anu_jay

Registered Users (C)
Date of Application : 12/05/05
Receipt Date : 12/07/05
FP Notice recvd : 01/13/06
FP Date : 02/02/06
Interview Letter : 03/04/06
Interview Date : 04/11/06 :)
Oath Date : May 12 - 12.30 pm New Haven :)
etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hartford N-400 Timeline

I learnt a lot from reading these threads over the past few months and hence, here's my contribution.

Just got done with my interview this morning at the Hartford DO. Interview went very well, and got my oath letter at the end. Timeline below:

Application Received: August 29, 2005
Notice Date: September 12, 2005
Fingerprint Notice Date: September 15, 2005
Fingerprint Date: September 29, 2005
Interview Notice Date: January 20, 2006
Interview Date: February 7, 2006
Oath Ceremony Scheduled: February 17, 2006

Interview Experience:

Very straight forward. Officer went through my application, updated my phone number and asked to see my GC, Passport, evidence of Selective Service and W-2 form from last year.

I was asked to write a simple sentence "I bought a blue car this morning" and was asked to read "I drove a blue car this morning". Then, we proceeded to the interview, where the officer just asked 6 questions from the standard 100 questions list and that was it! Signed the N-400 under the oath section (all the way at the end) and voila, he handed me the oath ceremony letter.

Will update once the oath ceremony is completed and share that experience.

need info

The reason I am posting on this thread is... I also live in CT.
I will be eligible to apply for citizenship soon.

Did you guys hire a lawyer to apply or you are doing this yourself?

If any of you hiring a lawyer, please let me know the lawyer's contact info and how much they charge (if you can tell me).

If you are applying by yourself, please let me know how easy or tough it is.

Also, if you please throw some light on Status information letter from Selective Service System (sss.gov), I would really appreciate it.

I got my green card at the age of 31.

My info...

Received my GC approval letter on 03/12/2002.

When can I send my citizenship application? Can I apply 90 days before 03/12/2007?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Kudi Magan. :)

Did you guys hire a lawyer to apply or you are doing this yourself?

- I had an attorney

If any of you hiring a lawyer, please let me know the lawyer's contact info and how much they charge (if you can tell me).

- Law offices of Hamza Ma'ayergi. $ depends on your particular case.

If you are applying by yourself, please let me know how easy or tough it is.

- Did not apply alone. Suggest you have a lawyer, b/c it's less stress

Also, if you please throw some light on Status information letter from Selective Service System (sss.gov), I would really appreciate it.

- Ideally, you should be registered with SSS. At the interview, I was asked to show proof that I was registered. I showed them my registration card.

I got my green card at the age of 31.

My info...

Received my GC approval letter on 03/12/2002.

When can I send my citizenship application? Can I apply 90 days before 03/12/2007?

- You can send it in after 5 yrs of continous stay, and at least, 50% of that time spent in America.

Oath Ceremony & US Passport

The Oath Ceremony was very uneventful. There are 3 places in CT where they administer the oath - Hartford, New Haven & Bridgeport. Mine was at Bridgeport District Court. Suggestion is to take the day off from work, arrive a little early and bring all the appropriate documents --- there is a cursory check of the form they give you with the oath letter/at the interview and then, the waiting game begins. All in all, pretty uneventful and anti-climatic.

I applied for my passport in Stamford the day after (Feb 18th). And, I received it in the mail today (Mar 2). Suggest that you pay the extra for express mail (~$30), b/c that way, you take care of the stress.

Good uck everyone. Be patient and we'll all get there.

Received an Interview Letter

My Details:

PD: 12/23/05
FP: 01/24/06
Interview letter:03/05/06
Interview Date : 04/20/06

That's very fast!

My timeline - Hartford DO

PD -1/17/06
FP - 2/15/06
Interview letter rcvd - 3/25/06
Interview scheduled 5/8/06

Where can i prepare for the interview? Does anyone have the link for the 100 questions to prepare for the interview?

