Name change due to typo in Birth Certificate

sipak

Registered Users (C)
I'm from Pakistan and birth registration rules have not been really enforced, specially in 70s when I was born. For my green card, I asked my parents to do birth registration + affidavit supporting late registration cause.

In my birth certificate, the clerk had a typo (missed one letter in my first name e.g. Shaeen instead of Shaheen); where as affidavit and all mother other documents have it as Shaheen. I did not realized it nor did was highlighted by USCIS all these years until my N-400 interview day. IO told me that as they will have to issue certificate of citizenship based on birth certificate name and suggested that I will have to do a name change to correct this at oath time so I filled out name change request to change name from 'Shaeen' to 'Shaheen'.

Now I've received my oath scheduling letter with 'Shaeen', where as I've GC, my passport and all my current documents including SSN with name written as 'Shaheen'. So few questions in this situation.

1. Has any one had such experience?
2. Is there any thing that I need to do post oath with my short-lived name 'Shaeen' to cause any issue down the road e.g. name correction with SSA, etc.?
3. Going forward while filling forms, for question like 'Have you used any other name?' should I start writing 'Shaeen' as well other than corrected 'Shaheen' which I've never done it before.

Appreciate your guidance and suggestion on this matter.

You have nothing to worry about. There is absolutely nothing to do except do the name change at oath. You have never been using the name Shaeen on any other US documents. This name issue you have is the result of a mix up so don't stress about. Just let the process of the oath name change fix this little issue and then go on with your live as if it never happened. Because for all intents and purposes, you did not change your name because you have legally used Shaheen before and after oath on all documents.

Many thanks for your reply.

Just to clarify; so you are suggesting that ... going forward, I DO NOT mention 'Shaeen' in forms questions like 'Any other names used?' for Passport or SS update.

I am confused and confirming as practically now my N-400 has my name as 'Shaeen' and oath letter I received has me as 'Shaeen' as well.

Any other expert opinions on this?

Thanks.

Just to clarify; so you are suggesting that ... going forward, I DO NOT mention 'Shaeen' in forms questions like 'Any other names used?' for Passport or SS update.

I am confused and confirming as practically now my N-400 has my name as 'Shaeen' and oath letter I received has me as 'Shaeen' as well.

Any other expert opinions on this?

Thanks.

Until you get naturalization certificate, your name is technically not changed. After naturalization, just stick to your new name (showing old name or not is not that important so either ways, you would be fine).

Since "Shaeen" is on your birth certificate and in USCIS files, there is a US and non-US government agency that has a record of it, which means it would be treated as having been used in an official (albeit unintentional and incidental) capacity and so you should mention "Shaeen" when asked for "other names used".