Name Change

madabushi

Registered Users (C)
My wife and I are in the process of completing our N-400 application. Our application will eventually be processed at the Baltimore, Maryland center.

I would like to add a middle name, and my wife would like to change her last name and add a middle name to our existing names.

I have couple of questions:

1. Is it an intelligent move to change names in the N-400 application? Any short delay in between N-400 application approval and oath ceremony won't be a problem.

2. Has anyone had any experience at the Baltimore center who has tried to change their name? Can they share their experience.

3. Can we simultaneously apply for the name change at the local court house while our citizenship application is being processed? Could the name change request in N-400 application and a separate application for name change at the local court house at the same time might cause any problem when we appear for the citizenship interview? Is this even a good idea in the first place.

Thanks.

It takes about 4 weeks after the interview to have a court order name change, and then you will have oath.

Thats here in Baltimore, Do.

my friend got her oath letter 2 weeks after her first (and last) interview. she requested a name change.