Thanks all in advance!

When can I send the N400 ?

Hello,
I read elsewhere on this site that we can send the N400 90 before completion of the 5 years. Did any of you file it 90 days ahead of your 5 year completion.
The reason I am asking this is that I am almost 100 days away from my 5 year completion and I could send it in next 10 days. however with all the good experiences that you all have been having I don't want my case to be too different.
Any help will be appreciated

thanks
deep

sawankaandha said:
Hello,
I read elsewhere on this site that we can send the N400 90 before completion of the 5 years. Did any of you file it 90 days ahead of your 5 year completion.
The reason I am asking this is that I am almost 100 days away from my 5 year completion and I could send it in next 10 days. however with all the good experiences that you all have been having I don't want my case to be too different.
Any help will be appreciated

thanks
deep

Yes you can mail you N-400 90 days before the 5 years anniversary.

Interview Process - Hartford

Below is my wifes' and my interview process (very unusual) - I will try to post as much as I remember.

1. Me and my wife Reached Federal Building at 8.20 AM.
2. Parked the car opposite the building for $8.00
3. Gave the Appointment letter(s) to the Receptionist and took a seat.
4. Within a minute my wifes name was called at 8.25 AM.
5. She went alone with all the documents (5 yr tax returns, marriage certificate, birth certificate from muncipal corporation)
6. The Officer asked her standard questions from the list.
8. Asked her if she paid taxes and to submit the marriage certificate.
9. Asked her for old passport. So take ur old passport if ur passport was renewed.
10. She came out in 20 minutes and she was done.

On the other hand my interview was very different and unique. I have all clean life history. Absolutely no issues not even a single driving ticket.

1. They called me in at 9.00 AM (after 30 minutes) my appointment was for 8.30 AM.
2. The lady officer took me to a large room may be she was chief officer.
3. She asked me to swear that I will tell the truth nothing but the truth.
4. Asked for Passports (old and new), Green Card and Social Security number.
5. Verified each and every line item on N-400 I filled.
6. She asked me where I applied for Social security card and when (date) i applied.
7. Where did I goto schoool for my masters program and why I transferred from Indiana Univ to Univ of Texas. While she was asking questions she was verifying my entire file (she physically had my life history with her on her desk)She was confirming my answers with the papers in the file.
8. Asked did I travel after I applied for Citizenship and which I did and she took the new dates and noted it down.
9. Asked me when I got my green card and which firm sponsored it and why I left the firm and join another firm.
10. What date I joined the new firm.
11. What is my current designation.
12. Why did I go to india last year and how many times I travelled to india via UAE and she was very very pecky on UAE (I guess she wanted to make sure....).
13. Asked me when I got married and how I met my wife .
14. Checked my marriage certificate on file with what I had with me and the one my wife submitted few minutes earlier with other officer. She asked me did I ever owe money to US govt, did I file taxes for 2001 to 2005. I said I did not file 2005 yet. She asked me why I did not file. I said I was making sure the information I am giving to IRS is correct. She asked me if I was getting refund (both state and federal).
15. Asked for my Home, Cell and Work phone numbers.
16. Asked me list of 6 questions from the standard list.
17. Asked me to write down a statement.
18. Asked me did I travel to Mexico, Canada. I said not yet but will be next few weeks. She noted it down.
19. Finally she said "I Guess you and your wife would like to have an appointment for oath on the same day is that right" and I said yes.
She said the earliest I have is May 12th and that is it nothing earlier than that.
20 She said you are all set handed me the oath appointment letter and that is it. I took the chance and headed out without looking back. Phew.....

The entire thing lasted 45 minutes or so. I am not sure what prompted her to question me left and right. In my opinion everyones case is different so take all the necessary documents and be ready to answer all the questions they ask and concur with the data they have on the file. Hope this helps.

Good luck to all of you.

anu_jay

Is it possible to have Oath taking on Interview day

Anu_jay,

Since you finished the interview recently, did you check whether Oath taking on same day is possible at Hartford?

