N400 photo question

chola

Registered Users (C)
Still working on the N400 application package and have a photo question.

I was trying to write the full name & A# on the back side with pencil - and boy it takes several passes over each letter even before it was legible (paper gloss). I am sure I did not put a lot of weight on the pencil/paper.

However, when done, I can hold the pic against light and can see a clear impression of the info on the front side.

Is this ok? or do i get another set of pics taken?

chola

I don't think it should be a problem as long as you did not make the impression in the facial area. For peace of mind you could get another set taken, I always have an extra set just in case. If you just pass a clean eraser over the back of the photo before you write your A# it will make it easier for you to write on it.

If it's easily visible from the picture side I recommend that you get another set and this time use an eraser and erase the glossy surface before writing on it. That is how I was able to get mine to work.

Passport Photos

You can save yourself a lot of money if you do your photos yourself. If you have a digital camera and the right software. I spend $10 and bought this software. http://www.onthegosoft.com/passport_photo.htm Now I just send the pictures to Walmart and print 6 photos for 0.15. I did 6 sets (of 6 photos each) for my N400 interview. The total cost was less than $1 and I like them better than any passport photo I paid to get done.

Good news! The N400 instructions say a felt pen can be used. (Official Instructions for N400, page 5.)

I tried using the felt pen on the back of my photo and even though there was no impression, I could see my writing from the front side of the photo. Is that OK?

I don't think it should be a problem as long as you did not make the impression in the facial area. For peace of mind you could get another set taken, I always have an extra set just in case. If you just pass a clean eraser over the back of the photo before you write your A# it will make it easier for you to write on it.

I wish I knew about the eraser trick when I did mine, like Chola, it took me a while to sign my name to make it visible:rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly... I wish I knew the eraser trick. I too had hard time writing on the back using pensil. Then I bought a felt pen (Yellow marker) but the tip was so wide that I couldn't fit my entire name on one line. Also, because of glossy finish, I was worried it can get wiped out.

The sharper the pencil tip is, the harder imprint it makes. I used a regular pensil (not plastic ones with ready made tips) with rounded, well-used tip, and the result was better than my previous attempts.

I couldn't get a regular pencil to work, even with eraser trick. So I used a graphite/carbon pencil 4B type, worked great and didn't rub off. Worth trying if you already have one around :D