N400 selective services problem

AlmostThereDude

I have my interview in 10 days. I'm kinda nervous because I received my Green card 4 days after I turned 26 but the green card has the 'resident since' date of 2 days prior to my 26th b'day. I'm not sure what to answer if I'm asked why I did not register for selective services as I did not feel the need since I was already 26 when I received the Green card.

Should I be nervous?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can explain your situation to them.

Prior to receiving your green card, how long you were in the country? If you just came here and were not familiar with the laws, then you can make a strong case. You said you received green card 4 days after your birthday, show them the mail letter if you have it.

AlmostThereDude said:
I have my interview in 10 days. I'm kinda nervous because I received my Green card 4 days after I turned 26 but the green card has the 'resident since' date of 2 days prior to my 26th b'day. I'm not sure what to answer if I'm asked why I did not register for selective services as I did not feel the need since I was already 26 when I received the Green card.

Should I be nervous?

could you give us more details ? where were you while in the process of getting the green card ? inside the US ? if so, on what visa ?
did u get the green card at point of entry ? if so, what is the stamp date on your passport ?

PacMan72 said:
could you give us more details ? where were you while in the process of getting the green card ? inside the US ? if so, on what visa ?
did u get the green card at point of entry ? if so, what is the stamp date on your passport ?

I was on f-1. I graduated and was on a 1 year work permit that is given after graduation when I got married to a US citizen. I applied for the green card right after.

My question to everyone is, under what status is one obligated to register for selective services? I wasn't technically a permanent resident when I turned 26. But then again, I wasn't an F-1 either. I was somewhere in between. Does that count?

AlmostThereDude said:
My question to everyone is, under what status is one obligated to register for selective services? I wasn't technically a permanent resident when I turned 26. But then again, I wasn't an F-1 either. I was somewhere in between. Does that count?

JoeF ... oh no ! You have to wait for Naturalizer123 and Suzy Something.

AlmostThereDude said:

In my opinion, you have been technically required to register with them but what an adjudication officer would make out of that, I am not sure. However, since you did not know on your 26th birthday that you are a permanent resident you have a reasonable case to argue that you did not do anything wrong. Since your interview will already be in 10 days, you may request a written confirmation from the Selective Services, but may not have their reply in time. After all, you'll be fine, I think.

Alex

AlmostThereDude said:
I was on f-1. I graduated and was on a 1 year work permit that is given after graduation when I got married to a US citizen. I applied for the green card right after.

sss.gov "Once you reach age 26, it's too late to register. Even though you may not be prosecuted, you will be denied student financial assistance, Federal job training, and most Federal employment unless you can provide convincing evidence to the agency providing the benefit you are seeking, that your failure to register was not knowing and willful."

That's you !

So, I think, when you know this, your answer 'NO' to if you were required is correct. Still, it would be handy to have a letter from them.

Alex

AlexanderG said:
sss.gov "Once you reach age 26, it's too late to register. Even though you may not be prosecuted, you will be denied student financial assistance, Federal job training, and most Federal employment unless you can provide convincing evidence to the agency providing the benefit you are seeking, that your failure to register was not knowing and willful."

That's you !

So, I think, when you know this, your answer 'NO' to if you were required is correct. Still, it would be handy to have a letter from them.

Alex

On the contrary you should answer yes to the question. Because that was a fact. You can explain your oversight with IO. But you still need to put yes instead of lying.

naturalizer123 said:
Is Suzy banned? I have not seen him for a while.

No, and judging by the quality of Suzy's posts and yours...you have a much better chance
to be banned ;)

AlexanderG said:
JoeF ... oh no ! You have to wait for Naturalizer123 and Suzy Something.

How long do you need, AlexanderG, to get back to the real purpose of this forum forgetting your little personal affairs?

I don't ask "naturalizer123" the same question because he never did anything but mocking people, his contribution to this immigration forum is ZERO.

AlmostThereDude said:

Should I be nervous?

AlmostThereDude,
you are only required to register for SS if before age 26 you were either a) a permanent resident or b) an illegal alien. Your status in F1 and as a spouse of a US citizen does not meet that criteria so you did not have to register under those statuses. Technically you did become a LPR before your 26th b'day (just 2 days before) and you would be required to register at that point but since you did not know of your status until 4 days after your b'day I can't imagine any IO holding that against you. Of course, do explain the situation (I'm not suggesting that you hide it) but I wouldn't worry about denial.

Sam

sam_c said:
AlmostThereDude,
you are only required to register for SS if before age 26 you were either a) a permanent resident or b) an illegal alien. Your status in F1 and as a spouse of a US citizen does not meet that criteria so you did not have to register under those statuses. Technically you did become a LPR before your 26th b'day (just 2 days before) and you would be required to register at that point but since you did not know of your status until 4 days after your b'day I can't imagine any IO holding that against you. Of course, do explain the situation (I'm not suggesting that you hide it) but I wouldn't worry about denial.

Sam

Thanks for the suggestion. This really helps!!

PG2006 said:
No, and judging by the quality of Suzy's posts and yours...you have a much better chance
to be banned ;)

How long do you need, AlexanderG, to get back to the real purpose of this forum forgetting your little personal affairs?

I don't ask "naturalizer123" the same question because he never did anything but mocking people, his contribution to this immigration forum is ZERO.

Contribute zero is better than contribute wrong information and give wrong advice, as AlexanderG repeatedly does.

AlmostThereDude said:
Thanks for the suggestion. This really helps!!

What suggestion? He has not given any! Your original question is is it "yes" or "NO" for selective service question. He did not tell you the answer. Isn"t it frustrating when people don't answer the question when posting a lot of suggestions?

naturalizer123 said:
What suggestion? He has not given any! Your original question is is it "yes" or "NO" for selective service question. He did not tell you the answer. Isn"t it frustrating when people don't answer the question when posting a lot of suggestions?

I'm sorry you can't read English properly. The OP asked in his original posting:
AlmostThereDude said:
I'm not sure what to answer if I'm asked why I did not register for selective services

Where's the "Yes" or "No" question? He wanted guidance on how to deal with his situation and I gave him my opinion. I am happy that he was satisfied with my response. Judging by how you attack people without reason I agree with PG2006 that you're on the fast track to getting banned.

Sam