N600 after US passport, for my minor kids

1. I am unsure as far as T&C are concerned. There was a lady here that went by the ID SusieQQQ or something like that which file a N-600 on behalf of her child. She might know something about this.

2. I would say Online is faster than Paper. However I don't have any data point to prove this

3. I never applied for Certificate of Citizenship, so I wouldn't know. Again, SusieQQQ would be the go-to-person for these questions.

4. I seriously doubt having a US Passport speeds up any process. As a matter of a fact, USCIS now wants to be the "Dear Department of State, you erroneously interpreted, so please revoke this Passport blah blah blah" organization recently (They don't have the authority to revoke passport BTW), so I wouldn't think it is going to make it any faster.

Prior to 2010, US Passport was considered conclusive proof of US Citizenship to all organizations. Now, US Passport is Prima Facie to USCIS, so USCIS still can refuse to issue a Passport, in which, you would have to go through appeal and have the two department muscle it out. I have never seen Department of State reversing its decision just because USCIS told them to do so.

Anyways, sorry that I couldn't be much of any help and good luck to you and your child's journey to Certificate of Citizenship. I don't think the Certificate of Citizenship is mandatory if your child has an US Passport BTW.

Hello - I am in the same boat. Can the guys here, who have gone through this journey share the experience.

I applied for US passport for my minor daughter last week, and today got the oath appointment for n600. Now, I do not have the green card with me, as it is surrendered with the passport application. The oath document says that we must submit the green card, in oath ceremony. I am stuck, please guide, what happened in your case?
Hello @harsimran0902

appreciate your feedback regarding the following questions for if possible, as I’m planning to apply for my son who is 13 years old. I don’t know shall I go online or by paper:

1- How old is your daughter?

2- Did you apply online or by paper ? As T&C for USCIS says no one less than 14 years old can open online account !

3- If I file online the system ask to fill Part “6” Physical Presence in the US from birth until filing of the N600 for me as a father.. which is not applicable for me as my son got his green card then got the US passport after I became US Citizen through Naturalization. So The online system ask to fill it ??!! But if you file by paper just you keep it blank … so what shall I do if I go with the online option.

4- last question , is it faster to get the US citizenship certificate for my son as he has already a U.S. passport ? Or it will be the same processing time like the people who still don’t get a U.S. passport and file N600.

Thank you so much and appreciate your feedback

Hello - I am in the same boat. Can the guys here, who have gone through this journey share the experience.

I applied for US passport for my minor daughter last week, and today got the oath appointment for n600. Now, I do not have the green card with me, as it is surrendered with the passport application. The oath document says that we must submit the green card, in oath ceremony. I am stuck, please guide, what happened in your case?
Hello @harsimran0902
How old is your daughter? Did you apply online or by paper ? As T&C for USCIS says no one less than 14 years old can open online account ! As my son is 13 years old. I don’t know what to do … also appreciate your feedback regarding the following questions for if possible:
Today my daughter got her citizenship certificate after we filed N-600.
they used the photo we submitted online with the application, no biometrics or fingerprints needed. They asked for the green card, I don’t remember should be just to see or should return it back to us! and we forgot to ask the officer if we should get it back or they they normally collect it the filed office when my daughter get his certificate?
@DV immigrant

Congratulations of getting the citizenship certificate for your daughter. I’m planning to apply for my son N600 who is 13 years old. I don’t know shall I go online or by paper:

1- How old is your daughter at the time you filed her N600?

2- Did you apply online or by paper ? As T&C for USCIS says no one less than 14 years old can open online account !

3- If I file online the system ask to fill Part “6” Physical Presence in the US from birth until filing of the N600 for me as a father.. which is not applicable for me as my son got his green card then got the US passport after I became US Citizen through Naturalization. So The online system ask to fill it ??!! But if you file by paper just you keep it blank … so what shall I do if I go with the online option.

4- last question , is it faster to get the US citizenship certificate for my son as he has already a U.S. passport ? Or it will be the same processing time like the people who still don’t get a U.S. passport and file N600.

Even if they didn’t have their passport and still physically had possession of their green cards, they are still citizens as of the date INA320 applied..that was my point, the question doesn’t actually make sense for an N600 form. But yes, write in that they are USCs.
@SusieQQQ
I hope all is well. Appreciate your help here.
I’m planning to apply for my son N600 who is 13 years old. I don’t know shall I go online or by paper:

2- Shall I apply online or by paper ? As T&C for USCIS says no one less than 14 years old can open online account !

