N600 Question

cooluswiz

Registered Users (C)
My wife has got her citizenship and I am currently waiting on the decision(Gave Interview and filed RFE), can my wife apply for my daughter (15 Yrs) years now (N600) or have to wait till I get my citizenship. Further can we apply for her(Daughter 15 Yrs) passport before N600 or have to apply for N600 and get the approval. Also can we apply directly in the local office or have to send it via mail to national center in Texas. Please advise.

Is your wife the mother of your daughter? And is your daughter a green card holder living in the US with both of you and your wife?

If yes to both questions, your wife* can apply for your daughter's N-600 and US passport right now; it is not necessary to wait for N-600 approval to apply for her passport.

If the answer is no to either question, more facts are necessary.

N-600 is not filed at a local office, it must be filed at the address specified in the N-600 instructions.

*you're not entirely disallowed from applying for her, but since your wife is a US citizen and you aren't yet it would be more straightforward if your wife does the N-600.

As of Oct 30th, 2011, ALL N-600s will be filed at a lockbox. That will be better because you will get a receipt number that will be tracked in the online case status.

Otherwise, see Jackolantern's post.

As of Oct 30th, 2011, ALL N-600s will be filed at a lockbox. That will be better because you will get a receipt number that will be tracked in the online case status.

Otherwise, see Jackolantern's post.

Hi BigJoe5.,

Please advise and clear me as following questions.

1) We got (myself, and wife ) Naturalization Certificates on 10/17/2011 @ Newark office.
2) I was not abled to update the kid's SSN due to kids (one @ 17 and another one @12) evidence of their citizenship.
3) Immigration officer advised better first apply the passport for them then once get pp, show the pps to SSN officer, then we can update the SSN for kids.
4) Is it needed N-600 approval for applying the OCI or PIO
5) If yes, please advise the procedure of N-600 with required documents , and easy tips, how much time it will take.

I would greatly appreciate it.

GOOD LUCK FOR ALL.

Thanks in advance.,
-usinsuser99

Hi BigJoe5.,

Please advise and clear me as following questions.

1) We got (myself, and wife ) Naturalization Certificates on 10/17/2011 @ Newark office.
2) I was not abled to update the kid's SSN due to kids (one @ 17 and another one @12) evidence of their citizenship.
3) Immigration officer advised better first apply the passport for them then once get pp, show the pps to SSN officer, then we can update the SSN for kids.
4) Is it needed N-600 approval for applying the OCI or PIO
5) If yes, please advise the procedure of N-600 with required documents , and easy tips, how much time it will take.

I would greatly appreciate it.

GOOD LUCK FOR ALL.

Thanks in advance.,
-usinsuser99

1. congrats
2. SSA needs some evidence--they will check USCIS' SAVE Program--without an N-600, USCIS cannot confirm citizenship, the Passport is an alternate for SSA's purposes
3. For the "easy" cases, a passport is quicker but a passport is limited (it expires and USCIS can challenge it, an erroneous passport is not proof of USC)

Matter of Rocha, 10 I&N Dec. 770 (BIA 1969) held:

Notwithstanding that respondent acted in good faith and made a full disclosure of all the facts at the time of her application for a United States passport, the erroneous issuance to her of such a passport by an official or the U.S. Government does not bestow citizenship on her when she did not acquire U.S. Citizenship at birth abroad under any statute, and she is deportable as an alien who was excludable at the time of entry.

4. Evidence required by India is a question best addressed to Indian authorities.
5. The N-600 form instructions are available at www.uscis.gov on the forms tab. Be aware of new filing location information.

Filing an N-600 is NOT an absolute legal requirement. Filing an N-600 is a really good idea and in the best interest of the derivative citizen. An N-600 will ensure the change in status gets recorded in the DHS databases. If ever arrested, DHS (ICE) would not issue a detainer if the person is immediately identified as a USC. E-Verify would most likely immediately OK the person to work with or without an N-600 but COULD return a Tentative Non-Confirmation and require further steps at an inopportune time. The same situation could be avoided for SAVE inquiries (by DMV, Schools, welfare agencies and SSA).

1. congrats
2. SSA needs some evidence--they will check USCIS' SAVE Program--without an N-600, USCIS cannot confirm citizenship, the Passport is an alternate for SSA's purposes
3. For the "easy" cases, a passport is quicker but a passport is limited (it expires and USCIS can challenge it, an erroneous passport is not proof of USC)

Matter of Rocha, 10 I&N Dec. 770 (BIA 1969) held:

Notwithstanding that respondent acted in good faith and made a full disclosure of all the facts at the time of her application for a United States passport, the erroneous issuance to her of such a passport by an official or the U.S. Government does not bestow citizenship on her when she did not acquire U.S. Citizenship at birth abroad under any statute, and she is deportable as an alien who was excludable at the time of entry.

4. Evidence required by India is a question best addressed to Indian authorities.
5. The N-600 form instructions are available at www.uscis.gov on the forms tab. Be aware of new filing location information.

Filing an N-600 is NOT an absolute legal requirement. Filing an N-600 is a really good idea and in the best interest of the derivative citizen. An N-600 will ensure the change in status gets recorded in the DHS databases. If ever arrested, DHS (ICE) would not issue a detainer if the person is immediately identified as a USC. E-Verify would most likely immediately OK the person to work with or without an N-600 but COULD return a Tentative Non-Confirmation and require further steps at an inopportune time. The same situation could be avoided for SAVE inquiries (by DMV, Schools, welfare agencies and SSA).

Thank you much

- usinsuser99