NAME CHANGE update as of 11:07 AM 5/23/01 -Hanuman

Hanuman

Registered Users (C)
My fellow name change sufferers,

I spoke with IIO yesterday and today my lawyer also spoke with IIO we got the same answers....IT DOSEN"T MATTER AT THIS STAGE WETHER WE FILE FOR AN AMMENDMENT OF I -140 OR NOT...THE CASE WILL NOT FINALISE UNTILL VSC RECEIVES GUIDELINE FROM INS HQ...and they advise us just to HANG ON TIGHT also my laywer got the tip "OFF THE RECORD" we may not need to file for ammended I-140 !!!!!!

She also said that some guideline is expected after long weekend ATLEAST TO START THE PROCESS........by end of the month or beging of JUNE.

So lets see what happens next

Hangin Tight
Hanuman

No Title

So from mid-May now the guidelines are due end-of-May or beginning June. What a Joke. All trust is gone, guys. I dont believe nor trust what VSC or HQ says anymore. Why dont they say something official (like posting something on the website about these regs. and the interim guidelines ).

No Title

I agree with you and so much frustrated that if they give me GC today I will not be thrilled AT ALL....I hate this INS game of waiting and misgiuding us giving us false hope.

Frustrated
Hanuman

No Title

The news u got is right. What I heard last week is that amendment of I-140 might not be required because with the new memo which is due by end of this month they are addressing 180 day rule and name change cases as same. What it means is that all the name change cases will be treated with 180 day rule change which means no amendment to I-140 is required as they are treated as change of employment under 180 day rule. I think they might have sub sections with each of these cases. I heard it something like section (106) deals with that.
Let\'s wait and see what this memo says.....

No Title

I am sure most of you have read the following news item (published on 5/15). If one goes by this, our wait on the resolution for company name change cases can be still longer. The INS spokeswoman does not sound very positive about the portability in S2045 (which is what will help our case). However, given the history of INS, MIRACLES DO HAPPEN like when these provisions were included in S2045....so let\'s keep fingers crossed and hope for the best.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------
INS guidance on U.S. H-1B visas due by early June
---------------------------------------------------------------------By Sonya Hepinstall

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service said on Monday that "field guidance" to clarify some parts of new laws on visas for skilled workers, many of them Chinese and Indian high-tech workers, would be issued by early June at the latest.

But full, detailed rules for the American Competitiveness in the 21st Century Act (AC21) will not be issued until the end of the summer, and even then they will be only "proposed rules," or a rough draft liable to change after consultations that could last months, if not more than a year.

"We are aiming to have field guidance on most of the provisions that would be addressed in regulations out by the end of May or beginning of June," INS spokeswoman Eyleen Schmidt said.

"We are hoping to have the regulations that would address all of the provisions in AC21 by the end of the summer," she added.

Confusion over how the act works in practice has caused great anxiety among people with H-1B visas, as well as those overseas who want to apply for them and the immigration lawyers who have to advise employers and employees alike.

The act, signed into law in October 2000, aimed to improve the program of H-1B visas granted to skilled workers, more than half of which went to the high-technology sector.

More than 40 percent of the beneficiaries typically have come from India, and another 10 percent have been Chinese.

The law increased the number of H-1B visas issued annually to 195,000 for the fiscal years ending September 30, 2001, 2002 and 2003 and also changed many of the rules that governed how the visas could be used, including making them portable from company to company as a worker changed jobs.

Portability has gained in importance with the downturn in the high-tech sector as workers are laid off and seek other jobs while technically having no legal status in the country.

The field guidance, which aims to help the INS employees who decide whether to approve or deny applications, will not deal with portability, Schmidt said.

It will, however, help staffers rule on requests to extend the visas beyond six years, requests that are currently sitting on the shelf, she said.

"The provisions of law that address the extensions were very specific, so it\'s very transparent what the field guidelines would be," Schmidt said.

"The portability was a little more vague, so it was felt that it would be more prudent to go through the rule-making process and allow people to comment."
----------------------------------------------------------------------

No Title

Sure we know about this ( I knew the day it was published) but in any case it dose not harm to find out from VSC it self since our experiance says that you will never know what has changed @ VSC in last few days UNLESS YOU ASK FOR ....You may not know thay may get some guideline from HQ and might have started adjudications ( SORRY FOR BEING TOOOOO OPTIMISTIC but tell me what can you do while waiting !!!!!)

Thanks for posting the whole content for us keep up the good work.

