Name change question

swarma

Registered Users (C)
If one opt for name change on N-400 application, will it delay the process? If opt for name change what is the procedure.
Thanks for your inputs.
Swarma

the only difference is that your oath ceremony will be in the court. So oath schedule will depend on the court schedule....

Also this will be the easiest way to get the name changed I guess.

do a search about this on this forum, I am guessing people might have asked this question before.....

If one opt for name change on N-400 application, will it delay the process? If opt for name change what is the procedure.
Thanks for your inputs.
Swarma

No it will not delay it, (at least for me and my BF, it didn't). I did it, mines took 6 months. My BF did it, his Time-line is below.(he changed it, during his interview) BTW, we both did it while applying for Citizenship. Other name changing procedure, I don't know. Sorry.

No it will not delay it, (at least for me and my BF, it didn't). I did it, mines took 6 months. My BF did it, his Time-line is below.(he changed it, during his interview) BTW, we both did it while applying for Citizenship. Other name changing procedure, I don't know. Sorry.

After you change the name during naturalization, how difficult it is to change the SSA and the DMV ?

After you change the name during naturalization, how difficult it is to change the SSA and the DMV ?

It's not difficult at all. First go to the Social Security office. Don't forget to let them make you a receipt. It just say: you are changing your name and waiting for the SSC. Go to the DMV, and fill out another application + fee and get a print out from them. Wait a couple of weeks and you'll get your new ID.

How do I prove my previous name? The green card is gone. Do I need to keep a certified copy( Notarized ?) of the green card before I go for oath?

I still have my expired Driver's license, with my previous name, do you? Plus, if you change your name. You should also have an additional name change order, which was stapled to your Nat Cert. I believe this is the proof.

I still have my expired Driver's license, with my previous name, do you? Plus, if you change your name. You should also have an additional name change order, which was stapled to your Nat Cert. I believe this is the proof.

Thanks for the info. I did not know about the name change order. My wife's name change has gone through and she has oath on 20th of march. I guess the name change order will simplify things.

You will get a name change court order along with your citizenship packet. It will show both your old name and new name. Follow this order:

1. Make 10 copies of both naturalization certificate and name change order and get it notarized.
2. Apply for new driver's permit.
3. Apply for US passport.
4. When you receive both US passport and driver's permit, go to SSA office and get a new SS card.
5. Using that card get your name changed at your work place.
6. Between 3 and 4, you can use your notarized documents to change name for credit accounts, banks etc.

If you apply expedited for US passport, your naturalization certificate will be back with you in 1 week or so.

Good luck.
How do I prove my previous name? The green card is gone. Do I need to keep a certified copy( Notarized ?) of the green card before I go for oath?

I would not gurantee this atleast in Atlanta DO (Based on my experience). Atlanta DO has same day administrative oath. So if you do not change name, you may be able to get Nat cert and finish process same day. But if you opt for name change, you are scheduled for judicial oath in court. Ceremonies are about 3-4 months apart but you usually may not get in for immediately next ceremony. For example in one case, interview was in April 2007, judicial oath came in Feb 2008. For interview in Jan 2007, oath was in Aug 2007.
Some DO's do not offer same day oath. For them, it may not matter if evey oath is judicial oath.
Search forums for this questions. It has been discussed a lot. There is a search button in the blue menu bar next top.

thanks a lot for all your messages

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for all your responses. I decided not to change the name. Is it any advantage to change to Husband's last name? is it any disadvantage if I don't change last name to husband's.

Thanks in advance for all your comments.

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for all your responses. I decided not to change the name. Is it any advantage to change to Husband's last name? is it any disadvantage if I don't change last name to husband's.

Thanks in advance for all your comments.

In US there it would not matter if you keep your maiden name forever. In other countries, it may have some benefit (From social as well as govt documents point of view)
If you change name and then get divorce, you will have to change name back again on license/SSN etc. So changing name has it's problems too.

I know few friends (Indians) in US who still have their full maiden name everywhere and have had no problem.

Check http://family.findlaw.com/marriage/marriage-more/name-after-marriage.html It has answers to some of your questions.