N400: Unusually long wait after interview

doriangrey

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

My wife passed her naturalization interview in San Jose in late September 2003, and still hasn't got her oath scheduled. She actually was able to contact the BCIS officer who explained to her that the FBI clearance was still not in. That's full 8 months!

Has anyone had a similar experience? Are you, too, still waiting for your FBI clearance? Please post your story...

Thank you!
:confused:

doriangrey said:
Hello,

My wife passed her naturalization interview in San Jose in late September 2003, and still hasn't got her oath scheduled. She actually was able to contact the BCIS officer who explained to her that the FBI clearance was still not in. That's full 8 months!

Has anyone had a similar experience? Are you, too, still waiting for your FBI clearance? Please post your story...

Thank you!
:confused:

Yes, me too in same boat however, I am 1 step ahead..see below (name chk cleared but still waiting for 3 months for oath letter only.

my time line as follows:

PD Jan., 2003
FP Feb., 2003
Interview July, 2003
FBI name chk clearance 11th feb., 2004

oath...............??????????????/ waiting n waiting

me in Oakland center, CA

doriangray,

Does your wife have a muslim sounding name ? Ibm101, i know ur name is muslim sounding, but is it a common name ? my name as u can see is very common and I am waiting for the last 8 months for name check clearance as well

it is my personal opinion (and ranting) that your name *need NOT* sound muslim. I had an interview in March and my wife had taken oath already BUT I am waiting. And this is in obscure town of Milwaukee where you do not have to drive more than 15 minutes to go from one end of water to ANYWHERE in the town.

Another one of my opinions is that the offiers are shyt dogs who just sit on these files and make no effort to move their butts off and let the files fly. Reasons? These guys are just that - shyt dogs. "I am the authority and I have nothing to explain to you, the filer." types. No explanation will ever be made to you. Wait forever or suck your thumb, whatever suits.

I do not know why, but some reasons I believe I will NEVER get my citizenship. Just that sixth (or the sixtieth!) sense is telling me. Do not ask me why. Just that odd feeling.

My zero cents and my complete "personal" opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rahul Kumar,

No, she actually isn't muslim, and her name doesn't sound muslim. I see you're in the same boat, good luck to you!

I do not know why, but some reasons I believe I will NEVER get my citizenship. Just that sixth (or the sixtieth!) sense is telling me. Do not ask me why. Just that odd feeling.
Do not think that way.would be citizen. we will get our citizenship some day..perhaps @ the age of 75 ;) ................

PLz tell me is ur name also muslim sounding?????????

whats ur time line....I mean when did u apply and from where

Sent : Dec 2003
PD: Jan 2004
FP: Feb 2004
Interview: March 2004
Oath (wife) : April 2004
Mine, waiting
Milwaukee, WI

NOT muslim sounding name. Quite Hindu sounding first name.

75 did you say? No one in my family lived to 75 so far!

Me too

Hey Guys,

I have the same feeling that I will not get my citizenship before at least a good year...

I am still waiting for five months since my interview , and I see no hope in the near future....

Really , I need patients BUT I NEED IT NOW!!!

Thanks

Philadelphian

philadelphian,

is ur app pending a name check? If so do u have a common name ? i think u contacted ur congressman. what was the outcome

We have a friend in Chicago. She and her husband had all appointments except the oath on the same day. Her husband's oath was about three months after hers, in late April this year.

Several friends in Atlanta, all Muslims, had their oaths at most within seven months of filing. In one case it was within 3 months and in case of a Hindu friend, it was within five months. Ours took nearly 10 months.

So, there does not appear to be any pattern for which we need harbor any paranoia. I would put it down to experience and delays may have any number of causes including large workload, inefficient or, less likely, incompetent officials.

Hang in there. Good luck to all.

Last edited by a moderator:
How Do You Know If Your Fbi Name Check Is In?

ibm101 said:
Yes, me too in same boat however, I am 1 step ahead..see below (name chk cleared but still waiting for 3 months for oath letter only.

my time line as follows:

PD Jan., 2003
FP Feb., 2003
Interview July, 2003
FBI name chk clearance 11th feb., 2004

oath...............??????????????/ waiting n waiting

me in Oakland center, CA

Dear ibm101,

How did you learn that your FBI name check clearance was in?

