Name Change experience during naturalization in cincinnati OH

rahul_v_samant

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Has anybody applied for name change in cincinnati during naturalization?
I have read some people complaining that they did not receive a court order (people from newjersey).

Wanted to see if what people doing this in cincinnati had experienced,
before i applied for name change for my wife.

1> did you get a court order for the name change,along with the naturalization certificate?
2> when did you get the court order indicating new and old name (during oath ceremony)?
3> did it delay your process
4> can we order additional copies from the court later?
5>which court did you get the order from ?

Thank you for the info.

You should get a name change paper, but it will not be at the oath ceremony. It will probably come in the mail about 1-2 weeks later.

The name change paper states it comes from the U.S. District Court.

It is unlikely that you will need extra copies (since you can just make one at a copy machine yourself) but if you do, you should be able to get copies later. if you need the copies much later (several years down the road) you may have to wait a couple of months to get copies.

The name change doesn't slow down the naturalization process any, but sometimes youhave to wait an extra week or two afterwards (until the name change paper comes in the mail) to apply for a passport and to change the name on your driver's license, etc.

If you don't change your name when you naturalize, you can always change it later at a probate court (without involving immigration), but the process will take time and cost about $100-200 depending on your location.