• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Nacara nigaragua ?

vladek15425

I open this thread to be able to understand the
Why is nicaraguaen are getting a 5000 visa since1999
And do they fall under SA region?
Any idea ?

The DV lottery is supposed to receive 55,000 visas annually. However there is a seperate program - NACARA that gets 5000 of the DV visas (plus many more none DV visas)

More info here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicaraguan_Adjustment_and_Central_American_Relief_Act

It isn't just for Nicaragua...

ALSO Nicaraguans can apply for the DV lottery - and yes that is under SA. However, the 5000 NACARA visas do not go to the DV lottery winners of Nicaragua.

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding is this nacara 5000 visa allocated is more like asylium seeker.

Thank u simon

No, it's a specific allocation under DV. As far as I am aware it has never been fully used, and it seems the unused portion is available to be reallocated to other countries - a glimmer of hope for some of those with high case numbers.

No, it's a specific allocation under DV. As far as I am aware it has never been fully used, and it seems the unused portion is available to be reallocated to other countries - a glimmer of hope for some of those with high case numbers.
Its specific for them but do they get also random numbers ?
What I mean do they have they awn private lottery draw!?

Its specific for them but do they get also random numbers ?
What I mean do they have they awn private lottery draw!?

No, no private draw. But they get a quota of visas set aside just for them, which doesn't happen for other countries.

No, no private draw. But they get a quota of visas set aside just for them, which doesn't happen for other countries.

I didn't realise it was a private draw or even a lottery - my assumption had been that they were available for people wanting to do AOS - who need a visa to be available to file the I485. The recipients have to be people in the US that have sought asylum - so the 65 Nicaragua DV winners this year are presumably not entitled to the NACARA process because they haven't travelled to the US and claimed asylum.

One thing is clear though. IF the NACARA visas are not all used, every one of those will make a huge difference to the DV winners. If we got all 5000 it would as you said Susie be a glimmer of hope - actually a HUGE one.

How does that quota of visa is distributed?
If its not a random selecetion than people are aplying through an immigration process like canada or australia right?

How does that quota of visa is distributed?
If its not a random selecetion than people are aplying through an immigration process like canada or australia right?

I doubt many of us have studied the NACARA process much. Unless you are from one of the affected countries AND have made it to America AND have claimed asylum, you can't benefit from it. So - some could say we are biased against it!!

Are you just inquisitive or is it something that affects you/someone you know?

I doubt many of us have studied the NACARA process much. Unless you are from one of the affected countries AND have made it to America AND have claimed asylum, you can't benefit from it. So - some could say we are biased against it!!

Are you just inquisitive or is it something that affects you/someone you know?

No no just being curious to know all the surrounding of the dv process...
Thanks for all answers many thanks :)

I didn't realise it was a private draw or even a lottery - my assumption had been that they were available for people wanting to do AOS - who need a visa to be available to file the I485. The recipients have to be people in the US that have sought asylum - so the 65 Nicaragua DV winners this year are presumably not entitled to the NACARA process because they haven't travelled to the US and claimed asylum.

One thing is clear though. IF the NACARA visas are not all used, every one of those will make a huge difference to the DV winners. If we got all 5000 it would as you said Susie be a glimmer of hope - actually a HUGE one.

I'm confused. Why does the DV blurb then just say 5000 of the 55000 DV visas are set aside for Nacara if it's only for people seeking asylum??

One more thing guys, is left over of the visas of nacara will be destributed
On SA dv selectees ? Or on all the other regions?

I'm confused. Why does the DV blurb then just say 5000 of the 55000 DV visas are set aside for Nacara if it's only for people seeking asylum??

Yes its for people that made their way to usa, and not many can't make it happend I guess that's why they never fill up all the 5000 per year!

My conclusion is : they only mention the nacara 5000 visa with the dv lottery because and only because they still dispatch the left over visas on the SA region (or may on other region too!).
And at the end the nacara visas has got nothing to do with the dv program. Reason why: those visas falls under other kind of immgrating program process like asylium seeking ....
And other AOS for people that's already in the usa.

My understanding is that it is a temporary GRAB of DV lottery visas and passed to the other program. The Nacara program is big - some years in the early 2000's having 30k visas so I think they cobbled together the NACARA allotment from various places, DV lottery included.

Now then, this conversation made me go look a little more - and I admit I am a bit excited. The NACARA program appears to have had two main parts - 202 and 203. Wikipedia shows from 1999 to 2005 around 180,000 people got visas through the program, so it was not a small deal. However, the timeline for entry into the program (people who sought asylum in the early 90's) must mean that the demand is tapering off these days and Wikipedia figures show a glipse of that. There have probably been changes to the program and I don't have numbers at all to support this, but I imagine that the number of NACARA cases taking visas from DV2014 and beyond must be quite small. The wording in the DV instructions says the NACARA program will be assigned "up to" 5000 visas, so if they take less, then we get those back in to the general pot (not just for SA).

SO THEN - that means another possible explanation for the 35,000 extra visas this year is that they are actually trying to fill ~55,000 visas as opposed to 50K. That really would have a dramatic effect for winners - we could see much higher case numbers getting happy than we thought. I hope that is correct....

My understanding is that it is a temporary GRAB of DV lottery visas and passed to the other program. The Nacara program is big - some years in the early 2000's having 30k visas so I think they cobbled together the NACARA allotment from various places, DV lottery included.

Now then, this conversation made me go look a little more - and I admit I am a bit excited. The NACARA program appears to have had two main parts - 202 and 203. Wikipedia shows from 1999 to 2005 around 180,000 people got visas through the program, so it was not a small deal. However, the timeline for entry into the program (people who sought asylum in the early 90's) must mean that the demand is tapering off these days and Wikipedia figures show a glipse of that. There have probably been changes to the program and I don't have numbers at all to support this, but I imagine that the number of NACARA cases taking visas from DV2014 and beyond must be quite small. The wording in the DV instructions says the NACARA program will be assigned "up to" 5000 visas, so if they take less, then we get those back in to the general pot (not just for SA).

SO THEN - that means another possible explanation for the 35,000 extra visas this year is that they are actually trying to fill ~55,000 visas as opposed to 50K. That really would have a dramatic effect for winners - we could see much higher case numbers getting happy than we thought. I hope that is correct....

"Temporary" grab since 1999 :D
But ok I understand now.

Ok so ...given what you posted before about dropout rates along the way it does look better for those with higher numbers then. However it does beg the question of why suddenly this year... I suspect there may still be some disappointed people on 30 Sept.

"Temporary" grab since 1999 :D
But ok I understand now.

Ok so ...given what you posted before about dropout rates along the way it does look better for those with higher numbers then. However it does beg the question of why suddenly this year... I suspect there may still be some disappointed people on 30 Sept.

Oh yes agreed, I think there will be a cutoff still - I just can't even imagine all regions going current.

As for this year - yeah - good question. Maybe there was some thought about the plan to kill the program and perhaps they felt the pressure to show the program was achieving its objectives. Who knows...

Simon
U really lightened this point for me again.

U got my entire admiration