Also you mention about going to India after submitting N400, I am also planning to do that. How long you were away?

I will be joining India firm (I will be working for US multi national but will be on Indian pay roll). I will be away for 3-4 months when I have my Interview. Did you go to India for shorter duration? Do you think out of country for 3 months can cause problems?

Thank you

johnpa2005 said:
Anu_jay,

Since you finished the interview recently, did you check whether Oath taking on same day is possible at Hartford?

Yes we did ask for Hartford and it is 2 months waitlisted.

Also you mention about going to India after submitting N400, I am also planning to do that. How long you were away?

I was away for 3 weeks.

I will be joining India firm (I will be working for US multi national but will be on Indian pay roll). I will be away for 3-4 months when I have my Interview. Did you go to India for shorter duration? Do you think out of country for 3 months can cause problems?

In my opinion working in India on Indian pay roll will be an issue as u will not be paying us taxes which legally MAY be a violation of residential status. This will raise an eyebrow.Again its my opinion. I did travel to india for biz trips 6 times last year but for shorter durations.

Thank you

Location for Oath

Anu_jay,

Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to ask you this last time, Is it the case that May 12th is the latest you can get? Also does it needs to be in CT or wherever there is a slot, you can go and do Oath taking.

Thank you
JP

anu_jay said:
I said I did not file 2005 yet. She asked me why I did not file. I said I was making sure the information I am giving to IRS is correct. anu_jay

1. First CONGRATULATION for the Oath schedule :)

2. Second, congratulation for your good memory, your post is impressive considering all the details.

3. To the question about 2005 income tax...should have answer to her: "because is only April 11, and the fu#$@ng deadline is April 17 midnight"
:rolleyes: :D

Interview Cleared - Traffic tickets do not count!!!

I had my interview at the Hartford DO this morning. The appointment was at 8:00AM. we arrived at 7:30 AM. I was called in at around 8:05AM. The whole process was very smooth and the officials were very nice. I was asked the questions from the application, and typical history / civics questions. I was out in barely 15 minutes. Same story with my wife.

One point that I wanted to note though: I had answered NO on the citation related questions on the N400. When the officer asked me if I ever was arrested / detained etc., I asked the officer if I should have said yes for the traffic tickets, because my lawyer advised me that the traffic tickets are not to be considered unless they were DUI. The officer mentioned, the lawyer provided right information and the normal traffic tickets DO NOT COUNT. (My wife had an interview with other officer who too expressed the same opinion that the traffic tickets do not count). I just wanted every anxious applicant to know that I have seen too much propoganda on this board about the traffic tickets and far too much importance is being given to it. If you asked me, I would answer NO to such questions and reveal during the interview that you had traffic tickets which were paid (if you did so). In my case, I have one pending ticket, which I am going to fight next month. I had told that to the officer but he did not show any interest.

My Oath is scheduled to be on May 26th at Bridgeport. The next available date was at Hartford on June 2nd.

I thank every contributor of this board for their valuable information. I urge everyone to take cues from the postings and use one's judgement. I would not blindly trust someone who implies that he / she knows it all about the immigration.

My Timeline:

RD:12/23/05
FP: 01/24/06
Interview Notice received: 03/05/06
Interview Date: 04/20/06
Oath: 05/26/06

Response

johnpa2005 said:
Anu_jay,

Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to ask you this last time, Is it the case that May 12th is the latest you can get? Also does it needs to be in CT or wherever there is a slot, you can go and do Oath taking.

Thank you
JP

I am not sure about the answer -- In my opinion you have to take in the local area as you are resident.

Suzy977 said:
1. First CONGRATULATION for the Oath schedule :)

2. Second, congratulation for your good memory, your post is impressive considering all the details.

3. To the question about 2005 income tax...should have answer to her: "because is only April 11, and the fu#$@ng deadline is April 17 midnight"
:rolleyes: :D

For your third point I wanted to be polite and politically correct.