N-600 Filing

Marais

Registered Users (C)
I will be filing my N-400 soon, when should I be able to file N-600 for my child , who is on greencard.

Thanks

You can apply for N-600 once you take the oath of citizenship (naturalize), not earlier than that. However, you should also apply for a passport book right after you naturalize, as your child will become a citizen automatically and it is faster to obtain a passport as proof of citizenship than a certificate of citizenship through N-600. Please feel free to add for more clarification if you have doubts about anything I've written.

Huracan, Thank you for your reply.

You mean, I can apply for my child along with my passport application?
So N-600 is intended for whom? I little bit confused. Please explain. thanks

Huracan, Thank you for your reply.

You mean, I can apply for my child along with my passport application?
So N-600 is intended for whom? I little bit confused. Please explain. thanks

Huracan is correct that once your N-400 is approved and you complete the naturalization oath, your children (provided they are under 18 and green card holders at the time) automatically become U.S. citizens at that point. It is also true that when you get a naturalization certificate, you can apply for passports for both yourself and your children without filing N-600 and without getting your children certificates of citizenship.

Filing N-600 is basically an optional procedure that can be skipped in many cases. Having a certificate of citizenship provides one of the ways for your children to document their U.S. citizenship; getting a U.S. passport is another such way (often quicker).

N-600 is intended for your children to obtain a certificate of citizenship as proof of their citizenship. Please read that carefully, "proof of citizenship". It is not to obtain citizenship because they do that automatically when you naturalize (as long as they meet the requirements of the child citizenship act of 2000, basically under 18 years of age, in your legal and physical custody and having a green card). For proof of citizenship you have the option of applying for passport (book and/or card) and/or applying for N-600 (certificate of citizenship). Passports are cheaper and faster to obtain. Certificates are more expensive but don't expire and create a record of citizenship within USCIS. I mentioned that you can apply for N-600 at the same time you apply for your passport because you only need to send photocopies of documents with the N-600 application, so you don't need to wait for your original certificate to come back after applying for your passport. The other point is that you cannot send N-600 application before you naturalize, as your son doesn't become a citizen until you complete your oath. I hope I haven't made it even more confusing.

Last edited by a moderator: