Name Change on SSN Card - Need your advice please !!!

GC_portlander

Registered Users (C)
Hello Everyone,

I need your advice on changing my name on SSN Card while I am waiting for my I485 approval. Recently on June 1st my case has been transferred to the local INS office. My lawer received the transfer notice also. I didn't hear anything from the local INS though regarding the Interview.

Coming to the point, when I came to USA, my employer filed my H1B and he specified my name wrongly in the H1B petition. My first name was mentioned as middle name and middle name was mentioned as First name. So my SSN card also had my name wrongly as I mentioned.

As my I485 is still pending, is it a good idea now to correct my name in the local Social Security Office? Does it impact in anyway my I485?If I can correct the name now, after correcting it, who should I inform?

If you have any experience in this regards, I would like to hear from you.

Gurus, please provide your kind suggestions.

Thanks,

You can go to local SSA office with your passport, DL and request for name correction. They will issue a new card for you (the number will be same). I don't think there will be any impact on your I-485 as long as your I-485 name matches with your passport. Bottomline is that you should try keep these four documents exactly in same name:

1. passport
2. social security card
3. drivers license
4. green card (or I-485)

chava said:
Hello Everyone,

I need your advice on changing my name on SSN Card while I am waiting for my I485 approval. Recently on June 1st my case has been transferred to the local INS office. My lawer received the transfer notice also. I didn't hear anything from the local INS though regarding the Interview.

Coming to the point, when I came to USA, my employer filed my H1B and he specified my name wrongly in the H1B petition. My first name was mentioned as middle name and middle name was mentioned as First name. So my SSN card also had my name wrongly as I mentioned.

As my I485 is still pending, is it a good idea now to correct my name in the local Social Security Office? Does it impact in anyway my I485?If I can correct the name now, after correcting it, who should I inform?

If you have any experience in this regards, I would like to hear from you.

Gurus, please provide your kind suggestions.

Thanks,

Hi Chava,

I got married before I filed my I485 in Sept. 2002. When my lawyer filed my papers, he added my husband's last name to mine so I have a hyphenated last name. I applied for name change in my local SSA office using my EAD card. I brought with me my marriage contract and DL. After a week of so I received my SSN card with my new name. Next step would be DMV then banking institution. But make sure that the name that you used in your I485 matches with records that you will bring to SSN. Hope this helps.

Thanks Pralay and xpadre for your input. I am going today to the local SS office to request for a name change.

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator: