N E E D Help.... 2nd Finger Printing Notice

gauravsharma

Registered Users (C)
This is my first post on this message board and I’m looking forward for you all guru's to help me. Here is my situation:

CASE Background:
----------------------

(1) Worked for company X (Fortune 500), who sponsored my GC application under EB-2 category (I was still on an H1-B which was also sponsored by the same company). My I-485 application was filed with Vermont Service Center with RD=Feb 27, 2002, ND=Mar 22, 2002, FP1= May 17, 2002.

This company is based in NJ but i was working in their Florida (Tampa) office.

(2) Got laid off, Last working day 15th Nov. 2002 (I-485 pending more than 180 days). Since the company lawyer (Fragomen Del Ray) was working for this company X, he suggested me to find another *similar category job* soon so that i can continue with the pending I-485 application. Also, he suggested that he will not be able to handle any further queries (even though he had been paid in full by my company X), so I needed to either get my file transferred to another lawyer of his firm ( pay extra $$$$ , > 1000) or else hire a new outside attorney and he could mail me the file directly.

(3) In-between i used my EAD to get a small contract (3-months) in CA. Never changed the address from Tampa (wife was still there). Then in month of March 2003, i got a long-term contract with another company Y. I decided to move out of FL to VA (remaining in the same service center of Vermont). The Job Description is exactly the same with more money as described in the Labor.

I had also renewed my old EAD (same old address of FL) but did not do it for wife since she was in India that time (using Advance Parole).

(4) I filed AR-11 with INS at their KY address. NEVER CALLED BCIS TO CHECK IF THEY UPDATED IT OR NOT !!!!

When my wife came back from India, We applied for her EAD renewal with the new address (Virginia). She got her EAD and started with a job.

ISSUES:
---------

(1) Today my old lawyer company (Fragomen Del ray) called & mailed me that they have received my 2nd Finger Printing notice scheduled for September 9th in Tampa FLORIDA.

(2) I called my old attorney (he still has my old file with him), he scared me to death saying that there are a lot of things that need to be done (my case is now quite complicated and a lot of followup needs to be done with INS, local INS center etc) for which I would need an attorney, preferably from Fragomen Del Ray and my case would take very long. The fees that he quoted would be $2500 (approx). I'm not sure whatz going on here???? No clue....

My Questions:
-----------------

(1)What should i do? Should i call BCIS and update my address with them and tell them to send me new finger printing notice at my new address with a local finger printing location or should i go to Tampa to get my finger printing done. Gurus Help. What kind of time delay am I looking for?? Any Idea ?

(2) Going forward what should i do, find a new attorney?

Any recommendation for VA attorney who can handle my case for less money. What do u think should be a attorney fee for such a case. I believe its not that complicated.

I appreciate your time & effort to read through all this and all your inputs will be very valuable for me to make a decision going forward.

gauravsharma

I am 'kind of' in the same boat. I also moved recently and sent AR11 form to BCIS. However, I am with the same company. I got the fingerprint notices sent to my old address, but were forwarded by post office to the new address. My lawyer also sent me the copies of FP notices.

If you have a copy of your FP notice, then you can give finger print in any of the BCIS service locations. You don't have to goto Florida to give them.

Best thing would be, ask your lawyer to send the FP notice (if you don't get the forwarded mail) and give the FP in BCIS service location near your current residence. Do not panic. You need the lawyer only when you get an RFE. Till then, give the 2nd FP and sit cool.

Good luck

Thanks for your immediate reply Bob.

I called the old attorney again and told them to send the FP notice to my new address. So can I go to any of the BCIS locations?

(1) Do i need to take any kind of appointment or just walk in any day any time. The closest FP location to my address is located at:

ALEXANDRIA ASC
8850 Richmond Highway
Alexandria, VA 22309-1586

(2) Does anyone have any prior experience at this location. What would i need to say when i get in there (since my notice would say about the Florida location with a specific date)

(3) What about calling BCIS and updating the new address. Should i not call them ?

(4) I just bought a house and would be moving in Sept. end, so there is another address change ? Should i call BCIS then ??

What do you recommend?

Thanks for your help.

You are such a Miser. You thought you are going to get approved without even not keeping in touch with the lawyer. From your mail it appears that you are not in touch with your lawyer from 15th November, 2002. He could refuse to give you FP notice. You could either rehire him ro get a new one. However, if you haggle with him you could get away with FP notice by not paying him.

None of these are difficult. The main question is whether your old I-140 is still intact or get cancelled. If later is true you definitely need a good lawyer. It appears that the old lawyer could influence the old employer to revoke the old I-140.
Good Luck.