Optimistic
Hanuman

No Title

I also saw some posting in this portal that an E Mail from INS HQ says, the amended I140 can help before these guidlines are issued. How do U explain some of the cases with my firm IGate; have got approved with name changes .....after their amended I140s were submitted .... ? VSC might approve your application based on such facts. Definitely something will move in the month of June - I hope!

No Title

I was told same thing by Attorney. She says, there won\'t be any use of filing I-140 at this stage. She says we will wait for guidelines. But WHAT i am wondering is How MASTECH/IGATE people getting approvals by filing I-140? Was it mistake by VSC? or does filing I-140 REALLY WORKS?

RAO

No Title

THIS CAN\'T BE TRUE!! \'cause there are lot of people in EB3/VSC got their 485 approved once they filed their amended I140 or RFE replied. Hold is not consistent and infact lot of Mastech/IGATE people are getting 485 approvals after their I140 is filed!!

No Title

Just finished talking to VSC IIO 12:15 PM EST.
Case on hold due to IGTE name change.
He says guidelines is expected in early summer. His estimate was 60 days. He says amended I-140 will help. He asked me to mail the copies reciepts of I-140 & I-485 in order to link to 485 with a small note giving the details. And mail room is processing 04/18/01 mails!!

No Title

The notion that LOT of IGATE/MASTECH people are getting their approvals is NOT true. Even last week when they published the statistics on the web page, they said there were 8 approvals, (note they did not say 8 I485 approvals); for all you know they could be 8 I-140 amendment petition approvals. The fact is that LOT of people are waiting and some people (lucky ones) are getting.

No Title

> And mail room is processing 04/18/01 mails!!

those with amended I-140 filed on April 18, 2001 - already got receipts...

> He says amended I-140 will help.

I called 15 minutes ago - so new details are - amended I-140 and I-485 were assigned to 2 different officers, IIO said that she will address this issue to supervisor, so that both cases will be handled by 1 officer, also yesterday - amended I-140 and I-485 were _NOT_ linked in their systerm ( I am not talking about papers )... and this is even A# (alien number) was is present for both cases and is the same... eh ???...

then I gave the phone to my another friend - the same situation, with the only difference that IIO told that superviser can decide whether to keep case on hold _or_ go ahead... yes, she also told about pending regulations from HQ - but their supervisors can decide what to do...

PS: I never ever was told that my case was on hold, even during this conversation - but my friend was... is it that I am

1) lucky
2) not lucky
3) smth is just different in our cases

No Title

> is NOT true.

no, it is true - take my word... but the the fact that you can\'t get an idea about "pattern" (how VSC is approving) drives me mad

No Title

180 days with respect to what ? Filing 140 or 485?
Most of the name change cases are those in which the 485 compnay name
is differnt from the I-140! What happens if after 485 the company
name changes within 180 days ? after 180 days?
Currently the 180 day rule states that a person can change employment after 180 days after filing 485. If one makes the name change
and 180 rule the same, does it mean that if the compnay changes name
within 180 days, then a new I-140 is to be filed???
Seems so idiotic and unfair!

No Title

while question is not addressed to me - I have for example Mastech-iGate after I-485 notice date, as most of iGate\'ers have...

No Title

I addressed it to Hanuman as he initiated this discussion.
Based on an earlier posting in which the application of 180 day rule
for name change cases was speculated, it would appear that if the name change
occurs less than 180 days then an amended I140 is required. Am I right
in this speculation?
Thanks anyway, deejjjaaaa.

No Title

BTW what exactly constitues an "Amended I-140" ?
Does it involve new I-140 form and a letter stating company name change
from old company to new company and a copy of the approved I140?

No Title

My company name change details
507 days after filing I-485 My company was acquired by some other company and the RFE was issued just 24 hours before the acquisition for EMPL letter .......( God is great so is INS specially VSC...)

And the new company refused to file for ammendment stating new law AC-21 telling me to hold off untill INS asks for.....

Hope this helps

F#@>*$^edup
Hanuman

No Title

Thanks.
My company is deemed to be acquired. Currently there is no name change
yet as the shareholders have to vote and the SEC has to agree
and so on and so forth. I filed 485 with ND 03-30-01.
So, if I get my RFE requesting employment letter/OR FP notice
requesting employment letter also, and the name chnage is
not in effect yet, then it is possible that INS may not ask for
employer letter again!
However based on the speculation by another poster in this discussion, who speculated that INS may use 180 day rule
for name change cases also (i.e if name change is > 180 days
no amendment necessary), then I have to pray that
the compnay name changes in October 1st.
That was the reason for my question in which I wanted to know
what constitues ann amended I-140.
Thanks for your time
Narayan