Name Change - Minor

AshvinKPatel

Registered Users (C)
My daughter is 13 years old and she has green card (father got GC through employment). I (Father) will apply for citizen in June 2012. So one of parent become citizen then

1> I can apply for my daughter US password once I become US CITIZEN. but I cannot request for name change.
2> I can file N-600 but there is no way to get name change.

So I see process to file paper in local court to change name and use that court document when I sent N-600 form request INS to issue citizen document on new name and then apply passport with new name.

I would like to find out if someone has done and need help on this.

Get your daughter's name changed at a court and then you can use that certificate during her citizenship application process. She needs to first become a US citizen and only then can you apply for her US passport. You can always check the uscis.gov site for deatiled help reagrading both the processess. Getting the nme changed is not a tedious process. Just approach the court that has jurisdiction over your place of residence and follow their guidance.

If you are still unsure and have queries about any process, maybe you can try to avail the services of those who are providing online assistance to complete the us citizenship form and passport application

Last edited by a moderator:
To keep things straightforward, handle things in this order:

1. Complete the US citizenship process for yourself.

2. Apply for your daughter's name change using the local court process.

3. After (2) is completed, apply for your daughter's US passport and N-600 using her name change document, your naturalization certificate, her birth certificate, her green card, and your marriage certificate if you're married to her mother. You'll also need some proof that she's living at the same address as you, such as recent school records. On her citizenship certificate they will backdate her citizenship effective date to match the date of your naturalization, and it will have her new name.

Any one done this ?

Thanks for response.

I am interested to find out any one done this process ? I check with my (IL) court to find out process for name change. There is not requirement to be US citizen to do legal name change.

Please update here if you have done this process for minor name change.

thanks,

I am interested to find out any one done this process ? I check with my (IL) court to find out process for name change. There is not requirement to be US citizen to do legal name change.

It is true that it is not necessary for her to be a US citizen to have the name change done through the courts. But if she changes her name before you do, then you end up with potential complications or delays from having her name being changed in the middle of your naturalization process (remember you have to list all your children's names on the N-400), and her name change paperwork would be referencing your old name. So if you want to keep things smooth and straightforward, handle them in the order I suggested.