N-565 - Receipt Processing Time

alexy

I've lost my Certificate of Naturalization and would like to apply for a passport. Understand that I can get the passport with a Letter of Verification and a receipt indicating I have filed the N-565 form. In reviewing the N-565 form, the instructions indicate I have to mail it to the Nebraska Service Center

How long does it take to get the receipt? Any suggestion on the fastest way to get a receipt?

It should be a few weeks, two or three to get the receipt. When you apply for a passport ask for both the book and the card, so if you lose one you can still use the other to replace the lost document and don't need to do all this N-565 trouble. On the other hand I'm sure you'll try not to lose the certificate again. Good luck.

I've lost my Certificate of Naturalization and would like to apply for a passport. Understand that I can get the passport with a Letter of Verification and a receipt indicating I have filed the N-565 form. In reviewing the N-565 form, the instructions indicate I have to mail it to the Nebraska Service Center

How long does it take to get the receipt? Any suggestion on the fastest way to get a receipt?

How and where do you get the Letter of Verification from?
Thanks

Received Replacement Naturalization Papers in 6 Weeks

At InfoPass appointment, Detroit Immigration Dept indicated they would issue “Letter of Verification” with official receipt. Unfortunately, I didn’t have the receipt quite yet. I did end up over nighting my paperwork to the Nebraska processing center and I received the receipt back in about a week.

I never did further pursue the Letter of Verification though because I changed my travel plans as to not require a passport.

However, the very good news is that I received my replacement Naturalization paperwork within 6 weeks of when I filed the application. Anyone of the following items may have contributed to this very fast turn around time:
* My naturalization had only been 1 year earlier
* I had a copy of my original paper work to submit with the application
* I'm Canadian by birth
* I've lived in the US for 40 years

Hi Alexy,

Good to hear that. It's anybody's guess why it was so fast ;) Perhaps they are just processing cases faster. If I had your case number without the last 5 numbers I could probably tell you if most cases in your priority date have been approved or not, or if yours is one lucky anomaly. I don't have anything to lose or gain by you giving me that information, and you can send it to me via private message if this is something you'd like to find out.