N400 application

Mark69

I am a bit confused about when one can apply for citizenship. I became a permanent resident on July 11, 1997 and filed for Citizenship with a priority date on April 11, 2002. I received an appointment and had my FP done. My questions are:
1. Did I apply within the grace period? I thought I was fine until I read the experiences of some board members here
2. If INS proceeds with the processing and schedules an interview, does it mean that this issue is not a problem anymore or do they wait until the interview date and then say, "Now you have to go back to the end of the line and go through this process all over again!"

Thanks

Some INS pages say that we can apply 3 months prior to
becoming eligible and some say 90 days . I had
recently seen a post where applicant was rejected
at the time of interview because he applied 3 months
and not 90 days prior to becoming eligible . BTW all
the screening is done at the time of interview

some problem

I think Mark69 has some problems. I read an INS internal memo (dated 1997) addressing this question. This letter is posted on this web and i forget who posted the link. I think officer most likely will give you an N-14 notice and schedule an interview for a later date. however, it depends on this very officer and you need to count on your luck.

btw, if i mail my n400 on 7/1/02, INS will receive it around 7/5/02. They will open it on 7/10/02. Which date is my priority date?