N600

Eddieboy

Ma'am/Sir, I have a question regarding to my certificate of citizenship. Way back 2005, I have pledged in US Embassy Manila and I declared all of my children there but during that time all of my kids are still underage. My eldest, that time was just 12 year old and my youngest was 5 year old. However, when they finally entered in the United States, by that time my eldest was already 23, followed by my 2nd child who was 22, my 3rd child who was 21, 4th child who was 20, 5th who was 18 and lastly my youngest, who was 17 back then. Someone told me before that my children are automatically US citizens under my citizenship because of the pledge I had in the US Embassy Manila but my children back then was still underage. So my question is, is it possible for my children to apply an n600 under my citizenship? What can you say about this concern? Please let me know as soon as possible so that I can process their files for application. Thank you so much for your time in this matter.

What do you mean you "pledged"?

I'd also like to understand this. It sounds like the acknowledgement of paternity/financial responsibility made for CRBA by an unmarried USC father, but then the children should have US passports anyway?

Are you a US citizen by birth or were you a US citizen when your children were born? Is the children’s mother a US citizen? Hoe long did you live in the US before they were born? What passport did the children use regardless of their age when they entered the US? If they acquired US citizenship at birth due to their parents, they can get a US passport in a US consulate abroad and enter the US. No pledge (whatever it means) is necessary if the children acquired US citizenship via their parents. There are certain criteria to determine if the acquisition has happened depending on if they were born in or out of wedlock, your and the mothers citizenship status etc.

Last edited:
This is my whole story.. My grand mother she gve birth my mother in UNITED STATES of a AMERICA but my grandmother she vacation in the Philippines togethe her child which is my "MOTHER" and she never come back again in united states of america.. after years by, The UNITED STATE OF AMERICA they send a letter to my mother that she can go to the US embassy manila and declared all of her kids that's why all her kids are they automatically a U.S CITIZEN thru my mother's Citizenship because she born in united states.Way back 2005 i have oath in US embassy manila and i declared all of my children there but during the time all of my kids are still underage and when the time i entered in the united states i didn't bring my children because nobody's watching to them while I'm working.. so i plan to left them to my live in partner .. so after 10 years to live in united states of america i petition all of my childrens. when they finally entered in the united states by that time my eldest was already 23 followed by my 2nd child who was 22, 3rd child who was 21, 4th child who was 18 and lastly my youngest who was 17th. So my question is, is it possible to my children to apply n600 under my citizenship? Because my 4th child she try to apply a n400 but she can't continue because her application the immigration they said my child she need to follow up or call the immigration because she already a u.s citizen thru my citizenship. This is my big question and what can you say about this concern? Please let me know a soon as possible so that i can process their files for application. Thank you so much for your time in this matter.

Ok. It’s still a little confusing but from what I can see: your mother was able to transmit citizenship to her kids but you (pledge or no pledge) were not able to do the same to yours as you did not meet the residence requirements in the US to do so. This is why you had to petition your kids - your words - so I assume they came in on immigrant visas? If this is the case, then all the kids who entered under the age of 18 would automatically become citizens under INA322 (that has the conditions: enter on green card, be in physical and legal custody of USC parent in the US, be under 18 - if those are all met the child is automatically a citizen). But the other ones being 18 or over need to apply N400. They may however be able to apply N600 using your mother’s presence in the US if the requirements for that are met. @newacct may have more clarification (or a different interpretation).

This story is confusing and not clear. @Eddieboy’s Mother is a United States citizen because she was born in the United States. But she never lived in the United States, so it’s confusing how did her children including @Eddieboy acquire US citizenship through her unless their father was a US citizen and fulfilled the residency. Again it’s not clear if OP and his siblings were born in wedlock or not. If OP didn’t acquire citizenship then the kids cannot either. But OP claims to have acquired citizenship somehow, which isn’t clear. The criteria for acquisition of US citizenship for kids born outside the US are given below:
https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...isition-US-Citizenship-Child-Born-Abroad.html

It’s not clear under what status OP entered the US or the kids entered the US.

i didn’t know this but just read about it. But it looks like this process has to be done before the child’s 18th birthday and has to be done in the US and not in an embassy abroad (after the grandchild enters US in any status). It doesnt seem like this happened with OP as they claim to have gone and performed some pledge at a US embassy?

i didn’t know this but just read about it. But it looks like this process has to be done before the child’s 18th birthday and has to be done in the US and not in an embassy abroad (after the grandchild enters US in any status). It doesnt seem like this happened with OP as they claim to have gone and performed some pledge at a US embassy?
I was responding to your question about how OP could have gotten citizenship, not his kids. Nothing is very clear. Also bear in mind rules have changed over time and the rules applicable as at any past date determine eligibility at that time.

I was responding to your question about how OP could have gotten citizenship, not his kids. Nothing is very clear. Also bear in mind rules have changed over time and the rules applicable as at any past date determine eligibility at that time.

