N470 and Applying for N400 from abroad ?

Answers to some questions raised:

1. FD-258 cards are the standard FBI cards used in security checks for the US, for e.g., you use these when applying for Australian and Canadian immigration or just to get security clearance for a job. See: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/forms/description-fd258

2. Same-day oath: ALL N-400 applications now go through supervisor review. This process was put in place after a highly critical 60 minutes story back in the 1990s that showed many criminal aliens got naturalized. In my case, the interview, supervisor review, and oath all happened in the space of less than three hours. So it is very possible.

3. My Timeline:
-- Applied June 15 2012
-- Flew to US for Biometrics July 31 2012. (Found out later that I could have submitted the FD-258 instead).
-- First interview scheduled for September 13. 2012 CANCELLED by USCIS!!
-- Second interview on October 31, 2012 ALSO CANCELLED!!
-- Third time lucky : Interview and Oath on November 26, 2012.

Thanks ptking. This is very useful.

One last question : I have been searching for information on submitting FD-258 cards from abroad for a N470 based application : INA 316 (b). I cant find any conclusive guideline on whether FD-258 cards can be used for INA 316 (b) cases.

Is your N400 filing from abroad based on N470 by an employer or is it based on INA 319 (b) i.e.
do you work for US government abroad ?

2. Same-day oath: ALL N-400 applications now go through supervisor review.
Yes, the interviewer is only able to "recommend for approval". But what I meant was that a supervisor review which isn't fast enough may delay the oath approval beyond the same day, especially if the interviewer doesn't put it at the "recommended for approval" stage before the supervisor review.

My N-470 was based on working for an American multi-national, not the military or government. You will not find any "guidelines" for using the fingerprint cards in these cases - I got a letter from USCIS saying I could do this after I had already done my Biometrics.

So, just go ahead and submit the cards with the N-400. If they don't accept them, you will have to do the Biometrics in the US, which you would have done anyway.

Update: My wife got her interview notice recently. We had submitted her fingerprints on the FD-258 forms. Looks like they were accepted. If they offer her a same day oath, she will only need a single trip to the US total.

My N-470 was based on working for an American multi-national, not the military or government. You will not find any "guidelines" for using the fingerprint cards in these cases - I got a letter from USCIS saying I could do this after I had already done my Biometrics.

So, just go ahead and submit the cards with the N-400. If they don't accept them, you will have to do the Biometrics in the US, which you would have done anyway.

Congrats ptking. Hope she gets same-day interview and oath.

Regarding my case : I delayed my trip by 2 months to file N400, do FP and then leave.
My REP and N470 already filed.

Questions for you and Jackolantern and immlegal :

1. We are yet to receive my FP notice for the REP. I hope to receive them for both of us in the next couple of weeks.
We will also apply N400 as soon as we become eligible first week of Feb.

As we want to leave at the earliest,
A. is there any provision for USCIS to use the FP from my REP, for the purposes of N400 ?
B. Or do I have to wait for a second FP specifically for N400 ? If this is the case, is it reasonable to expect to do walk-in FP by Feb 25th and then leave ?

2. I understand that NYC Federal Plaza does not do same-day oath, but they do weekly Saturday oaths.
When we come back for N400 interview, is it possible to request Oath in the immediate next Saturday ?

3. In the N400 form, does it matter if there is a 2-month break in employment / education ? Essentially, there is a 2-month break between finishing degree and starting the next job.

4. Finally, is there any legal provision anywhere for doing interview and oath abroad ?

Thanks for all of your help. This forum has been immensely helpful.

You really need to consult a lawyer for detailed questions. You should not rely on what is said on a bulletin board.

Congrats ptking. Hope she gets same-day interview and oath.

Regarding my case : I delayed my trip by 2 months to file N400, do FP and then leave.
My REP and N470 already filed.

Questions for you and Jackolantern and immlegal :

1. We are yet to receive my FP notice for the REP. I hope to receive them for both of us in the next couple of weeks.
We will also apply N400 as soon as we become eligible first week of Feb.

As we want to leave at the earliest,
A. is there any provision for USCIS to use the FP from my REP, for the purposes of N400 ?
B. Or do I have to wait for a second FP specifically for N400 ? If this is the case, is it reasonable to expect to do walk-in FP by Feb 25th and then leave ?

2. I understand that NYC Federal Plaza does not do same-day oath, but they do weekly Saturday oaths.
When we come back for N400 interview, is it possible to request Oath in the immediate next Saturday ?

3. In the N400 form, does it matter if there is a 2-month break in employment / education ? Essentially, there is a 2-month break between finishing degree and starting the next job.

4. Finally, is there any legal provision anywhere for doing interview and oath abroad ?

Thanks for all of your help. This forum has been immensely helpful.

Final Upate: My wife also got the same day oath right after the interview.

Moral of the story for future applicants: When applying from abroad, be sure to send in two completed FBI fingerprint cards. That way you will only need one US trip if your USCIS office offers same day oaths.

The above applies to ALL applicants from abroad with approved N-470s NOT just 319(b) cases.

Update: My wife got her interview notice recently. We had submitted her fingerprints on the FD-258 forms. Looks like they were accepted. If they offer her a same day oath, she will only need a single trip to the US total.

Hi,

Can you please confirm 2 things since you applied from abroad:

1. Did you use overseas address anywhere on the form? Especially in Part 6 - most recent home address?

2. For part 7 (Time outside the USA) - what did you put in latest trip information ('Date you returned to USA')?

Thanks!

Final Upate: My wife also got the same day oath right after the interview.

Moral of the story for future applicants: When applying from abroad, be sure to send in two completed FBI fingerprint cards. That way you will only need one US trip if your USCIS office offers same day oaths.

The above applies to ALL applicants from abroad with approved N-470s NOT just 319(b) cases.

1. Yes I used my overseas address as home address and also on most recent addresses.

2. I put N/A but you can also leave it blank. The USCIS officer filled in the date during the interview because at that time you will have returned to the US (for the interview) thus completing the "trip".

Hi,

Can you please confirm 2 things since you applied from abroad:

1. Did you use overseas address anywhere on the form? Especially in Part 6 - most recent home address?

2. For part 7 (Time outside the USA) - what did you put in latest trip information ('Date you returned to USA')?

Thanks!

Thank you ptKing for your good information. Can you please also tell 3 more things:

1. Did you apply all this yourself or used an attorney?
2. What various documentation you submitted with form? Did you write letter telling about N470? Did you provide any employment verification letter? Anything else?
3. Same process was done for both yourself and spouse?

Thanks a lot!

1. Yes I used my overseas address as home address and also on most recent addresses.

2. I put N/A but you can also leave it blank. The USCIS officer filled in the date during the interview because at that time you will have returned to the US (for the interview) thus completing the "trip".

Update on my Case and questions :

Filed N400 in Feb, Did FP and started the assignment out of country.

Got Reentry permit approval in March while out of country.

N400 interview coming up in 10 days and flying in to US ( still less than 6 months since the last departure )

N470 pending since January and still not approved.
However, had to request a reschedule of my wife's case ( which has been moving with mine so far ), because of personal situation.

Question for Jackolantern please :

1. What documents should I carry for my interview ? What non-standard question should I expect ?
2. Potentially, my wife will be out of country for more than 6 months ( with a valid REP, but not yet a N470 ). What are the potential issues ?

Thanks so much.

Need advise from Gurus
Fingerprinting scheduled for Citizenship April 4TH,2013
I was out of country from November 2012 to 2013 for total of 152 days
Almost five months.
I need to visit my country again before the interview and need advise on how number of days out of USA are counted. Calender days or continuous stay? In my case can I go for 45 days in 2013.
Thanks
Trip was as follows:
November 24,2013 to Feb 15,2013 = 84 days
March 5, 2013 to March 16,2013 =12 days
May 7,2013 to July 1,2013 =56 days
Total days = 152