Name change with Social Security Admin.

payala

Registered Users (C)
So I just got married and decided to take my husband's name. I came here as an F1 (graduating in May) and we haven't filed the papers to get the residency yet since my husband wants to talk to a lawyer first. I've been changing my name everywhere, the records in my school are changed and even other accounts. I am basically missing the most important one... the name in my social security card. I went to try to change it but I was told that since I only got the SSN to be allowed to work as an F-1, I will have to give them a letter from my school saying that I am still working for them. I showed them that letter 3 years ago when I got my SSN but now they want another one. My question is...I know I cannot work till I get the EAD but I can't change my name on my SS Card if I don't show proof that I'm working. It's like a closed loop. Would I be OK submitting the letter from my school saying that I do have an on-campus possition since I haven't filed the forms to change my status yet? Thanks a lot!

I had the same problem. I was on F-1 before I got married. I had SSN, but couldn't change my name untill I got EAD. Even if you file I-130 and I-485 and get Notice of Action, still you'll have to wait for EAD. You can try to do it through school, I dont' know if it's going to work, 'cos my I-20 expired by the time I went to SS. Plus, I never worked on campus. But if your I-20 is expired and you haven't applied for AOS, ther's no other way before you get EAD. Good luck.

You don't have to change everything at once, everything takes time. Wait for your EAD and then you will be able to work whenever you want and change your name in your SSN.

Well I did not want my credit cards, insurance, drivers license and school records to have different names. Plus, I heard that you should keep the same name in the forms throughout the process. If I did that, the name in my forms wasn't gonna match the name in my social security card. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be though. I got a letter from my boss saying when I started working for him and then a letter from my school saying the same thing. I changed my name in my social security card as an F1 since I have not filed to adjust my status yet. My name change has been completed...finally =)