Name change – Child (green card) Under 18 years for newly citizen parents

AshvinKPatel

Registered Users (C)
Parent going for citizen process very soon (Green card for 5 years through employment)
Child born Indian and has green card. Need to short name.

I understand once parent become citizen; can apply for password for child. And also apply for N600 process.

I would like to know if some one did process of changing name. I would like to short my child first name and middle name also going to change as my name which I am going to short in my citizen process.

Thanks,

Parent going for citizen process very soon (Green card for 5 years through employment)

I understand once parent become citizen; can apply for password for child. And also apply for N600 process.

I would like to know if some one did process of changing name. I would like to short my child first name and middle name also going to change as my name which I am going to short in my citizen process.

Thanks,

If you want to do that, you may want to do it through court and that too before you apply for N600/Passport so he/she would get changed name in moving forward documents.

From what I heard, it is very simple process (It may vary from county to county so check with your county to be sure)
  • Get name change packet from court
  • Fill out and submit with required fees
  • Court would run name change advertisement etc
  • If no objections within 30 days, they would approve the name change and issue a court order
  • Use that while applying for PP/N600

Good Luck

Thanks,

You can request a name change even during the citizenship application process. you need to indicate it on the form itself. It will be addressed during the Oath ceremony which will be in the presence of a judge. The citizenship certificate will have the changed name on it.

You can request a name change even during the citizenship application process. you need to indicate it on the form itself. It will be addressed during the Oath ceremony which will be in the presence of a judge. The citizenship certificate will have the changed name on it.

No, the OP is talking about a name change for an under-18 child. There is no name change option for under-18 children in the citizenship process; the child's name change must be done in a separate court process.