Name change (Changing both given and last name)

sakina

Registered Users (C)
Name change question has been answered a couple of times on this forums. However, when I searched for change of full name, it did not seem to be there.

So here it goes.

Me and my husband recently received our GC. My passport was expiring by next month end.

As per our custom, I had changed my first name and taken my husband's last name after marraige (so my entire name changed). All my documents are with my maiden name. Both GC and my passport had my maiden name.

Last week I got my passport renewed with my new name (using marriage certificate and husband's passport as proof for name change). Yesterday I efiled I90 application and selected "my name or other biographic information has changed since the card was issued." as the option to change my name on GC.

My question - What all supporting documents will be required during my visit to local office? Will my new passport (with my new name), along with my marriage certificate be sufficient ? Will I need a court order?

Ginnu and gurus, please advise.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a Passport with new name along with marriage certificate should be sufficient.

Just out of curiosity, why did you change your first name?

LiveAndLetLive said:
I think a Passport with new name along with marriage certificate should be sufficient.

Just out of curiosity, why did you change your first name?

Ginnu, please confirm.

As to "why change my first name?" - Like I said earlier, its our custom
:)

sakina said:
As to "why change my first name?" - Like I said earlier, its our custom
:)
sakina, i believe your original question has been addressed. pardon me for going off-topic: you have a muslim-sounding name. i am curious to know what country or part of the world this custom comes from. i am a former muslim myself, but i admit i have not come across such a custom before. i hope you will indulge my curiosity. thanks!

Pork Chop said:
sakina, i believe your original question has been addressed. pardon me for going off-topic: you have a muslim-sounding name. i am curious to know what country or part of the world this custom comes from. i am a former muslim myself, but i admit i have not come across such a custom before. i hope you will indulge my curiosity. thanks!

Pardon me for going off topic too but I can not help. Can one be a
FORMER muslim? I remmeber that a muslim can not be converted
to other religion (including no-religlion)

AmericanWannabe said:
Pardon me for going off topic too but I can not help. Can one be a
FORMER muslim? I remmeber that a muslim can not be converted
to other religion (including no-religlion)
i did not convert. i had renounced my faith as a teenager, and have been a confirmed atheist since. i am 41 now.

Pork Chop said:

I am not sure if it is religious or not. May be you are right. I am not a religious scholar. I just followed the customs in our house. Either way, this has already been done and I am happy about it.

I would really appreciate if any one of you could confirm what LiveAndletlive has opined.

LiveAndLetLive - I do not intent to insult you in anyway. I do value your thoughts. Just trying to get a few more expert opinions.

Physical Card Recived

We have recieved phyical card and now wifey wants to take the husbands last name and we were wondering what is the procedure ?

Current Status :
1. Green Card contains maiden name.
2. Everything of hers contains her maiden name.
3. Passport contains maiden name but has a stamp saying that she is married to me.

Want to be Status :
1. Passport to have husbands last name : which I believe is simple procedure, kindly correct me if I am wrong
2. What needs to be done to have it changed on green card ?
3. We will be applying for Social security card, do you think we should apply with Maiden name or husbands last name ?

Kindly advise
V

Here are the steps we are following (and gurus correct me if I am going wrong anywhere)

1> I got the name changed on my passport (in fact I have changed both my first and last name without hitch). For me, they requested my passport, my husband's passport and marriage certificate - all originals.

2> I also efiled form I90 for change of biographic information.

3> I am expecting a letter from USCIS with instructions to go to our local USCIS office. I guess there I would need my current GC with my maiden name, my old and new passport and my marriage certificate.

4> Once the local office verify's the documents and submits it to USCIS, I am expecting a new GC based on my new name

5> After GC, I will go and get my name changed on SSN

6> After I get the new SS Card, I will change name on driver's license and other institutions like banks etc.

Do let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks

sakina said:
Here are the steps we are following (and gurus correct me if I am going wrong anywhere)

1> I got the name changed on my passport (in fact I have changed both my first and last name without hitch). For me, they requested my passport, my husband's passport and marriage certificate - all originals.

2> I also efiled form I90 for change of biographic information.

3> I am expecting a letter from USCIS with instructions to go to our local USCIS office.
***** you will not need to go to Local USCIS, you will go to nearest ASC who will take your Photograph, index fingerprint and signature on white card, you have to submit the Card to them
I guess there I would need my current GC with my maiden name, my old and new passport and my marriage certificate.
-------------- if possible try to change the name also on stateID or DL and SSN Card( check the SSA office or DMV/MVS rule in your state)+Old passport+new Passport +marriage certificate or any affidevit of name change from Xto Y
4> Once the local office verify's the documents and submits it to USCIS, I am expecting a new GC based on my new name
------------- when you go to ACS they will take your Photograph, index fingerprint and signature on white card and they will send it to your service center(where I-485 was approved) and then USCIS officer makes the changes in USCIS computer system and will send it to Card production unit
5> After GC, I will go and get my name changed on SSN

6> After I get the new SS Card, I will change name on driver's license and other institutions like banks etc.

Do let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks

vivek1975 said:
We have recieved phyical card and now wifey wants to take the husbands last name and we were wondering what is the procedure ?

Current Status :
1. Green Card contains maiden name.
2. Everything of hers contains her maiden name.
3. Passport contains maiden name but has a stamp saying that she is married to me.

Want to be Status :
1. Passport to have husbands last name : which I believe is simple procedure, kindly correct me if I am wrong
---------------- get her new passport copy with new name
2. What needs to be done to have it changed on green card ?
------------ you need to file form I-90 with LA lockbox address with fee$185+$70 or Eflie the form I-90
3. We will be applying for Social security card, do you think we should apply with Maiden name or husbands last name ?
------------try to apply with new name
Kindly advise
V

ginnu said:
3> I am expecting a letter from USCIS with instructions to go to our local USCIS office.
***** you will not need to go to Local USCIS, you will go to nearest ASC who will take your Photograph, index fingerprint and signature on white card, you have to submit the Card to them
I guess there I would need my current GC with my maiden name, my old and new passport and my marriage certificate.
-------------- if possible try to change the name also on stateID or DL and SSN Card( check the SSA office or DMV/MVS rule in your state)+Old passport+new Passport +marriage certificate or any affidevit of name change from Xto Y

To change the name on DL or SSN, would I not require the updated GC? I thought the process was

Marriage Certificate --> Passport --> GC --> SSN --> DL

May be DL and SSN can be done in parallel

Please correct me if I am wrong.