Name Change procedure

gc_2020

Registered Users (C)
I am planning to change my legal first and last name.
Which option is better:
1. Legally change First and Last name after Naturalization through court
or
2. Check in N-400 form and proceed
or
3. Legally change before Naturalization through court and and submit N-400 form.
Please advise....

Thanks in advance...

GC2020
PR: 09/2005
PD:06/10 for N-400

1 or 3 means having to pay court fees (possibly in the hundreds of dollars) and waiting for a court date for the name change, which could take a couple of months.

Option 1 means you get naturalization as fast as possible, but you bear the above expense and delay of doing the name change separately, and your naturalization certificate will not have your new name.

2 (assuming you meant specifying the name change on the N-400) means a possible delay of 1 or 2 months for the oath, unless all oaths are judicial oaths in your area. The name change will be included in the naturalization process at no extra cost, and the natz certificate will have your new name.

3 means your naturalization is delayed and you pay the cost of the name change, but the natz certificate will have your new name.

Only you can decide which option is the best for you personally based on your priorities of cost and convenience and time.

Thank you Jackolantern. Sorry for late response.
Gurus if any one changed their last and first name through N 400 please let me know how long it took in your case.

Thanks in advance
gc_2020

I applied for 'shortening' my first name at the interview (which is basically considered as N-400 name change process).
Interview on Dec 2 - approved. On a infopass appointment in Feb 1st week - was told that 'court' approved the application on jan 28th - and that am in Q for 'Oath'.
Still awaiting oath letter. All this in the DCMetro region.

In chicago - my cousin did the same 'first name shortening' thing - his interview happened within 3 weeks of interview date.
So it depends on the 'place' as to how long it could take.

Thank you linuxrox.
Hope you receive your oath letter soon.
Please post with updates....

Thanks
Gc_2020

also agree with the previous poswt...my wife did a last name change via N-400 in Chicago. In her case, the name change request was at interview ...and only added 10 business days. So my advice is do it at the time of N-400 application. If you already filed, you can still do it at the interview. It is free and effective.

If you do it yourself after the getting citizenship. You will have to go to the court and pay extra fees and you have to file n-565 (pay another 380) and wait few month to get a new naturalization certificate. So do not take this route: it is expensive and lengthy.