Even that’s confusing for me because OP claims to have never entered the US until their eldest child was 23, so OP was obviously over 18. The information I read says that citizenship through grandparents can only be processed in the US and that too when the grandchild is under 18. Again this is assuming OP’s grandmother was a US citizen too.
http://www.apsanlaw.com/law-159.Obtaining-US-Citizenship-Through-a-Grandparent.html

Last edited:
Yes, it's confusing. If Eddieboy's father was not a US citizen, and Eddieboy was born in wedlock, the Eddieboy's mother would have had to have 10 years of physical presence in the US before Eddieboy's birth, including 5 years after turning 14 (assuming Eddieboy was born between 1952 and 1986) for Eddieboy to have US citizenship at birth, and that's hard to meet if Eddieboy's mother never went back to the US after a young age (unless she was the dependent of someone in the US military where time spent as such can be counted as time in the US). So I'm guessing that Eddieboy was born out of wedlock, in which case Eddieboy's mother only had to have been physically present in the US for some continuous period of 1 year, which she could have met as an infant if she left the US after turning 1. (The route to get citizenship via physical presence of a grandparent didn't become available until 1995, and I doubt Eddieboy was under 18 then.)

Anyway, assuming that Eddieboy is a US citizen, I am still not clear on what exactly he (I will assume Eddieboy is male) did at the US embassy and why he had to take an oath there. I can think of 3 possibilities:
1. He is saying that his children were automatically US citizens at birth, and he was getting a CRBA or US passport for them. If this is the case, the children are already US citizens and can apply for US passports at any time. In order for this to be the case, assuming the children's other parent was not a US citizen, Eddieboy would have had to have been physically present in the US for 5 years before the child's birth, including 2 years after Eddieboy turned 14 (since the children were born after 1986).
2. He is saying that he filed N-600K for his children to naturalize under INA 322, using his mother's physical presence in the US, or his own physical presence in the US including both before and after the children's birth. But this is unlikely because 1) the children would need to come to the US to take the oath before turning 18, and 2) either he or his mother would need to have 5 years of physical presence, including 2 years after turning 14.
3. He is saying that he filed I-130 petitions for his children to immigrate to the US (i.e. become green card holders). When they entered the US on their immigrant visas, they became US permanent residents (green card holders), and, if they were under 18 and living in the US with a US citizen parent at the time, they immediately became US citizens under INA 320. If they automatically became US citizens like this, they could simply apply for US passports. They could file N-600 to get Certificates of Citizenship, but this is not necessary. If they were not under 18 when they entered, they did not become citizens under INA 320, and they are still permanent residents today. In that case, they could apply for naturalization on their own if they want with N-400 once they have been permanent residents for 5 years.

Even that’s confusing for me because OP claims to have never entered the US until their eldest child was 23, l
No, that’s not what he said. He said he was in the US 10 years (or maybe more) before his eldest entered: “and when the time i entered in the united states i didn't bring my children because nobody's watching to them while I'm working.. so i plan to left them to my live in partner .. so after 10 years to live in united states of america i petition all of my childrens. when they finally entered in the united states by that time my eldest was already 23
Which still doesn’t explain his own citizenship but I can’t be bothered to trying to figure that out. If OP would provide an actual timeline of the years everyone was born/left the US/entered the US it would help. He seems pretty convinced he’s a citizen regardless how that happened, and I guess that means he entered on a US passport, so the question is really trying to figure out who if any of his kids acquired automatically through him and who needs to apply n400.

Just like my daughter she try to apply N400 but this is the response.. maybe because that time i was pledge in u.s embassy manila all of my kids are they all underage thats why...but before she entered in united states she already 19yrs old. That's why i'm confused for these..

~ ~ Document with personal information removed for your protection. ~ ~

Last edited by a moderator:
Just like my daughter she try to apply N400 but this is the response.. maybe because that time i was pledge in u.s embassy manila all of my kids are they all underage thats why...but before she entered in united states she already 19yrs old. That's why i'm confused for these..
This doesn’t say she is a citizen, it says she MAY be a citizen because she has a USC parent. My daughter got the same thing - it’s an automatic pop-up for the applicant to check their status if they tick yes to a parent being a USC. It has no idea what your personal circumstances are. You can continue with the n400 for her despite that.

I still have no idea what this pledge was but if they were US citizens because of it then they should have had US passports?

@Eddieboy If you want a better answer, I think you should answer some basic questions.
1. Do you have a US passport?
2. Were you married to the children’s mother when they were born?
3. Is their mother a US citizen?
4 Did you ever live in the US BEFORE your children were born?
5. On what visa did your children enter the US?

Unless there is some basic clarity we are all going in circles.

1. Do you have a US passport? YES
2. Were you married to the children's mother when they were born? NO
3. Is their mother a us citizen? NO
5. On what visa did your children enter the US? Immigrant

Same like this i automatically us citizen because of my parents

Attachments

• received_383840942970973.jpeg
    received_383840942970973.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 14
Same like this i automatically us citizen because of my parents

did you spend 5 years living in the US, 2 of which were after the age of 14, before your children were born?

US citizenship does not automatically just get passed down parent to child generation after generation. Certain requirements have to be met.

5. On what visa did your children enter the US? Immigrant

Re 5. Yet again the question: if your children were automatically passed citizenship from you, why did they need immigrant visas when citizens would have had US passports?