N400, part 7 question

dougalted

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,
On the N400 form, part 7 asks abour trips outside USA. Following is the exact text. Since I am planning to apply 90 days (may be 85 days just to be safe) before 5 year of my permanent residency, am I supposed to list all trips for the last 4 year and 9 months only or last 5 years? It is the option B that is confusing me.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards,

---------------------- text from N400 ----------------------
A. How many total days did you spend outside of the United States during the past 5 years?

B. List below all the trips of 24 hours or more that you have taken outside of the United States since becoming a Lawful Permanent Resident. Begin with your most recent trip. If you need more space, use a separate sheet of paper.

C. How many trips of 24 hours or more have you taken outside of the United States during the past 5 years?

Last 4 years and 9 months from RIGHT NOW.

It should be last 5 years, but since you are applying 90 days earlier (NOW), then its last 4 yrs and 9 months.

To make it easier for yourself, count 5 years back from the day you BECOME ELIGIBLE to apply for USC (ie green card date + 5 years). Include all trips taken in those 5 years.

I have a question in regards N400 Part 7, I usually visit my family that lives in Juarez (border town from El Paso Tx) and I want to know if this trips that I have made there will count as part of not being in the country. I was only 3 or 4 days in Juarez. Please advice. Thank you.

The wording asks for all exits since obtaining the green card. In my case that is since 1981!

Hopefully you've kept documents and your passports over the last 30 years :)

If you don't have the exact dates, approximate are OK.
They want to see all the trips listed but the ones in the last 5 years need to be accurate to the date.

A. How many total days did you spend outside of the United States during the past 5 years?
If you became a permanent resident less than 5 years ago, only count the days outside the US since becoming a permanent resident.

B. List below all the trips of 24 hours or more that you have taken outside of the United States since becoming a Lawful Permanent Resident. Begin with your most recent trip. If you need more space, use a separate sheet of paper.
List all the 24+ hour trips since becoming a permanent resident, regardless of how long ago you became a PR.

C. How many trips of 24 hours or more have you taken outside of the United States during the past 5 years?
Like with part A, don't count anything before your GC approval date if it was approved less than 5 years ago.

Hopefully you've kept documents and your passports over the last 30 years :)

If you don't have the exact dates, approximate are OK.
They want to see all the trips listed but the ones in the last 5 years need to be accurate to the date.
Approximate dates are fine for the past 5 years, as long as you're not close to breaking the physical presence or continuous residence requirements.