Name change at citizenship interview

paul4gc

Registered Users (C)
In N400 I filled the name change column with new name.

How exactly it works? Do I get the citizenship certificate with new name? or the name change process starts there, and will take its own course of time?

I am expecting interview in Sep/Oct 2019. If the name change process starts at interview, can I change the name as per local city/county process, and carry that certificate to the interview?

Field office for my interview would be San Francisco, CA.

Thanks.

Last edited:
In N400 I filled the name change column with new name.

How exactly it works? Do I get the citizenship certificate with new name? or the name change process starts there, and will take its own course of time?

I am expecting interview in Sep/Oct 2019. If the name change process starts at interview, can I change the name as per local city/county process, and carry that certificate to the interview?

Field office for my interview would be San Francisco, CA.

Thanks.
You should get the N400 certificate with the new name.

USCIS in San Francisco doesn't do name changes, its an administrative ceremony there not judicial.

Actually my name change is about fixing the errors, first & last names messed up by passport office in India during renewal, and that continued in further renewals. My old passport has correct name, based on that it may be possible to get a new passport with correct name from Indian consulate, it is fast to do.

If I get a new passport with correct name, can it be used as record for name change every where (USCIS, DMV, SSN etc)? OR going to court is the only option for me now? Court process may take 12 to 16 weeks in my county.

Thanks.

Actually my name change is about fixing the errors, first & last names messed up by passport office in India during renewal, and that continued in further renewals. My old passport has correct name, based on that it may be possible to get a new passport with correct name from Indian consulate, it is fast to do.

You traveled under an erroneous name every instance you used the "messed up" passport?