Name change and passport

barnold

Registered Users (C)
I will get my Naturalization Certification next month and I add a middle name.

here is the question, can I apply for a passport as soon as get my Nat. Cert.

or first I should change my social security card with a new name?

Thanks
barnold

But don't forget to get SS card changed after that. (To reflect new name and also to reflect that you are a citizen now) Better to have same information in all US govt dept.

I changed my middle name and my wife changed her middle and last name. To applying for PP, they said I have to change the driver's license first. SSN accepted the nat certificate to change names. So now my wife has to update her driver's license and they we can apply for PP.

BTW, do we need to change the names on the house title?

I changed my name during the Naturalization process and was able to get pp without changing my driver's license.

I changed my middle name and my wife changed her middle and last name. To applying for PP, they said I have to change the driver's license first. SSN accepted the nat certificate to change names. So now my wife has to update her driver's license and they we can apply for PP.

BTW, do we need to change the names on the house title?

That is weird.. don't you get a court document indicating the change of name on it (old name, new name)? If that is the case the pp department should accept that and your old driver license if they need proof of identity, plus your nat certificate has a photo of you on it as well. I guess the person at the pp department didn't know what they were talking about.

That is weird.. don't you get a court document indicating the change of name on it (old name, new name)? If that is the case the pp department should accept that and your old driver license if they need proof of identity, plus your nat certificate has a photo of you on it as well. I guess the person at the pp department didn't know what they were talking about.
Yep, an old DL along with the certificate and name change court order should do just fine. I noticed that some postal employees are very inexperienced when it comes to passport applications.

Yep, an old DL along with the certificate and name change court order should do just fine. I noticed that some postal employees are very inexperienced when it comes to passport applications.
The postal employee who is taking the application has responsibility to ensure its really same person on the nat cert, physically present and signed the passport app. I believe only piece of evidence they keep is the copy of DL. Hence it may be very important for some postal employees that DL has exact same information as you are claiming on PP and Nat cert.

The postal employee who is taking the application has responsibility to ensure its really same person on the nat cert, physically present and signed the passport app. I believe only piece of evidence they keep is the copy of DL. Hence it may be very important for some postal employees that DL has exact same information as you are claiming on PP and Nat cert.
The bottom line is that they cannot reject a passport application just because a person did not have a chance to update DL. The court order that comes with the certificate supports the person's claim for a name change. Anyway, it would be wise in this situation to ask for a supervisor and make sure that this particular employee gets a proper training.

The bottom line is that they cannot reject a passport application just because a person did not have a chance to update DL. The court order that comes with the certificate supports the person's claim for a name change. Anyway, it would be wise in this situation to ask for a supervisor and make sure that this particular employee gets a proper training.

In my case I actaully did not mind. We just changed the name on the driver's license as we will have to send the original nat cert for PP. We applied at the library which accepts applications from 9AM to 9PM everyday including (Sat 9-5) so we could do the DL and then come back to do the PP again same day.

Does one get a court order document when doing the name change as part of N-400 application even though there is no judge to give oath for the name change? My spouse has got her last name changed based on marriage and her Naturalization Certificate would have her new last name.