N400 vs Speeding Tickets

DesiBhai

Registered Users (C)
Hi All -

I am filling out N400 form. Question # 16 asks about citations and to answer 'yes' if u had any. Is this where I tick yes and explain I had two speeding tickets? How important is it that I declare my traffic violations?

Thanks much,
DesiBhai

As important as being truthful is - in this case swearing that it IS the truth. Why would you even think that lieing is an option?

DesiBhai said:
Hi All -

.....How important is it that I declare my traffic violations?

Thanks much,
DesiBhai

Certainly...

...dont mean to lie or leave anything out...just wanted to know that a 'citation' is actually the same thing as a speeding ticket...thx!

Q16

So, I should say yes to question 16 on N400, right? and then list out my tickets in the section below...

Hey

You should list all of your tickets information, and it does not effect on your citizenship process whatsoever. I had listed all of my tickets and was asked questions during the interview if i paid all of my fines, I answered yes, and the officer moved on to next question.

Be honest,

Good Luck

Hi there!

I did not list the one "failure to obey highway sign" that I got, after listening to the normally useless USCIS advise.

It is my intention to bring it up during the interview...I have all the documentation from Fairfax County District Court (that the fine was paid, case closed etc.).

Cheers,
Nico

need help

Friends, Need your quidence. I am in processing to filling the
N400 form. and i dont remeber the number to parking/over speeding ticket i got in last 5 year. is they any way i can get
the list of all traffic violation from any where.
YOUR adv will help me to mov ein right direction

thanks
kas

tickting

JoeF said:
If you look at your speeding tickets, you will find that they say "Citation" quite prominently (e.g., citation # xxx).

Hi,

i called USCIS n talked to one of the rep n she said that minor citations like speeding tickets need not to be mentioned in the form N400 .i just want to reconfirm it from this forum .

need yr advise
kas

kab901 said:
Hi,

i called USCIS n talked to one of the rep n she said that minor citations like speeding tickets need not to be mentioned in the form N400 .i just want to reconfirm it from this forum .

need yr advise
kas

The consensus here seems to be to list even minor traffic/moving violations. I did not list the one offense I have ("failure to obey highway sign in June of '05). I have the paperwork etc. and will tell him/her during the interview should it come up.

Older versions of the N-400 specifically stated that traffic violations need not to be mentioned. This apparently changed as people would not list things such as DUI/DWI/Reckless Driving etc. which do pose problems regarding naturalization.

So retrospectively, I should have mentioned my violation on the form, so listing it is my advise to you.

Cheers,
Nico

I listed all my traffic tickets but I think it just confused the lady who was interviewing me. She asked me twice if I have put "yes" in that column only for the speeding tickets. My opinion is there is no harm in writing them.