Name Change question

ganita

Registered Users (C)
I'm about to apply for citizenship but I'm still undecided if I want to change my name or not.
When do I have to take that decision? Can I change my mind in front of the immigration officer?

Is changing the name a straightforward decision? I read that it depends on the jurisdiction.
What are the ramifications of doing it?
Can anybody please post any link where i can find more information?

If you request a name change on the N-400, at the interview you can pick a different name altogether, or decide not to change your name at all.

What "ramifications" are you worried about, other than the obvious need to change your driver's license, Social Security card, bank account, etc.?

Does that mean that I can change my mind at the moment of the interview? Will that delay the process? Do I have to bring a new N-400 or I fill it in front of the immigration officer?

During interview IO will ask you sign name change petition. I am not sure about other places but it Dallas , name change can cause delay for Oath ceremony.

Does that mean that I can change my mind at the moment of the interview? Will that delay the process? Do I have to bring a new N-400 or I fill it in front of the immigration officer?

Thanks for your answer, uc2012. I'm also worried about travelling internationally with a new name.
I have an EU passport and in lots of cases it's to use it than the american one. However, if I change my name I might encounter problems, especially if I book a round trip to the US.

if you change your name, does your old name appear anywhere on the american passport?

I really want to keep my old name in my home country. I guess, if I want to change my name, I can use my old passport only for travelling in the EU.
I'm still undecided what to do. So, if I decide not to change it at the moment, can I do it before the interview with the immigration officer? How much will delay the process? Is it something that takes just minutes on the spot or they will have to reschedule my interview?