Name change certificate...how long?

kiddoso

Registered Users (C)
As part of the naturalization process, I have requested name change. I have already attended the oath ceremony, but haven't received the name change certificate yet? Do they mail the certificate? Approximately how long does it take before I receive it? I am in Houston, TX if that matters. Thanks in advance!

kiddoso said:
Anyone please? Thanks!

The name change certificate is normally issued to the applicant along with the naturalization certificate at the oath ceremony. What did they tell you at the oath ceremony about your name change court order?

By the way, the name change certificate looks like an ordinary piece of paper with the court seal and the clerks signatures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kiddoso,

I'm not sure how it works in Houston, but I also requested a name change, and I received it at the oath ceremony. (My D.O was Columbus, Ohio.) I thought the certificates were usually handed out at the oath, but maybe I'm mistaken. (Anyone else had to wait for their certificate of name change?)

When I had a few questions about the oath ceremony, I telephoned the clerk of courts at the courthouse where the ceremony was going to be conducted, and they connected me with the USCIS officer who actually processed us before the ceremony. Perhaps you could try to call the courthouse, and ask about the certificate?

Thanks for the reply homeschoolmum and fitness99!

homeschoolmum, the name on the certificate is the new name.

I'll have to track it down...urghhhh!

kiddoso said:
Thanks for the reply homeschoolmum and fitness99!

homeschoolmum, the name on the certificate is the new name.

I'll have to track it down...urghhhh!

Okay, that's good that it's in your new name. The reason I ask is that some years ago, a friend of mine had requested a name change. However, INS neglected to process the change, and she ended up with the naturalization certificate in her old name, and no name change court order. She didn't try to fix the problem immediately, and after many phone calls and letters, she gave up. At least the natz. certificate is in your new name!

Hope you're able to sort out what's going on, and please let us know when you track down the elusive name change document! :D

homeschoolmum said:
some years ago, a friend of mine had requested a name change. However, INS neglected to process the change, and she ended up with the naturalization certificate in her old name, and no name change court order. She didn't try to fix the problem immediately, and after many phone calls and letters, she gave up. :D

I believe if your friend asked there, at the Oath Ceremony about her name change, she could have her problem solved on the spot...after that is much more complicated.

i requested a name change. However, when i received my oath cert, it did not have a name change form attached. the USCIS officers were not friendly to help (in the booth), and i guess it was too many people trying to get to them receiving the cert. however, I spoke with someone because of my issue, and I did not plan to leave the oath without resolving it. they issued me a court paper (green form) with handwritting of my name change. it did not look offical at all. however, it is what i got, and i did not know what to do. they took a copy of it thou.

i went to LA downtown to talk to the court people who handle the naturalization process. they said "is it what they gave it to you?". i said "yep, it is". the person who in that dep told me, "well, that is it. keep it safe with your oath, otherwise you would have a problem in the future".

I still do not know how I can get the "offical" court paper with the offical seal (from court?) and the signature. I do not know how bad it would hurt me in the long run. However, i will have to keep the green form very well with me.

by the way, my friend who had her name changed (added her english name as her offical full name) has an offical court paper, stamped and signed by someone (don't know who the person was).

I would think that the name change paperwork has to be official. It has to be. I assume the agencies issuing the driver license, social security card, credit cards, my bank, etc will all ask for the official paperwork.

I have set up an appointment through InfoPass with USCIS Houston. I will let everyone know how it goes. I just hope that it will be over with soon.

kiddoso said:
I would think that the name change paperwork has to be official. It has to be. I assume the agencies issuing the driver license, social security card, credit cards, my bank, etc will all ask for the official paperwork.

I have set up an appointment through InfoPass with USCIS Houston. I will let everyone know how it goes. I just hope that it will be over with soon.

yes, it has to be offical. however, if the offical said it is an offical paper, i am not sure who should I turn to for asking question anymore :(

anyhow, DMV looked into my naturalization cert and the name change form. Social secuirty dep only looked into my naturalization cert. my bank did not ask me any questions. USPS did not look into my name change for passport application.

my CC / stock market acct / airline freq flyer accts require me to have a cert copy of my name change form. I did it.