N270 related questions

mevora

Hello.
I received my GC last year and haven't spent significant time inside US. I should only be able to spend 5 months in the first 12 months with no absence more than 6 months. I recently have been offered a really good position at USAID outside US which I am interested in taking & AFAIK it can be counted towards my physical requirement however since I've not spent continuous 12 months in US so that may not work. Here are the questions

- Is there a way for me to skip the 12 months requirement in the beginning so i can join the job immediately & that should count towards physical presence

- I also understand that I need to apply for re-entry permit once I come back to US, but my current citizenship allows me visa free entry into US so would I still need it ?

- Imagine I live in US for continuously 12 months & then join the job & work with them for 1.5 years. so that should satisfy my physical requirement. If I switch to a job with a US employer outside US, I should be able to claim my continuos requirement and can apply for naturalisation after 5 years of getting GC.
Please confirm me if this is correct

Hello.
I received my GC last year and haven't spent significant time inside US. I should only be able to spend 5 months in the first 12 months with no absence more than 6 months. I recently have been offered a really good position at USAID outside US which I am interested in taking & AFAIK it can be counted towards my physical requirement however since I've not spent continuous 12 months in US so that may not work. Here are the questions

- Is there a way for me to skip the 12 months requirement in the beginning so i can join the job immediately & that should count towards physical presence

- I also understand that I need to apply for re-entry permit once I come back to US, but my current citizenship allows me visa free entry into US so would I still need it ?

- Imagine I live in US for continuously 12 months & then join the job & work with them for 1.5 years. so that should satisfy my physical requirement. If I switch to a job with a US employer outside US, I should be able to claim my continuos requirement and can apply for naturalisation after 5 years of getting GC.
Please confirm me if this is correct

“Visa free entry” on your current citizenship is entering as a visitor, not a green card holder. Yes you need a re-entry permit if your interest is in maintaining your green card rather than just being able to enter the US. Remember your first two REPs are maximum 2 years each, then for one year, so on your plan of staying outside the US for years you’d need another one at least. Maximum time of REP is 5 years.

You don’t get to fulfil the requirement through any US employer overseas. I am not sure if USAID is a qualifying one, you will need to check that, as you would with any other US employer outside the US.

I do think you need to re-read the USCIS manual on physical presence and continuous residence.

It’s not entirely clear why you want a green card with no foreseeablee plans to actually reside in the US? More trouble than its worth, maybe?

Last edited:
I'd say better off renouncing the green card and travel to visit the US visa free if you haven't spent much time in the US since the green card.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. Either take that job overseas on the green card with an REP and forget about physical presence. Or forego that job and seek a job in the US to maintain physical presence.

“Visa free entry” on your current citizenship is entering as a visitor, not a green card holder. Yes you need a re-entry permit if your interest is in maintaining your green card rather than just being able to enter the US. Remember your first two REPs are maximum 2 years each, then for one year, so on your plan of staying outside the US for years you’d need another one at least. Maximum time of REP is 5 years.

You don’t get to fulfil the requirement through any US employer overseas. I am not sure if USAID is a qualifying one, you will need to check that, as you would with any other US employer outside the US.

I do think you need to re-read the USCIS manual on physical presence and continuous residence.

It’s not entirely clear why you want a green card with no foreseeablee plans to actually reside in the US? More trouble than its worth, maybe?

Make sense on the visa free entry. For USAID, I think they do qualify for credits towards Physical residence since it's a US government program. I I am unable to post the link here due to some forum restriction but searching for N470 brings up with the form

I already have the green card but I may have to spend few years outside due to this assignment or let it go of it

Last edited: