N400 with Stricken-off with Leave/ Retail Theft Type A

Zara.t

I have a case that was dismissed in 2012 December in IL. It was retail theft for under $150. I was arrested, fingerprinted and released without bail and expected to come to the court on court date. I did but the store representative/lawyer did not show up so the case was dismissed is what I was told. The court disposition that I now have says stricken off with leave. I’m now applying for citizenship. I was a little over 18 at the time. My greencard was processed afterwards without any issues and I do have that. But we hired a lawyer to process those and I wasn’t very involved or knowledgeable to understand everything at the time. At the moment I’m a resident of a different state and looking for a competent lawyer and have a few options. This was my only offense and the biggest mistake of my life. I don’t know what came over me. It was so stupid. I’m so ashamed of it but I have to man up and accept it. I’m going to (as I should and have to) report it on my application and have already received a copy of the arrest record and court disposition to attach. I’m also attaching an apology letter and letters of recommendation for good moral character from my colleagues and friends. I’m past the five year statutory period and have (or atleast i think so) demonstrated GMC. The maximum sentence for this charge is under 1 year and I wasn’t sentenced neither did probation or community service or any fines so it would qualify for petty offense exception too. In my arrest report it says I was feeling ashamed and scared. Basically indicating guilt but there is no judgement from the court on being guilty. I know immigration law is different from criminal law so that has me scared. My mom recently passed away and I’m scared that I won’t get citizenship and will have to leave the country ultimately and won’t be able to visit her grave. If I could redo that day and not shoplift... My biggest regret and mistake in life. Now I’m afraid I’ll get denied and will have to renew my greencard which may also get denied consequently as well.

I have a case that was dismissed in 2012 December in IL. It was retail theft for under $150. I was arrested, fingerprinted and released without bail and expected to come to the court on court date. I did but the store representative/lawyer did not show up so the case was dismissed is what I was told. The court disposition that I now have says stricken off with leave. I’m now applying for citizenship. I was a little over 18 at the time. My greencard was processed afterwards without any issues and I do have that. But we hired a lawyer to process those and I wasn’t very involved or knowledgeable to understand everything at the time. At the moment I’m a resident of a different state and looking for a competent lawyer and have a few options. This was my only offense and the biggest mistake of my life. I don’t know what came over me. It was so stupid. I’m so ashamed of it but I have to man up and accept it. I’m going to (as I should and have to) report it on my application and have already received a copy of the arrest record and court disposition to attach. I’m also attaching an apology letter and letters of recommendation for good moral character from my colleagues and friends. I’m past the five year statutory period and have (or atleast i think so) demonstrated GMC. The maximum sentence for this charge is under 1 year and I wasn’t sentenced neither did probation or community service or any fines so it would qualify for petty offense exception too. In my arrest report it says I was feeling ashamed and scared. Basically indicating guilt but there is no judgement from the court on being guilty. I know immigration law is different from criminal law so that has me scared. My mom recently passed away and I’m scared that I won’t get citizenship and will have to leave the country ultimately and won’t be able to visit her grave. If I could redo that day and not shoplift... My biggest regret and mistake in life. Now I’m afraid I’ll get denied and will have to renew my greencard which may also get denied consequently as well.
Case was dismissed!!! Stop worrying yourself . Clearly you learned from your mistake!! Good Luck on your n400 App.