N400 - Tax return extension

thewebman2002

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

For 2008, I have filed an extension and will be filing the actual tax return soon. Should I wait till I file the return before submitting N400 [as I am eligible based on the 90 days rule]? Or can I go ahead and submit N400?

And, do we need to take the IRS transcripts to the interview or will my copies of Tax returns [for the past 5 years] suffice? As I might not have an IRS transcript for the 2008 return if I am filing it now.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi All,

For 2008, I have filed an extension and will be filing the actual tax return soon. Should I wait till I file the return before submitting N400 [as I am eligible based on the 90 days rule]? Or can I go ahead and submit N400?

And, do we need to take the IRS transcripts to the interview or will my copies of Tax returns [for the past 5 years] suffice? As I might not have an IRS transcript for the 2008 return if I am filing it now.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

My personal experience - my IO asked to see 2008 tax transcripts and I had to go for second interview for that. So you may be better off waiting until you file and get transcripts. Although, looking back, in my case, I did get IRS tax due letter (where IRS thinks I owe them more than what I already paid in return) once in the last 3 years and USCIS may have such information on hand to ask appropriate questions.

Thanks absrao.

A follow-up question - how long does it normally take to get a transcript for a tax return?

So, if I file now, can I get a transcript in a month, 2 months, 3 months... etc?

Again - thanks!

Mike.

Hi TWM,

That would depend on how busy the IRS is. Once they have processed your return it only takes about a week to get the transcripts back. I ordered mine by phone on a Wednesday and they were in my mailbox the following Tuesday.

You could submit the return and then keep ordering the 2008 transcript every two weeks until it shows the return on it instead of the extension. They cost nothing.

Paying and filing taxes is a requirement for obtaining citizenship (unless you made too little money to be required to pay or file).

I know that.But when applly N-400, need attach tax return? Or just bring them when interview?

thanks,

I know that.But when applly N-400, need attach tax return? Or just bring them when interview?

thanks,

Tax returns and transcrpies are mostly for review as evidences of
good faith marriages. If your case is based upon 5 years of GC
and you do not answer Yes to tax related questions on N400,
don't worry too much about this issue.