N600 - questions

LiveFree

Registered Users (C)
1. Could anyone tell me how long does it normally take for processing of N600 and get the naturalization certificate for a minor kid?

2. Is there an interview, or just the certificate arrives by mail?

I am in NC, and planning to apply in Charlotte.

TIA

Based on what I know, it depends the age of the kids. If they are 16 and above there will be an interview (I read it in the forum some where).
I applied for my 12 year old son on 1/2/2010 and the check got cleared however I donot receive the NOA toll today. Waiting for that.
If you have any updates, pls. post it here.

Where do we need to send N-600 ? Is it local DO or the national center?
Also I assume, the following supporting documents have to submitted along with the application.

1. Copy of the Green Card
2. Copy of the parent's naturalization certificate.
3. 2 passport size (2''x2") photographs
4. Copy of the driver license of the parent?

and ofcourse, an application fee.

To the local DO.
I did not send my DL copy and Naturalization cert. I included all other items and my passport copy. I received the acknowledgement letter (not like the NOA) from Washington DO.

rajarajan3,

Thanks for your info. I have an another question regarding N-600 application. Do we need to fill out the
information of both the parents (Part 4 and 5) or is it sufficient to give information only about the parent who is
applying for N-600 ( father or mother) ?

Can apply for N600 after getting passport for minor child?

We have ( parents) got citizenship by naturalization.
After that, along with our passport, we have also applied for
passport of our minor child. Minor child was on green card
at this time. We have got passport as well for the minor child.

My question is, Can I now apply for N600 for the minor child?
Especially, question no 6 on N600 asks this question.

Q. 6 - Have you previously applied for a Certificate of Citizenship or U.S. passport?
No Yes (attach explanation)

Thanks.

Parent details is needed for one of them who is going to apply for that minor. So either part 4 or part 5

rajarajan3,

Thanks for your info. I have an another question regarding N-600 application. Do we need to fill out the
information of both the parents (Part 4 and 5) or is it sufficient to give information only about the parent who is
applying for N-600 ( father or mother) ?

You hve to check Yes. Attach an additional sheet stating that you have applied for passport on so and so date and received on so and so date. Also mention that you have attached the photo copy of the passport. Remember to attach the passport copy of the minor.

We have ( parents) got citizenship by naturalization.
After that, along with our passport, we have also applied for
passport of our minor child. Minor child was on green card
at this time. We have got passport as well for the minor child.

My question is, Can I now apply for N600 for the minor child?
Especially, question no 6 on N600 asks this question.

Q. 6 - Have you previously applied for a Certificate of Citizenship or U.S. passport?
No Yes (attach explanation)

Thanks.

N - 600 Tracking

You hve to check Yes. Attach an additional sheet stating that you have applied for passport on so and so date and received on so and so date. Also mention that you have attached the photo copy of the passport. Remember to attach the passport copy of the minor.

We can start a tracking of N-600. I applied 2 N-600 at Atlanta DO on 1/13. Within 3 day received a letter with 2 cash receipts listed with name & A# of my sons. The letter says "this type of case usually takes 1 yr, so please do not contact before that. If you need to change address or know the status of case then contact ATL DO with infopass".

I applied for my son N-600 in first week of novembe in Newark. Received letter last week to appear for Oath Ceremony on Feb 25th.

N600- Trcaking

I have mailed it on 01/02/2010. Received a letter (receipt) stating that the N-600 is received and normally it takes 180 days to get processed. If it is beyond 180 days, reach out to them. I have applied at Washington DC DO (actual location is in Fairfax VA).

I only have one question, though: Why wouold one need an N-600 if you are getting your child a passport, and for all intents and purposes your minor child is a citizen already? As far as I know the law says I can pick one of the 2 ways with my son (i.e. N-600 or passport).

I only have one question, though: Why wouold one need an N-600 if you are getting your child a passport, and for all intents and purposes your minor child is a citizen already? As far as I know the law says I can pick one of the 2 ways with my son (i.e. N-600 or passport).

Yes, there is no real need to obtain a certificate of citizenship once your child has a US passport. And the law says that too. I guess some people sleep better at night when they have obtained everything there is to get from USCIS.

is ther some one with any update on N-600?
I have mailed it on 01/02/2010. Received a letter (receipt) stating that the N-600 is received and normally it takes 180 days to get processed. If it is beyond 180 days, reach out to them. I have applied at Washington DC DO (actual location is in Fairfax VA).

