree or I want to become an officer(witch requires college degree) and my college degree reads my original name. can they still recognize its the same person. thank you in advance

When your name change is completed at the end of the naturalization process, you'll get a court document stating that your name changed from xxxxxxxx to zzzzzzzz, and you'll show that document whenever you need to connect your old qualifications to your new name, or to change current documents like SSN, driver's license, bank account to your new name.

Depending on which country you're from, you may be able to get your passport and/or degree changed to your new name by showing the same name change document.

Last edited by a moderator:
When your name change is completed at the end of the naturalization process, you'll get a court document stating that your name changed from xxxxxxxx to zzzzzzzz, and you'll show that document whenever you need to connect your old qualifications to your new name, or to change current documents like SSN, driver's license, bank account to your new name.

Depending on which country you're from, you may be able to get your passport and/or degree changed to your new name by showing the same name change document.

thank you for the quick response. that court document is exactly what I wanted to hear.

Is the name change court document is given along with naturalization certificate or it should be applied separately?

thanks

Is the name change court document is given along with naturalization certificate or it should be applied separately?

thanks

I just attended the oath ceremony today. My name change petition was stapled together with the naturalization certificate. By the way, all oath ceremony with regard to name change petition must be presided by a judicial judge.

Hi,

As you have mentioned that, your name is not US Friendly, You are thinking of name change. It is going to be a very long process, you have mentioned that you recently joined the army. Good to hear that. My advice would be think twice before proceeding further.

I have recently joined the army and am a green card holder and right now am filling out the naturalization form and there is a name change option. my name is not very US friendly (..... very not US friendly ) and I don't want it to effect my military career (or social life in the states). my question is: is it a good idea to change my name at this stage. and what happen to my old paperwork from my original country since it cant be changed to the new name( Examples include my college degree and passport). basicly how does it work to have two names (one in the US paperwork and another in the other countries paperwork), is there some sort of bridge between the two names after its changed. for example lets say I wanna apply for masters degree or I want to become an officer(witch requires college degree) and my college degree reads my original name. can they still recognize its the same person. thank you in advance

Hi,

As you have mentioned that, your name is not US Friendly, You are thinking of name change. It is going to be a very long process, you have mentioned that you recently joined the army. Good to hear that. My advice would be think twice before proceeding further.

hi,

I think it depends on the volume of cases handled by each DO and the schedule of the judicial oath ceremony. ALL petition for name change must be presided by a judicial judge. This might cause delays for you to attend the judicial oath ceremony, where in certain DO, judicial oaths are not held so frequently.

Since FS68W is in military, FS68W can request USCIS to expedite his/her N-400 processing.

Hi,

What is your idea of "very long"? The name change is expected to delay the oath date by about 1 to 3 months, because of the need for a judicial oath which is held less frequently than administrative oaths. But the name change would cause zero delay in a jurisdiction where all naturalization oaths are judicial oaths.

What is your idea of "very long"? The name change is expected to delay the oath date by about 1 to 3 months, because of the need for a judicial oath which is held less frequently than administrative oaths. But the name change would cause zero delay in a jurisdiction where all naturalization oaths are judicial oaths.

1 - 3 months? 3 months is indeed a long time to wait. It is suffice to say it might be longer than three months. I am in my 3rd month of waiting.

Note that it is normal to wait 1 or 2 months after the interview for a regular administrative oath. The 1 to 3 months delay I was referring to is in addition to the usual 1 or 2 months wait for an oath date.