N400 and change of name

LKCitizen

Registered Users (C)
Hello all,

I am planning to change my last name. The N400 allows you to do that optionally.

I was looking for any advise as to whether this will delay the process. I am based in Virginia.

Thanks in advance,
LKCitizen

I changed my first name (typo) and my wife's last name. I changed it in N-400. It took me one year from applying to oath. I live in New York and the normal time taken for N-400 to oath is one year. So I don't think changing in your name will delay your application. I would advise you change it in N-400. When I took oath, they also gave me a court authorized name change letter.

LKCitizen said:
Thanks yahoo_2005. I have not sent out the form yet. Your reply came just in time.
If you plan to change the name anyway - do it while filing your N-400. Your interview will be at the same time regardless of your intent to change your name, and you can change your mind at the time of the interview.

Some people reported that that had their oath the same day as the interview. I do not believe that would be possible if you are changing your name.

Thanks amishah, GeneM and Yahoo_2005. Appreciate the assistance.

Just a couple of further questions - I am assuming that I do not need to do anything additional in the N400 process to get the court authorized name change letter. What are the next steps after that? Can we use the letter to change the name for the new passport, SSA Admin and Credit Card companies?

Thanks again,
LKCitizen

LKCitizen said:

Just a couple of further questions - I am assuming that I do not need to do anything additional in the N400 process to get the court authorized name change letter. What are the next steps after that? Can we use the letter to change the name for the new passport, SSA Admin and Credit Card companies?

Thanks again,
LKCitizen

Absolutely yes - with SSA,banks, driver license etc. Not sure what you mean "with the new passport". You probably meant for the "US passport" since you never had one. If that is the case, you do not need the name change document since you will have to submit your naturalization certificate with your new name.

LKCitizen said:

Thanks again,
LKCitizen
If you are changing it on marriage base, you can just go with your marriage cert. and change it otherwise you need a court letter.

Thanks for the great info, Johnny Cash!

I am shortening my last name, so it is not a change due to marriage. I will be having the interview in the main INS office in Merrifield, VA. From what I have heard oaths are done on a different day there. So this works for me and I don't have the hassle of doing the name change on my own.

Thanks,
LKCitizen

Last name change based on Marriage and Citizenship

If you are changing it on marriage base, you can just go with your marriage cert. and change it otherwise you need a court letter.

hi,

i am planning to apply to citizenship. Currently i have my maiden name on my GC and would like to take on my Husband's last name. Can i do this during the N-400 filing, as i see an option to change my last name there?

i have seen people mention that the last name change based on marriage can be done using the marriage certificate as well? does this mean that i file N-400 with my maiden name, and then use my Marriage ceritificate to chnage my last name for SSN,passport , driver license etc???

Any help is highly appreciated.

AD

You don't need a formal name change process. Just fill out the N-400 with your maiden name, then show your marriage certificate to the interviewer and tell them you want the naturalization certificate to have your husband's last name. After the oath, you can use the natz. certificate + marriage certificate to get your driver's license, US passport, updated SS card, etc. with your new last name.