My friend applied for her 8 years old child's N-600 at Houston DO. USCIS did not send confirmation about receiving the application.

After about 5 months waiting USCIS sent her a letter asking her to return the child's green card. About a month after she returned the GC she received the COC in mail. No interview or personal appearance was needed in this case.

This seems to be the standard procedure in Houston. She also mentioned that the Houston DO accepts money order only and they send back applications with personal checks.

I thought this might help some people here.

Minor child out of USA

What is the procedure if the minor child is outside USA? where to apply for N-600 and Passport? US consulate in the other country? Please advise.

Based on my understanding the minor has to be in your physical custody at the time you naturalize meaning the child is assumed to be permanently living in the US.

Those who have already received the COC for their minor kids through N-600 application, can you please post the documents needed? The instructions for N-600 has several documents listed. Do we have to send them all especially I am interested in the following as the other don't seem to apply to me:

B - Birth certificate of record (for the child)
J - Copy of GC (of the child)
K - Proof of required residence or physical presence in the US (for parents)

It also says that you do not need to submit documents that were provided in connection with:

2) An immigration petition or application and included in a USCIS administrative file. You should indicate that you want the USCIS to rely on such documents and identify the administrative file(s) by namd and A-Number. USCIS will only request the required documentation again if necessary.

With the above condition it seems that I don't have to send any document except our (parents) naturalization certification. The reason I am hesitant is my daughter's foreign birth certificate is messed up. Her BC from the native country does not have her name (there is a long line as scratched out againt the name) as it is common practice not to name the baby for weeks after they are born. We had an RFE when we did our daughter's GC and simply provided affidavits and also provided a letter from her school (that was little over 5 years ago) that her records indicate her brith date as xx/xx/xxxx. I don't want to go thru the same hoops again.

It also says that if any of the above documents cannot be provided you must establish why the evidence is not available. You may be required to submit an original written statement from the relevant government or other authority explaining the reason for the unavailability of the documents and lists the following documents:

A - Baptismal certificate
B - Church records
C - School record
D - Census records
E - Affidavits

Any help is greatly appreciated.

First apply for yours and your son's & daughter passports first. If they are minor (below 18 yrs) they can obtain US passport. After that apply for COC. At least I did like this. COC normally takes 6-12 months. All the docs listed below should be enogh. Attach your's maarige certificate too if it is in english otherwise get it certified and attach both. I got a RFE on maariage certificate.

Those who have already received the COC for their minor kids through N-600 application, can you please post the documents needed? The instructions for N-600 has several documents listed. Do we have to send them all especially I am interested in the following as the other don't seem to apply to me:

B - Birth certificate of record (for the child)
J - Copy of GC (of the child)
K - Proof of required residence or physical presence in the US (for parents)

It also says that you do not need to submit documents that were provided in connection with:

2) An immigration petition or application and included in a USCIS administrative file. You should indicate that you want the USCIS to rely on such documents and identify the administrative file(s) by namd and A-Number. USCIS will only request the required documentation again if necessary.

With the above condition it seems that I don't have to send any document except our (parents) naturalization certification. The reason I am hesitant is my daughter's foreign birth certificate is messed up. Her BC from the native country does not have her name (there is a long line as scratched out againt the name) as it is common practice not to name the baby for weeks after they are born. We had an RFE when we did our daughter's GC and simply provided affidavits and also provided a letter from her school (that was little over 5 years ago) that her records indicate her brith date as xx/xx/xxxx. I don't want to go thru the same hoops again.

It also says that if any of the above documents cannot be provided you must establish why the evidence is not available. You may be required to submit an original written statement from the relevant government or other authority explaining the reason for the unavailability of the documents and lists the following documents:

A - Baptismal certificate
B - Church records
C - School record
D - Census records
E - Affidavits

Any help is greatly appreciated.

RSK1

I have already applied for our and our daughter's passports. I was planning on applying for my daughter's N-600 while the passport process is on which can take 4-6 weeks. My concern was should I submit all the documents listed or just the naturalization certificates of the parents? The instructions state that I could choose not to submit if those documents are already with USCIS. I certainly don't want to send the messed up BC of my daughter and the affidavits (from her grand parents and uncles) once again. That is a long process...

Interesting they asked for marriage certificate, all of the documents should be in my daughter's A-file, right?

Thanks