Originally posted by gauravsharma
This is my first post on this message board and I’m looking forward for you all guru's to help me. Here is my situation:

CASE Background:
----------------------

(1) Worked for company X (Fortune 500), who sponsored my GC application under EB-2 category (I was still on an H1-B which was also sponsored by the same company). My I-485 application was filed with Vermont Service Center with RD=Feb 27, 2002, ND=Mar 22, 2002, FP1= May 17, 2002.

This company is based in NJ but i was working in their Florida (Tampa) office.

(2) Got laid off, Last working day 15th Nov. 2002 (I-485 pending more than 180 days). Since the company lawyer (Fragomen Del Ray) was working for this company X, he suggested me to find another *similar category job* soon so that i can continue with the pending I-485 application. Also, he suggested that he will not be able to handle any further queries (even though he had been paid in full by my company X), so I needed to either get my file transferred to another lawyer of his firm ( pay extra $$$$ , > 1000) or else hire a new outside attorney and he could mail me the file directly.

(3) In-between i used my EAD to get a small contract (3-months) in CA. Never changed the address from Tampa (wife was still there). Then in month of March 2003, i got a long-term contract with another company Y. I decided to move out of FL to VA (remaining in the same service center of Vermont). The Job Description is exactly the same with more money as described in the Labor.

I had also renewed my old EAD (same old address of FL) but did not do it for wife since she was in India that time (using Advance Parole).

(4) I filed AR-11 with INS at their KY address. NEVER CALLED BCIS TO CHECK IF THEY UPDATED IT OR NOT !!!!

When my wife came back from India, We applied for her EAD renewal with the new address (Virginia). She got her EAD and started with a job.

ISSUES:
---------

(1) Today my old lawyer company (Fragomen Del ray) called & mailed me that they have received my 2nd Finger Printing notice scheduled for September 9th in Tampa FLORIDA.

(2) I called my old attorney (he still has my old file with him), he scared me to death saying that there are a lot of things that need to be done (my case is now quite complicated and a lot of followup needs to be done with INS, local INS center etc) for which I would need an attorney, preferably from Fragomen Del Ray and my case would take very long. The fees that he quoted would be $2500 (approx). I'm not sure whatz going on here???? No clue....

My Questions:
-----------------

(1)What should i do? Should i call BCIS and update my address with them and tell them to send me new finger printing notice at my new address with a local finger printing location or should i go to Tampa to get my finger printing done. Gurus Help. What kind of time delay am I looking for?? Any Idea ?

(2) Going forward what should i do, find a new attorney?

Any recommendation for VA attorney who can handle my case for less money. What do u think should be a attorney fee for such a case. I believe its not that complicated.

I appreciate your time & effort to read through all this and all your inputs will be very valuable for me to make a decision going forward.

Gaurav,

You should call up BCIS and update your address asap. If you remember when you filed AR-11, that might help. Ask BCIS if you need a new FP notice or use the old one.

After this is done, you may want to go to the Alexandria office and explain that you got the FP notice forwarded to you. You can show them your 485 receipt, driver's license and see if they let you fingerprint.

Even though a specific date is mentioned in the FP notice, people have gone earlier and got it done. Sooner the better.

Good Luck!

Big Blue woes my friend!!!! Correct !!!!
Contact Rajiv!!! He has a office in VA.
-sai

Last edited by a moderator:
My Advise

1. This is a minor issue. You can solve this very easily
2. Immediately file AR-11 for yourself.
3. If your Lawyer sends you the FP notice, then simply goto the nearest local bcis office and ask for FP done. If they refuse, then goto Florida and do it.
4. If your refuses to send FP notice, ask him why he is not sending. If he still refuses to co-operate, call bcis and ask them to send the FP papers to your new address. Tell them that you have moved to VA very recently
5. No need for any Lawyer, just for this FP issue.

I wish you have the best of luck in your case especially when you go to Alexandria office for FP. There is a nasty lady sitting at the front desk who treat everyone like shit. My fear is that she is going to tell you that your designated office for FP is Florida so you have to go there, I wish I will be wrong.

Re: Re: Re: N E E D Help.... 2nd Finger Printing Notice

Dude before saying me what you have just said please see your face on the mirror. Two days back you just creat tension between Edision and dsatish on immigration petition thread.

I just gave the best suggestion that the important thing at this point is to know whether the I-140 is still valid or not. And he could get the FP notice from the lawyer by just haggling with hime (It appears that he has already done that). The original mail leads us to believe that he has the option for almost a year either to switch to a new lawyer or retain the old one. I would not keep my immigration file on the mercy of a lawyer whose main intention is to represent my old company not me at all. I would rather retain a new one to oversee the penultimate procedure.

