Name Change

pachanga

Registered Users (C)
Folks,

Do you have any idea about the approximate process time for name change? It is my understanding that the name change is forwarded to the court. Therefore, this process is controlled outside the USCIS local office. According to the interview officer, it will take 3 to 4 weeks to complete the process. One of my friends has gone through the name change during his naturalization process last year. It took about 2 weeks to complete his name change.

I wonder if the court will push this process longer like some of the cases in USCIS. How do we know that my name change is approved or not before an oath ceremony?

Thanks

You will not have an oath if the name change is not complete. After all you are taking oath with the new name.

2-4 weeks is a good estimate, but sometimes things fall out of cracks ... matching names, missing documents ... but I would not worry too much about it.

If you want your last name changed based on marriage......that will be done during interview and you can get oath on same day if you DO provides same day oath.(same day oath ceremony depends on DO).

If you would like to change your middle name as well, than that would be done by court order, and so you have to wait for court appearance.

If you want your last name changed based on marriage......that will be done during interview and you can get oath on same day if you DO provides same day oath.(same day oath ceremony depends on DO).

If you would like to change your middle name as well, than that would be done by court order, and so you have to wait for court appearance.

I think it varies from state to state. In Chicago there is no same day oath and there is no delay for name change. In places like Mass you wait for 3 months for oath, i don't think name change will make any difference. Probably it matters where they have same day Oath ceremony.

Thanks guys! I have been on business trips since April 18th and will go home tomorrow. I will check my mailbox as soon as I get back home tomorrow and will find if an oath appointment letter is there or not.

I came home this afternoon and found a letter from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in my mailbox. My oath is set on May 14th.