1. I am unsure as far as T&C are concerned. There was a lady here that went by the ID SusieQQQ or something like that which file a N-600 on behalf of her child. She might know something about this.

2. I would say Online is faster than Paper. However I don't have any data point to prove this

3. I never applied for Certificate of Citizenship, so I wouldn't know. Again, SusieQQQ would be the go-to-person for these questions.

4. I seriously doubt having a US Passport speeds up any process. As a matter of a fact, USCIS now wants to be the "Dear Department of State, you erroneously interpreted, so please revoke this Passport blah blah blah" organization recently (They don't have the authority to revoke passport BTW), so I wouldn't think it is going to make it any faster.

Prior to 2010, US Passport was considered conclusive proof of US Citizenship to all organizations. Now, US Passport is Prima Facie to USCIS, so USCIS still can refuse to issue a Passport, in which, you would have to go through appeal and have the two department muscle it out. I have never seen Department of State reversing its decision just because USCIS told them to do so.

Anyways, sorry that I couldn't be much of any help and good luck to you and your child's journey to Certificate of Citizenship. I don't think the Certificate of Citizenship is mandatory if your child has an US Passport BTW.
Thank you so much for the feedback

so USCIS still can refuse to issue a Passport ----> I meant a "Certificate of Citizenship", not a Passport! Correction!!!

@SusieQQQ
I hope all is well. Appreciate your help here.
I’m planning to apply for my son N600 who is 13 years old. I don’t know shall I go online or by paper:

2- Shall I apply online or by paper ? As T&C for USCIS says no one less than 14 years old can open online account !

Were you able to figure it out how to apply for your child less than 14 years. I am in the same boat, Did you end up applying on paper instead of online ?

Today my daughter got her citizenship certificate after we filed N-600.
they used the photo we submitted online with the application, no biometrics or fingerprints needed. They asked for the green card, I don’t remember should be just to see or should return it back to us! and we forgot to ask the officer if we should get it back or they they normally collect it the filed office when my daughter get his certificate?
I have a question,when you have applied for N-600 for your daughter, she had her US passport?!

I have a question,when you have applied for N-600 for your daughter, she had her US passport?!
Most people do it that way. US passport is much cheaper (less than $200 for a passport vs. $1170 for a Certificate of Citizenship) and faster to get than a Certificate of Citizenship, and you can actually use the passport for travel and an ID which you can't do with a Certificate of Citizenship.

What if I need a citizenship certificate as additional document , can I apply for it when my kid has US passport or he is not eligible for it ?!

What if I need a citizenship certificate as additional document , can I apply for it when my kid has US passport or he is not eligible for it ?!
You can apply for the child's Certificate of Citizenship at any time after they become a US citizen, with or without a US passport. But in what situation would you need a Certificate of Citizenship for the child, where a US passport would not suffice?

am confused, if US passport is totally enough why USCIS provides a Certificate?
I just need it to my kid as us we do have both ‍♀️

am confused, if US passport is totally enough why USCIS provides a Certificate?
I just need it to my kid as us we do have both ‍♀️
Just because they provide it doesn't mean it's necessarily useful for you. There may be some rare edge cases which need a Certificate of Citizenship and where a US passport won't do, but those are not common. Some people also like having a backup proof of citizenship.

I can't make sense of your sentence, "I just need it to my kid as us we do have both"

Fellas, kindly help me to find the answer to the processing time for the Certificate of Citizenship If anyone present here already received theirs.
In my case, I applied for two of my minor kids In September this year. (Both children have their passports already) For one child they decided to re-use the prior captured fingerprints, and for the other child they set an appointment for biometrics. At the application service center they just took her photo and said you don't need to do fingerprints. Since That day her case status has changed to " Case is being actively reviewed " The funny thing is , The status always shows the date when you check it . not like otherwise with the specific date since when it was changed. All details were shared for the information but the main question is to the guys who already got their certificates , How long was the whole procedure to have it in your hand.
Thanks for understanding

Hi omarsman - would be great to understand the path you chose to go ahead with and the outcome

I’m in the same boat