Thank you,

doriangrey

N400 @ Charlotte

Folks,

I would like to know what this FBI name check is all about. We sent our N400 to TSC on May 10th 2003 and got FP'd early August 2003. Got the interview letter last week which is scheduled for July 12th 2004. I thot they will send the interview letter only after the FBI finger prints cleared. What is this deal about name check ??

Thanks

doriangrey said:
Dear ibm101,

How did you learn that your FBI name check clearance was in?

Thank you,

doriangrey

Doriangrey: I faxed an enquiry to FBI twice. Both times got the response that FBI name chk cleared via email. The reason I sent a fax twice to FBI, Washington coz' when I recd the response first time from FBI I took the email to my local office they said that it says results forwarded to BCIS..it was not clear so I requested FBI again and i recd the email again in May that my FBI name check results forwarded to BCIs on 11th Feb. Now my local office is sitting n laying eggs. wroter 2 letters to senator no positive response yet.............. :mad: :(

I remember someone saying they received oath on the same day as the interview

If FBI name check is done after the interview, I don't understand how some district offices let the applicants take the oath at the same time as the interview. Also, I remember a post a few weeks ago, where if you were from a certain county in Texas, you got the oath letter the same day as your interview.
:rolleyes:

Hi Jaws

Check out this thread...

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=126611

Now in my experience, the FBI (if they approve you) sends you an email saying "your record check is complete". Some other threads on this forum indicate that the "name check" is DIFFERENT from the FBI "record check".

At my interview, the officer consulted an "IBIS" computer to print some information about me. This may be the "name check". I'm not sure if anyone really knows for sure all the checks that are done.

Ratrat

i am also a little worried! i just had my interview, passed the test, answered all the questions, and the officer (with this monotonous tone) said that "my name has to be cleared" and the letter will be sent to me....no date, no additional info asked...i was so surprised, cos i was left in the limbo!!!
and now you guys are saying it can be shoved down the pile and forgotten...that's exactly how it looks!!!! i had not idea what it means "your name has to get cleared"...could not they do that during the six months between the FP and the interview??? i thought the interview is the final step....
anybody in my shoes at this point?

also, how do you guys check the status of your case (after the interveiw) online? i just had my interveiw, so i am not that worried, but if i don't hear from ins in 2 months, i will want to check the status...

interview results - vague

i just passed the interview, and the officer (with monotonous voice) said that "my name has to be cleared, and then i will get a letter in the mail" . i passed the civics exam and answered all the questions...she did not ask me for any additional info! this is ridiculous! i am in the limbo...

After filing N-400 in February 2002, I passed the Naturalization
interview tests in November 14, 2002. I was told I would receive
a final decision within 120 days and the oath would be scheduled.

I never heard anything again. By July 2003, I went in person to
the same citizenship office in Miami FL and received a status
printout that said that a final decision had not been made since
supervisory action was required. In February 2004, I went again
in person and received exactly the same printout, along with a
requirement to have fingerprints taken again, which I did. I was
also told by the lady who ran the printout that "your congresswoman
is your only hope." I contacted the office of Congresswoman Ilean
Ros-Lehtinen (R) and their office sent a letter requesting that I asked
that an oath ceremony be scheduled. Subsequent contact with that
office revealed that they had received no reply either.

In August 2003 my 16 year old son was brain-injured by a hit and
run driver in Miami who was never caught, and went into a coma.
Now I fear that 21 months after passing the citizenship test, my child will
never be able to become a citizen under the child citizen act before
his 18th birthday, even though he is recovering.

I believe this has happened because I was told at the interview I had a
T-File created. I have lived in the U.S. many years and have no
criminal or arrest record.

There seems to be no way to get out of bureaucratic limbo where
I've been placed, seemingly for good. There is no way to find out
anything nor to get redress. I honestly believe at this point I will
never hear from them again or get any meaningful information.

sorry to hear about your case. For your son , I can offer sympathy and pray but for you I can recommend the flwd.

a) Is your name check cleared ? If not please find out. Read my previous postings on name check
b) It's your right to push your congresswoman to take action. Go to their offices in person and demand action
c) Write a certified letter to the Chmn of the House and Senate Cmte's on Immigration.
d) Ask to meet the supervisor of your CIS local dist office
e) You can explore "Writ of Mandimas" option through an attorney

All the best