Name change on driver license. Need Natz Certificate?

asitel

Registered Users (C)
Do I need my natz certificate for DL name change as someone suggested here in another thread? If I read DMV FAQ correctly - DL with previous name + name-change court order should be enough. Please, confirm from your experience. Thank you.

Do I need my natz certificate for DL name change as someone suggested here in another thread? If I read DMV FAQ correctly - DL with previous name + name-change court order should be enough. Please, confirm from your experience. Thank you.

My experience:

The order in which I got things done with regards to Name change was:
1) Social Security(changing name here automatically updates credit reporting agencies and IRS)
2) Change name at Bank
3) Car and Home Insurance
4) DMV - Drivers License, Registration and Title
5) Applied for Passport at the local Post office.

All the places above requested to see the Naturalization Certificate. All except Social Security made copies of the certificate. DMV and the bank looked at the name-change Court order and made a copy of that also.

Yes you need naturalization certificate also as the name change is done with naturalization.

You would also want to change you status to US citizen for their record, so you need to take the Nat certificate with you.

court order prior to N400 filing not needed????

Hello evereyone:

These threads have been very helpful. Thanks much.
I just want to clearify that is it correct:

1. To change name, I do not need to apply to court to get a name change order before applying for filing N400?

2. If I indicate that in the N400 form, it will be done automatically and I do not need to do anything else?

Many Thanks!

Hello evereyone:

1. To change name, I do not need to apply to court to get a name change order before applying for filing N400?

2. If I indicate that in the N400 form, it will be done automatically and I do not need to do anything else?

Many Thanks!

You are correct. During your interview you will also be asked to confirm the name change after which you will be asked verify and sign a "Petition for Name Change". On the day of your naturalization, after you take your oath you will receive this document along with your naturalization certificate.

My experience:

The order in which I got .......

DMV and the bank looked at the name-change Court order and made a copy of that also.

I took the oath and have name changed with naturalization certification. But how can I get a name change court order?

Thanks,
Roy

I took the oath and have name changed with naturalization certification. But how can I get a name change court order?

Thanks,
Roy

If you had in fact requested a name change during your naturalization process, then you should have reviewed and signed a "Petition for Name Change", during your interview. If you had done this, then on the day of your naturalization, after you complete taking your oath, you would have received your approved "Petition for Name Change"(name change court order) along with your Naturalization certificate. Also, the naturalization certificate should now show your new name.

If you have not received any of these two documents, please contact your local USCIS office immediately.

My experience:
The order in which I got things done with regards to Name change was:
1) Social Security(changing name here automatically updates credit reporting agencies and IRS)

I don't think changing name with SSA will change anything with credit reporting agencies. SSA is a govt agency and it will not transmit anything to the credit agencies. The change will take effect with credit agencies is when you update your name with your credit card/loan companies.