N-600 (one parent or both parents)

Huracan

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I have been filling out the N-600 form and I am trying to optimize it. I mean fill out as little as possible ;) Filling out the form has shown me that I have to send N-600 before I send passport application for my child. Otherwise I have to write an attachment to explain this and whatever result of the passport/certificate application. It seems more convenient to say (more than say is delay the passport application) that I haven't applied for passport/certificate and send the passport application after the N-600 is complete, dated and signed.

Other optimization I have seen is to use only one parent information. Because the CCA allows for automatic citizenship of child with only one parent I find more convenient to choose only one parent in my application and send only one naturalization certificate photocopy instead of the whole information for both parents. What have yourselves done? Have you filled out information for both parents? Sent both naturalization certificates copies? I have to note that even when filling only the information for one parent, the other parent information is also somewhat included as the spousal information in that section. Anyway, it is almost half the effort to do one parent instead of two ;)

My 2 cents.

Huracan,
Dunno abt the passport...but why dont u fill out both parents info - thats not too difficult right?

One word I guess, laziness. No, really I was also thinking that if I put only one parent then at the time of interview only one parent would need to go with the child. Furthermore if I were to choose the option that naturalization is because of both parents instead of one or the other I guess I would have to worry about getting the marriage certificate translated.

I've got another doubt on me. My child's birth certificate has my wife's maiden name (those are the instructions). I was going to put her in the N-600 as the parent that is the origin of my child naturalization. Because of this I am thinking about putting myself instead of my wife. You see the trend of trying to avoid translating the marriage certificate if I can avoid it. The idea is they might need the marriage certificate to match the maiden name to the married name. It's just the bother of the N-600, at least they are very clear about the areas of the form that don't need fill out because they don't apply to one's case. Still I was a bit bugged about having to put port of entry. I think it is irrelevant. I wasn't sure which one to put, so I put the entry when I came to work to the U.S. It's good that I still have the old passports and kind of remembered the U.S. city at the border crossing.

Furthermore I am trying to minimize the number of documents I need to send or that USCIS has to retrieve to determine my child's citizenship status. I am thinking if I just put let's say myself then I would need to send:
-2 passport pictures
-birth certificate copy (it's in English already ;)
-certificate of naturalization copy

PS: I know that most of it is a moot point and at most it should cause delay but no other problem, as USCIS already has all that information. Marriage certificate, birth certificates and everything else.

For whatever is worth I think I have made up my mind. I am going to fill out the parts 4 and 5 (i.e. father and mother information) but still select the first option in part 2.A, i.e. claiming citizenship through citizenship of a U.S. citizen father OR a U.S. citizen mother. Then I'll send copies of both naturalization certificates, the pictures and copy of the birth certificate. I won't send anything about the marriage certificate. I think this will work fine, and hopefully won't require them to retrieve my child's A file to retrieve the marriage certificate information.

My 2 cents.

I'm in a similar situation and was wondering if I need to fill in both 4 and 5.

Also they ask for country of citizenship of US father/mother...which makes no sense.. I guess they are asking about the country of citizenship before the father/mother became US citizens.

Also my son's birth certificate issued in India in English has my wife's name misspelled, I'm hoping this isn't going to cause a problem

I'm in a similar situation and was wondering if I need to fill in both 4 and 5.

Also they ask for country of citizenship of US father/mother...which makes no sense.. I guess they are asking about the country of citizenship before the father/mother became US citizens.

Also my son's birth certificate issued in India in English has my wife's name misspelled, I'm hoping this isn't going to cause a problem

My current plan is to fill both part 4 and 5. Don't have myself any issues with my child birth certificate except it has my wife's maiden name (it says that on the certificate, and the certificate is correct in that sense). Hopefully everything will be alright. Ultimately they have your child A-file and that should have all that info. For country of citizenship I am being cheeky and just putting U.S.A. I couldn't figure out if they were asking for prior country of citizenship so I assume they want current country of citizenship.

I am pretty sure at the end everything has to work out alright, because bottom line the whole thing is a formality. I don't worry about a denial, if I worry about something is about delays or asking for extra documents, but I am pretty optimistic :)

Yes, N600 doesn't have that much traffic. I would guess people should post this in life after citizenship forum, but there is not much traffic there either. Flydog had a lengthy N600 experience, other than that pretty dead on that front. I had trouble finding N600 posts in the past to find information. I guess as it is mostly a formality and not all posters have that situation it is a corner case issue.
My guess is that many posters come to the U.S. young (many as engineers) and have their kids here who are born U.S. citizens. There is fewer people who move to the U.S. with children (although there are many too). Quite a few don't bother with the cost of N-600 and the time when they can readily get a passport. I prefer to get a certificate for my child for the extra peace of mind.