name change during naturalization:

nitinkrsri

Registered Users (C)
Folks
Can someone please answer these for my urgently?

Has anyone applied for a name change while filling N-400?
What is the impact?

Does it take more time?
Does it cost anything additional?

I am from San Jose area. Is the oath always administered in a court, for San Jose folks?
Would you get a name change certificate as well as a naturalization certificate with a new name at the end of the oath ceremony?

Thanks & Best Regards
Nitin

I am currently applying with name change.

So far, it hasn't taken long for interview compared to "normal" times and it doesn't cost anything extra.

However, from what I hear, your oath might be delayed until they can schedule you for judicial oath (as opposed to administrative oath). Again, just speculation.

You would get name change certificate at your oath ceremony as long with your natur. cert.

Thanks Supercomp

has anyone else who applied for the name change has got the oath date, and can share their experiences?
basically how often is the judicial oath ceremony arranged compared to the administrative one?
what are the legal options for name change, after getting the naturalization certificate and how much time does it take?
regards

Assuming you're from Milpitas, CA (I'm guessing San Jose DO), some folks have reported on the San Jose Timeline thread that you can no longer change your name in San Jose during the naturalization process.

If you don't actually live in the San Jose DO, you probably can. The amount of extra time it takes really depends on your DO. For example, in Los Angeles, the main oath ceremonies are conducted by the US District Court (Central CA), so they can process name changes along with everyone else. I beleive those who got their names changed got a form stapled to the back of the naturalization certificate.

Your other option is to do it after you get naturalized at your local court. The process is fairly quick. It probably won't take more than a week or two. However, it does cost betwen $300 and $500. Google your county name and courts and call them up and ask them how to get your name changed and usually they'll mail you a packet you have to fill out and file with the court.

Good luck!

Nitin,
In Atlanta DO, administrative oath happens same day as interview. Judicial oath schedule varies but I heard it is usually is 3 months apart. No doubt that easier is to change name with N400 though it is not difficult from outside. You go to superior court in your county, submit petition, advertise in news papers that court asks for 4 weeks, wait for the hearing date and go infront of judge and get name changed. In Atlanta area, it can take from 5 to 8 weeks from the date of filing to get date. It costs filing fee + newspaper ad fee. (about 160$ total in Atlanta, higher in CA I am sure)

So timewise it may be same or similar though with court name change, more efforts on your part. So if you can, I would recommend name change with N400

My wife had a name "correction" - similar to a name change I guess. No impact whatsoever to timelines. Ofcourse, Austin/SA only conduct judicial oaths. As some have mentioned here, only same-day oaths administered by USCIS are "administrative"; all others are judicial.

At any rate, all she did was ask the IO for a correction during her int. and then at the oath, they had her sign a name change form which is the legal doc. for you to keep. She was then given that along with her naturalization cert. That's all.

Is it possible that even if one did not indicate name change on the N-400 application, one can change it by requesting the court during oath ceremony?

The Guide states that "If you are going to take the Oath of Allegiance at a Naturalization Ceremony that is held in Court, you may ask the Court to change your name. If the Court grants your request, your new name will appear on your Certificate of Naturalization."

Last edited by a moderator:
TblSpoon22,
If you have not asked for name change on form, you can ask for it during interview. I don't think you can ask for it on the day of oath since you have to sign the petition when you ask for name change and sign your new name on 2 photos (Something that you will do during interview if you ask for name change on N-400 or during interview).

On the day of your oath, they keep both your new name court order and Nat cert with new name ready. I doubt that can be done on the day of the oath.

I had asked for name change in application. Now I decided not to change. Will they accept or will it pose any problem.
The reason, for Wisconsin residents the oath is on the same day if no change in name.

Appreciate comment.

I had asked for name change in application. Now I decided not to change. Will they accept or will it pose any problem.

They will accept your change of mind and it won't cause a problem if you tell them at the interview. But if you tell them after the interview, it could cause a delay to your oath date.

How come your signature says "Interview and Oath scheduled on 4/28/2011"? They don't schedule the oath before the interview is done. Even if the location offers same day-oath that doesn't mean you will get a same-day oath.

They will accept it, but deciding against the name change at this point in time may cause a delay because you've already had the interview and USCIS has been preparing the naturalization certificate with your new name and filing paperwork with the Federal court for your name change.

Thanks Jackolantern;
My interview is on 4/28, now would it be possible to make a "request" for not changing the name over phone or some way...? Or am I going to complicate things...

Thanks Jackolantern;
My interview is on 4/28, now would it be possible to make a "request" for not changing the name over phone or some way...? Or am I going to complicate things...
I edited my post when I saw in your signature that your interview is 4/28, so the sentence which you quoted is now obsolete.

All you have to do is tell the interviewer you don't want the name change, and you'll be OK and there won't be a delay or complications. But you would risk a delay if you told them this after the interview.

How come your signature says "Interview and Oath scheduled on 4/28/2011"? They don't schedule the oath before the interview is done. Even if the location offers same day-oath that doesn't mean you will get a same-day oath.

Myself and my wife did receive a separate notice from the field office with a note attached to it saying morning interview and in afternoon oath ceremony.

Myself and my wife did receive a separate notice from the field office with a note attached to it saying morning interview and in afternoon oath ceremony.

Yes, but the fact that they have same-day oath doesn't mean you will be in the same-day oath. If you receive "decision cannot be made" because your application needs supervisor review or they requested more evidence than what was available at the interview, you'll have to wait for another oath day. Or if you want to go ahead with the name change (i.e. you don't cancel your existing name change request at the interview), you won't get a same-day oath because they'll need more time to file the name change paperwork with the court and schedule a judicial oath for you.