Remember the host of this site is a lawyer, by saying foul words (with the intention of including every lawyer) you are just insulting Rajiv.

Originally posted by sai-2367
Arn
You are one mean fellow!!!!
Without knowing his problem, how could you call him a miser.
I understand what he is going through. My friend was also in a similar situation with a law firm. These bas****s are mean guys. They will suck on your blood. My friend was depressed for months.

Understand this: The company already paid them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont wont you did not miss much

hi gauravsharma

You got your 2nd FP.That is a good signal you got it form BCIS.So as of now you are prefectly alright .First call BCIS and update your new address.Try to finish your FP asap.

I dont know how you are gonna move with your lawyer.I would say it is better to stay with your old lawyer as long as he dont need to file BCIS that you got a new lawyer or new job.But If he says he want to inform BCIS about your new job.you can get a good lawyer for cheaper rate.

good luck...

Re: Re: Re: Re: N E E D Help.... 2nd Finger Printing Notice

You are a interesting fellow. Aren't you.!!!!!
I am asking him to contact Rajiv, so that he can be ably guided.
I have seen my friend tortured and so i understand his pain, by a noted law firm.
What tension are you talking about ????

Originally posted by Arn
Dude before saying me what you have just said please see your face on the mirror. Two days back you just creat tension between Edision and dsatish on immigration petion thread.

I just gave the best suggestion that the important thing at this point is to know whether the I-140 is still valid or not. And he could get the FP notice from the lawyer by just haggling with hime (It appears that he has already done that). The original mail leads us to believe that he has the option for almost a year either to switch to a new lawyer or retain the old one. I would not keep my immigration file on the mercy of a lawyer whose main intention is to represent my old company not me at all. I would rather retain a new one to oversee the penultimate procedure.

Remember the host of this site is a lawyer, by saying foul words (with the intention of including every lawyer) you are just insulting Rajiv.

Lawyer

If your lawyer is asking < $2000, think of paying it. If you do that your GC will be guaranteed (in all likelyhood).

gauravsharma Fargo del (FDBL) is big

Hi FDBL is really big attorney firm. I was thinking they won't do business like this.
My case is also handled by FDBL.
In most cases company does not pay everything to attorney. They pay by steps.

Re: gauravsharma Fargo del (FDBL) is big

When you see someone close, suffer in similar kind of situations the first thing that comes to mind is: Why ?????.
FDBL is indeed a big law firm and have a very good reputation for handling cases, for corporate clients. Would they handle personal cases too ?
Originally posted by cgroad
Hi FDBL is really big attorney firm. I was thinking they won't do business like this.
My case is also handled by FDBL.
In most cases company does not pay everything to attorney. They pay by steps.

Ok guys, things seem to have hot up a bit...

Arn: My I-140 has NOT been revoked. This is confirmed news from FDBL (I have been in touch with them since Nov. 2002, but occasionally).

In any case I was with the Sponsoring Employer for more than 180 days and i did not leave my old employer......they did !!

My only concern is, what if i go to Arlington and they do not accept it and say I go to Florida for FP...What current address do i put in there ??? I will have to state VA address only?

Does anyone remember what are the various information fields that are required during FP. And now if i give them my current address of VA....more confusion !!!

cgroad : FDBL is a good law firm but when "sun shined they made hay"...now when the money is in their pocket (I-485 filed), they seem to have a different approach !!

dsatish: I had already (March 03) filed AR-11 with BCIS at their KY office, seems like it has not been updated till date.

My final take on this is:

(1) Go to Alexandria office next week, keeping my fingers crossed & see if they do our FP

(2) If above case is true, i would then call BCIS to update my new address (though i do believe once i go for FP, they would take my new address anyway!!!)

gauravsharma

When you goto any BCIS service center, they will give you an application to fill up. In that you can enter your new address. However, it will not automatically update your address in I-485 case (the lady who took my FP and entered my new address told me exactly like this - it will only update your finger print file and you need to send AR-11 form for address update on your I-485 case). I am not sure whether there will be seperate FP file maintained by BCIS for each individual.

They will ask for the FP notice, some kind of identification (DL or passport) and you need to enter your A# in the application (one on your EAD card). They might ask for your EAD card also. Also, carry some kind of proof of your current residence (electrictiy bill, telephone bill, etc) to show to the Arlington local office that you moved. Hope, the nasty lady (as brightstar quoted) is on some break or on leave that day - just kidding.

My FP was scheduled in Sacramento, CA on Aug 30th. I gave it on Aug 12th in Pheonix, AZ. I didn't have any problem. They asked me FP notice, DL and EAD.

Hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Good luck.